Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If you are not too fussy, there are dealsto be had.
    Moon watch fans tend to be fairly picky, so things like service dials, bezels, and hands put them off, as do polished cases and scuffed bracelets.

If you are looking for one to be an ownership experience, especially long term, then there are good ones, though not what you'd call bargains, to hand.

The sales threads of Omegaforums.net are good because they are literally policed by fanatics, so nothing claiming to be something it isn't will get through :)

But for a sapphire sandwich, full set, you'd be talking closer to €4k, looking at some recent sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A very sad tale off poor customer service here from a surprising quarter. A horror story for any premium watch owner.
    https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/vmh-service-center-turns-the-warranty-repair-of-my-zenith-defy-el-primero-21-into-a-nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    A very sad tale off poor customer service here from a surprising quarter. A horror story for any premium watch owner.
    https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/vmh-service-center-turns-the-warranty-repair-of-my-zenith-defy-el-primero-21-into-a-nightmare

Yer man sounds difficult.....! “They sent a two day label, no urgency” lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Not wanting to hijack the thread for the fella selling his Breitling,

Time said "About 4K, 25-30% off breitling from an AD would be about standard,"

Is this true for all models? I am on the fence for a Superocean 42 on steel, and looking at pricing now

Cheers

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Dont buy Breitling new lads......get them second hand, let somebody else take the depreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    Dont buy Breitling new lads......get them second hand, let somebody else take the depreciation.

^^100% This^^
    Breitling are great, I have one, I love it but I'd never pay full whack for one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this,

i like breitlings, have had more than one, but if you are buying new be prepared to be wedded to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

TBH I would have that opinion about every model that retails over €1k.

It's like a new car. As soon as you drive of the forecourt that's a few grand down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

It's like a new car. As soon as you drive of the forecourt that's a few grand down the drain.

With a car I can understand you having chosen every single detail (colour, trim, options etc) to get "*exactly* what you want and paying a premium for that - with a watch there's very little options to choose from really.

BUT! If you compare it to buying jewellery - are you going to gift your gf/wife/mistress some 2nd hand Tiffany rings or is there something special about purchasing new too? Logic and luxury aren't necessarily compatible - ir rather luxury has a logic of its own :D

Exactly, except a second hand car can never be rendered new they degrade over time and with use...but an old watch can be serviced and polished and its 99% new afterwards. The majority of "new" watches in a AD window will have been on the wrists of 40 chaps before you anyway.

There are very few watches that are worth buying new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Thirdfox wrote: »
    With a car I can understand you having chosen every single detail (colour, trim, options etc) to get "*exactly* what you want and paying a premium for that - with a watch there's very little options to choose from really.

BUT! If you compare it to buying jewellery - are you going to gift your gf/wife/mistress some 2nd hand Tiffany rings or is there something special about purchasing new too? Logic and luxury aren't necessarily compatible - ir rather luxury has a logic of its own :D

Ah well come on now, buying jewellery for the wife is whole different ball game. I am talking about watches for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I dunno. What do you gift your mistress TF?

I dunno. What do you gift your mistress TF?
    :pac:
    The eagrán bradán feasa by the looks of it......he he he :pac::pac::pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    I have just done a little fiddling with IFTTT to create an alert for me if a Longines VPH shows up for sale over there.
    There is a 43mm black pvd version that's caught my eye, but a Blue on a bracelet would be the preference.
    They are changing hands over there at a nice discount from RRP and Watchrecon is showing only one funnily enough in Ireland!
    But alas not a GMT model.

Will let the thread know how IFTTT holds up for finding anything.

I did say I'd let the thread know how this worked out.
    I have an applet set to trigger an alert for Longines Conquest list on r/watchexchange and it is working really well IMO.
    It's triggering as well as I can hope, I've not bought one yet as most of the stuff coming up is not VHP and funds are tight at the moment.

The prices on Reddit are very competitive for what is being listed tho.

