Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

eljono wrote: »
    Yes indeed, possibly before lockdown 1 I guess? A very nice piece, I don't remember your VC as being particularly small, but I do recall it being nice and thin.

Yes it was before covid existed surely. We will do a little mini limerick meet when we all have our Vac passes.

Sadly I think my VC is edging towards the door. Terrific value for money for a holy trinity piece but...on wards and upwards is the name of the game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'll veer you towards vintage yet 893. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm behind Time in the queue for the VC.
    Still regret not buying it last time you toyed with letting it go.

Blue500 told me I need more colour in my SOTC ;)
    So it will have to be a blue something that gets added!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My Seamaster is running SUPER fast. As in it has gained 2 hours since yesterday. I was playing golf yesterday and had a magnetic marker on my glove. Reckon I have magnetised it, how do I fix that?

So I buried my head in the sand about this and it sat on my bedside locker until this week. I decided to pull said head out of the sand and wound it up a little and threw it on my wrist again. It's working flawlessly, touch wood, again and keeping time perfectly. I'd found a local watch repair guy and arranged to bring it to him but hadn't bothered. Omega/Rivoli had charged around €500 to service it this time last year and I was feeling sick about what a repair was going to cost.

I need to get the thumb out and bring my 1980s constellation out of the beside locker and get it ticking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

893bet wrote: »
    Yes it was before covid existed surely. We will do a little mini limerick meet when we all have our Vac passes.

Sadly I think my VC is edging towards the door. Terrific value for money for a holy trinity piece but...on wards and upwards is the name of the game.
    banie01 wrote: »
    I'm behind Time in the queue for the VC.
    Still regret not buying it last time you toyed with letting it go.

Blue500 told me I need more colour in my SOTC ;)
    So it will have to be a blue something that gets added!

Absolutely, a local meet in the future would be great.

@Banie, having seen 893's VC in the flesh, I can confirm that it is a lovely watch. Beautiful detailing and a gorgeous slim profile. I actually think though that the bracelet is my favourite detail, really like those Overseas bracelets with the channel down the centre, very unique to my eyes.

• Advertisement

In totally watch unrelated news!

I just got my appointment for my Covid vaccine!
    I'm both delighted, and kinda worried that I'm sicker than folk are letting on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm both delighted, and kinda worried that I'm sicker than folk are letting on :pac:

Congratulations, I'm still waiting.

Congratulations, I'm still waiting.

Can only assume I've been put into the Cat. 4 cohort.
    Have a few conditions that would put me in that group, but thought I was managing them better than the HSE think I am :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

Can only assume I've been put into the Cat. 4 cohort.
    Have a few conditions that would put me in that group, but thought I was managing them better than the HSE think I am :pac:

Dibs on your collection if you have a really severe reaction to the jab :D

Homer wrote: »
    Dibs on your collection if you have a really severe reaction to the jab :D

Can't argue with dibs...
    I'll let the Mrs know ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm a bit worried for you :(

My mother in law is 77, has a heart condition, has had blood clots, has cancer for which she is currently getting chemo, has kidney failure and can barely walk because she needs both knees replaced but the operations are too risky as she would have to be taken off heart medication for a while first. So whole house is adjusted with stair lifts etc.

And she did not get the vaccine yet :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried for you :(

My mother in law is 77, has a heart condition, has had blood clots, has cancer for which she is currently getting chemo, has kidney failure and can barely walk because she needs both knees replaced but the operations are too risky as she would have to be taken off heart medication for a while first. So whole house is adjusted with stair lifts etc.

And she did not get the vaccine yet :eek:

I tick a few boxes on the cat 4 algorithm but thought I was well in control of each.
    Thing is, each one no matter how well controlled, each is a further chink in my own ability to fight Covid.
    If I was as healthy as I like to think I am, I wouldn't be a 41y.o pensioner I suppose :(

Great setup at the Vax centre in Limerick, very efficient and I was in and out in 20 minutes.
    Whilst sitting in the post jab observation area, I got a call to let me know my M.I.L had suffered a collapse
    She passed away very suddenly.
    She was diagnosed with a terminal cancer but the decline was very rapid and unexpected.

I'm back to only having the one M.I.L again now.

P.S: I do not teach at a private school in Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Sorry to hear that Banie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Banie sorry to hear that mate. Stay safe.

My parents (both in their 80s) have had their first shots and are waiting their second.

My mum has had issues with blood clots recently too, and there has been much anxiousness until they were sorted.

It's tough times all round.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to hear that too banie. Stay safe yourself.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's tough Ban, but I suppose at least it was quick in the end. :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks everyone.
    Truth be told, I'm relieved she went quickly.
    She was given the terminal diagnosis in December but was adamant that she didn't want the Grandkids to be told.
    She wanted to Nana til the end if she could, and not have them worrying.
    She's gotten that at least, they will always remember fun Nana :) rather than her decline.

My lad has lost the last of the women who shaped him and supported him(and me) when we lost his Mam.
    Not a great way to spend his 17th birthday.
    The wife and I will look after him, and the rest of the family too and get through it.
    It won't be easy, but we have the tools and thanks to so many donations from folk here to the children's grief centre in Limerick a few months back...

We know where to go for help for the boys if the need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've had experience of working with kids who sadly had to go to the grief centre. They do amazing work, not just the kids but the wider family too. Didn't realise there was a donation made to them on here, well done and RIP to your mother in law.

I tick a few boxes on the cat 4 algorithm but thought I was well in control of each.
    Thing is, each one no matter how well controlled, each is a further chink in my own ability to fight Covid.
    If I was as healthy as I like to think I am, I wouldn't be a 41y.o pensioner I suppose :(

Sorry to hear about your MIL.

Regarding you getting vaccine before older folk in group 4, it might be random selection. I don't think time allows them to categorise group 4 folk into too much order TBH.

I've had experience of working with kids who sadly had to go to the grief centre. They do amazing work, not just the kids but the wider family too. Didn't realise there was a donation made to them on here, well done and RIP to your mother in law.

Yeah they really do fantastic work up there.
    Not just with bereavement either, but family breakup and separation too.
    They were a godsend for us when when my son lost my Mam, his other Nan.
    It really brought losing his Mam back to the fore and the counselling offered up there was brilliant in giving him the tools to cope.

I gave away a few Invictas on the free watch thread and it snowballed into a charity fund raising effort on the back of one of us wanting a specific one of the watches.
    Rather than sell it, I said throw a donation to the grief centre.
    It snowballed from there and the generosity shown was brilliant and very much appreciated by Sr Helen and co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-business/

Had a segment on watches this morning by Shane Hegarty(?)

Nice little segment for the wider public - Solaswatches - Thirdfox- got a positive mention which is nice to hear!

He also mentionedMcGonigle, and another brand I hadn't hear of...Siderius? Any ideas?

Might be worth a listen - from about 60% through - although I enjoyed the whole programme - the piece on canals was good - shame he rushed it a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

blindsider wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-business/

Had a segment on watches this morning by Shane Hegarty(?)

Nice little segment for the wider public - Solaswatches - Thirdfox- got a positive mention which is nice to hear!

He also mentionedMcGonigle, and another brand I hadn't hear of...Siderius? Any ideas?

Might be worth a listen - from about 60% through - although I enjoyed the whole programme - the piece on canals was good - shame he rushed it a bit....

Sidereus watches - Bryan manufactures his cases here in Ireland in his workshop so it's Swiss movements with inhouse Irish design and case/dial (and maybe hands too(?)) manufacturing - a lovely option based on Newgrange/Knowth and Dowth.

There's also Oilean - the other McGonigle brother's brand if I recall correctly - which is based on reworking high end Swiss movements (like a Dornbleuth I imagine) so the prices aren't as astronomically high compared to a made from scratch McGonigle tourbillon or minute repeater.

Shane writes for Tide + Time too so it's great to get some Irish perspectives on the watchmaking industry (very apt point about Apple being larger than all the Swiss put together :D )

Boom... - does this kinda upend the Zenith Defy Inventor (at 1/3rd the price) and also give the Spring Drive a run for its money too (from its Citizen group competitor no less):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBjtEoHnV70

40hz (80 ticks per second so even smoother than the Zenith Defy), 80hr power reserve, fully mechanical and using similar silicon escapement tech as the Zenith. I believe FC mentioned that the whole watch is less than 10mm high too (compared to Zenith's 14.5mm for a 3 hander watch).

I'm very impressed - they've taken the Zenith Defy Inventor and made it 1/3 the price, kept it slim and even added a date onto it - just need to confirm the accuracy rating but this (in my eyes) is a strong competitor to both Spring Drive and the Zenith Defy Lab/Inventor.

At 4.3k rrp I'm really happy to see that the Zenith tech is making its way down into "normal" prices - and super glad I got the Octo Finissimo over the Defy Inventor now :D

That's very cool indeed. Gerard Perregaux have their constant force escapement with silicon spring too, though not nearly as cool or potentially accurate as the FC innovation. I note they said no oil required, but looking at the slo mo of the pallet wheel interaction with the "forks" that looks like a lot of sliding action, especially at that high frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Looks cool but seems like a Breguet homage in design .

I think that's FC's style from the beginning - would like to see them do a sports model with it (and maybe hide the "jittery bug" escapement leaving just the buttery smooth hands gliding).

I can add this to "innovations in watchmaking" when Wibbs asks if any innovations have come about in the last 20 years in mechanical watchmaking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I dont know about you guys but as the "watch guy" my family tend to give me anything watch related they find.

Got sent this by my mother in law. A Smiths Rally timer. Works fine, but the movement feel like it runs on an elastic band and its made of plastic.

Honestly it wears a little big also

PXL-20210327-201547618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

As a Speedmaster owner (and fan), I get a bit sick about the constant grift. I do like the look of it but...

https://www.omegawatches.com/omega-watch-straps-2-piece-grey-speedmaster-moonwatch-velcror-strap-032cwz016040w?utm_source=IGShopping&utm_medium=Social

Very cool Smiths rally stopwatch F. 60/70's IIRC. As fitted to a few British marque rally cars in period. There's a matching clock from what I recall. All you need now is the works Mini Cooper. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lads, start changing those watches. Ye might be finished by 2 a.m. (or whatever the f time it'll be then)

Advertisement