I have an applet set to trigger an alert for Longines Conquest list on r/watchexchange and it is working really well IMO.
    It's triggering as well as I can hope, I've not bought one yet as most of the stuff coming up is not VHP and funds are tight at the moment.

What’s vhp if you don’t mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

You'll regret telling us that now, because we'll all be onto you looking for alerts on watches we want.

Cyrus wrote: »
    What’s vhp if you don’t mind me asking ?

It's the Very High Precision quartz similar implementation to the Seiko 9f but obviously not as well finished or regarded.
    There is GMT version that caught my eye so I'm on the hunt.
    Conquest-large-wrist-1024x683.jpg
    Time wrote: »
    You'll regret telling us that now, because we'll all be onto you looking for alerts on watches we want.

Not at all ;) happy to help out if I can and I'll run thru a quick set up guide for IFTTT aswell if anyone's interested?
    The free version allows users to create 3 applets.

It's the Very High Precision quartz similar implementation to the Seiko 9f but obviously not as well finished or regarded.
    There is GMT version that caught my eye so I'm on the hunt.
    Conquest-large-wrist-1024x683.jpg

Not at all ;) happy to help out if I can and I'll run thru a quick set up guide for IFTTT aswell if anyone's interested?
    The free version allows users to create 3 applets.

I’d be interested! Is it not mostly us centric on Reddit though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Just today I bought a watch on r/watchexchange. It is mainly US, but if you can find a EU based seller you can get a great deal because there are not many EU buyers either.

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’d be interested! Is it not mostly us centric on Reddit though ?

Lots of US sellers, but many will ship international if asked.
    I have bought a couple of pieces there 1 from EU and 1 from US, also sold my Sinn bracelet there in like 15 minutes!

The transaction tracking for user feedback is a great system too IMO.
    Surprising amount of US dealers sell via that channel too.
    Lots of weird and wonderful pieces too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Lots of US sellers, but many will ship international if asked.
    I have bought a couple of pieces there 1 from EU and 1 from US, also sold my Sinn bracelet there in like 15 minutes!

The transaction tracking for user feedback is a great system too IMO.
    Surprising amount of US dealers sell via that channel too.
    Lots of weird and wonderful pieces too.

Did you get stung for customs? That’s what’s put me off buying from there.

Time wrote: »
    Did you get stung for customs? That’s what’s put me off buying from there.

No, the only time I've been caught for customs on any watch purchases has been bloody creation watches.

It's person to person trading so it's very much DYOR.
    But many sellers will even do PayPal goods and services at an extra 3.5% so you'd have recourse that way if it went bad.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Interesting.

I think the best natural material for a watch would be nephrite - aka Jade. While diamond is the hardest mineral, jade is the toughest, which means it is structurally strong and resists breaking or chipping more than any other mineral. It's so tough it's been used for tools such as hammers. The Maoris made various instruments from it for caving in opponents skulls. True overkill.

South Australia has a deposit of black jade, which I think would be a cool material to make a watch from. I have a few Kg of it:

9B3tKsPG_o.jpg

v0p2rPWH_o.jpg

Jade is usually thought of as being green, with that type getting it's colour from iron oxide traces. In typical Australian fashion, it's black Jade is actually green but has so much iron oxide it looks black, but get it thin enough to shine light through and you can see it - as in the small chip above.

Jade can take on a pretty good polish so black jade could look not unlike a black ceramic, though it would be far stronger.

Responding here since this is our chat thread :)

I'm not so sure Jade has great chipping resistance - just ask any Chinese lady about their bracelets ;) - it's an extremely popular (and expensive - much more so than gold) material in China and a lot of money is made from people breaking their bracelets and needing a jade bracelet replacement...

Speaking of value - last time the burglar visited our home they took a gold necklace of my wife's - but left my matching pendant as it was on string... they obviously just wanted the gold but the "green stone" that was on the gold necklace was worth about 50x more than the gold itself (at least in China) - so the positive thing was that mine was left because they saw no value in it, but (in the circumstances) we'd have been happy to let them take the gold if they just left the jade behind - they probably just tossed the green stone anyway as it has no cash value in Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are two different minerals that are called Jade - one is nephrite and the other is jadeite, which is slightly harder but is nothing like as tough as nephrite.
    Toughness measures the brittleness or the ability of a material (or in this case a mineral) to break. According to the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources of British Columbia the fracture strength of nephrite is about 200 MN/m2 whereas that of jadeite is about 100 MN/m2 which is an impressive quality of nephrite. It is commonly known as the toughest natural mineral on earth.
    https://polarjade.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/nephrite/

Nephrite on a microscopic scale, is composed of mineral fibres that form a sort of tangled mess of interlocking strands, sort of like a mineral felt. It's this, as opposed to having an ordered crystaline structure with planes that can cleave, that makes nephrite so tough.

It's so resistant to breaking and chipping, I believe in America, some early settlers used hammer heads made of nephrite to drive in steel nails.

cnocbui wrote: »
    There are two different minerals that are called Jade - one is nephrite and the other is jadeite, which is slightly harder but is nothing like as tough as nephrite.

https://polarjade.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/nephrite/

Nephrite on a microscopic scale, is composed of mineral fibres that form a sort of tangled mess of interlocking strands, sort of like a mineral felt. It's this, as opposed to having an ordered crystaline structure with planes that can cleave, that makes nephrite so tough.

It's so resistant to breaking and chipping, I believe in America, some early settlers used hammer heads made of nephrite to drive in steel nails.

Sonething that tough may be difficult to fashion with traditional tooling then…which then leads to increased costs again (not from material but actually working the material - like aventurine - wastage costs from dials breaking etc.)

Tungsten is hard to machine - as Fitz says he uses tungsten *as* the drilling material (pretty sure my Bosch drill uses tungsten bits too)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sonething that tough may be difficult to fashion with traditional tooling then…which then leads to increased costs again (not from material but actually working the material - like aventurine - wastage costs from dials breaking etc.)

Tungsten is hard to machine - as Fitz says he uses tungsten *as* the drilling material (pretty sure my Bosch drill uses tungsten bits too)

Everything is almost like butter to diamonds. I have managed to slice a piece off my bigger block of jade using a diamond lapidary saw blade, and as you can see, from the photo, The other block has been cut quite nicely to a pretty nice finish. It's probably not harder to work than obsidian, but the resultant object would be tougher, so bits like strap lugs would be stronger.

The difficulty with machining is most often due to hardness. Nephrite isn't particularly hard, so it can be worked without too much bother: https://discoveries.co.nz/products/jade-fish-hook-pendant-js004

JP024.jpg?v=1588486862

Ah jasus lads, a jade watch....where you you guys come up with this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

95c0d46b-e252-45df-8198-b4f7b41f94e6.jpg

:D

A jade dial might be nice though?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    A jade dial might be nice though?

Looking at that yolk it would likely be an abomination up there with the wooden watch.

raw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jade is a truly wonderful material, with a lustrous near magical quality to it in the best examples and history is full of same from a few places in the world, but my god the Chinese knocked it out of the feckin park. That said it really doesn't strike me as a watch material at all. Its quality of being both hard in material and soft in the working doesn't lend itself to the scale of watches in my humble. Wood the same. In cases anyway watches are metal, though plastics can work, as can carbon fibre. Steel, gold, platinum. It's a pity silver has gone out of favour, as it ages nicely especially when worn, kinda like pearls. Though it is a soft metal, hence it was in use for so long as it's much easier to work(as is gold). Electrum a mix of gold and silver might be interesting and that has a long history as a precious alloy. Bronze got a lift recently, though the best bronze is aged and you can't really do that artificially, or enough to make it right, so I find bronze watches a bit coppery(well duh. :D). True aged bronze is gorgeous with serious depth to it, though that surface is fragile. Tungsten is very cool and very heavy. Iron is an interesting metal depending on the mix and carbon content. Part of me would love to go full Tutankhamun and have a gold case with a lapis lazuli dial. Bling like an Egyptian.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement