Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

She will end up with a tennis bracelet or heavy gold necklace at this rate.

Tennis bracelets are for mistresses, never wife's! ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was thinking a diamond horseshoe broach for the mistress....

* I wonder how many people will know what I mean?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cyrus wrote: »
    What was it liz Taylor said to the journalist who told her that her diamond ring was vulgar , she told the lady to try it on and then said to her not so vulgar now is it :D
    Set as a pendant no, as a ring? Just a tad Imelda Marcos to my eye. Then again personally I never liked diamonds as a gem. Over valued bloodless looking yokes. OK very large weight diamonds well cut are cool, but it's more a feeling of never mind the quality, feel the width to them. Rubies and sapphires are much superior imho.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    This may have already been suggested, but a Longines may be a good option. Well known brand without being ostentatious, lots of different styles, and pricing is usually reasonable.
    Very popular women's brand in the Far East alright, but doesn't have nearly the same suburban social cache in the West(if she cares about that in the first place). I'd go secondhand for one too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    Set as a pendant no, as a ring? Just a tad Imelda Marcos to my eye. Then again personally I never liked diamonds as a gem. Over valued bloodless looking yokes. OK very large weight diamonds well cut are cool, but it's more a feeling of never mind the quality, feel the width to them. Rubies and sapphires are much superior imho.

Alexandrite - got my wife a (lab created) one - green in daylight like emeralds and purple/red like rubies in firelight/incandescent lighting. A beautiful gemstone and very expensive if naturally mined.

A nice cabochon star sapphire is beautiful too.

• Advertisement

Why oh why did I not just turn around and leave when I 1st stumbled into this corner of Boards?
    Watches, they are bloody pervasive and alluring and so hard to say no to ;)
    I spent a little time with some real beauties earlier and now...?
    I'm lying to Mrs and talking %'s rather than prices :pac:
    I'll baffle her with man maths and live to tell the tale with a bit of luck :D

I'll bring flowers to your untimely send off. May even hire a suit. :D

banie01 wrote: »
    Why oh why did I not just turn around and leave when I 1st stumbled into this corner of Boards?

After you get the Mrs. a Pearlmaster you might find it easier to convince her of the value of "nice" watches :D - in MsThirdfox's exact words "I never thought Rolex or yellow gold looked good until it was on my wrist" :D - 2nd benefit was that it allows me to claim that she now has the most expensive watch in our household (rrp at least) so a "small" watch purchase is harder to say no to ;)

...Though to be honest - nowadays my small watch purchases tend to be incomplete pieces of watch parts - salmon samples, dials, bezel mechanisms etc :pac: - last watch purchase was a semi-professional WR tester (not the fancy electronic print out testers yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

“It’s an investment”.

I have been a total watch slut this week with a second dodgy car park watch meet.

D0-D14610-CCFD-4-EDA-AE55-0-B9-BEA09-F7-A9.jpganonymous pic hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just for dreamers like me, how much roughly is that photo worth?

• Advertisement

A thousand words?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    A thousand words?

Well I don't know about words but there was quite a bit of drooling and the best(not the priciest tho) piece IMO isn't even in that shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I was thinking a diamond horseshoe broach for the mistress....

* I wonder how many people will know what I mean?!

Only if you’re breaking up with her

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just for dreamers like me, how much roughly is that photo worth?

BTW - scammers sometimes actually sell photos of watches on eBay... i.e. they describe the whole watch, all the details etc. and at the bottom put it in bold letters that THIS IS ONLY A PHOTO OF A WATCH, NOT THE ACTUAL WATCH ITSELF...

You see pictures of Rolexes being sold for thousands...hopefully the buyer paid by Paypal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or she may see Rolex as a bit too brash, "nouveau"

I used to see Rolex pretty much like that. Just ignorance mostly. But there's no denying that Rolex would be the first port of call for your common criminal - lombroso - footballer type who came into a bit of money easily and wants to buy a watch :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

unkel wrote: »
    - footballer type who came into a bit of money easily and wants to buy a watch :p

Rolex is a bit too common for the Premier league types. Footballers do love a Hublot with aspirations for a RM. Rolex is more of a corporate middle manager who just got a promotion sort of watch. The Joe soap middle managers can't afford them anymore.

This is the battle as the sickness grows. I'm trying to formulate a strategy to justify a yachtmaster to the Mrs and the "investment" argument just won't cut mustard. There is just zero interest there and when you look at luxury watches as disposable consumer items which most people do with all products these days, then they seem massively overpriced and none more so than with Rolex where you need to spend 12k to get a 6k watch.

In many ways its not an enjoyable hobby because it just promotes a level of greed and desire within that you didn't realise you possessed. You always want something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

redlead wrote: »
    Rolex is a bit too common for the Premier league types. Footballers do love a Hublot with aspirations for a RM. Rolex is more of a corporate middle manager who just got a promotion sort of watch. The Joe soap middle managers can't afford them anymore.

Have a look at Instagram, rolex is the quintessential premier league watch. It's the standard, the odd guy who gets into watches buys AP or PP. But footballers are no different to anyone else in the general public. Expensive watch = rolex so go right there. Rolex will have a style to suit anyones tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This watch hobby is expensive no doubt and getting more so. And quality watches are, and should always be a considered purchase. I think if you dont have to consider the purchase you are not playing at your level. (and there are levels to this, progression of taste, and appreciation of smaller and smaller differences)

Your collection is getting better and better Baine. You new acquisition is a connoisseurs watch.

I am lucky that although my wife thinks I am absolutely bonkers, she is supportive so long as I am paying all the bills I should, completing my savings and pensions and not getting into any debt. I dont ask permission. Watches are a fairly liquid asset so really if you have 20k in watches there is only really about 4k at risk.
    In many ways its not an enjoyable hobby because it just promotes a level of greed and desire within that you didn't realise you possessed. You always want something else.

Men need hobbies, men without hobbies run into lots of trouble. The detectorists (one of the greatest TV shows of all time) put it so well.

I thought it interesting that myself, Cyrus and Fitz, which at any time are three fairly expensive collections.......all three of the have all largely dumped Rolex from our collection (except for Fitz Daytona).

Do I think the general public is driving away from Rolex. Definitely not. The opposite is easier argue. Could the “profile” of the average Rolex customer be changing? Perhaps.

After looking at the dross Rolex served up as “new” watches it makes me glad I am not financially invested in them at the moment at least. Would I buy if I could at retail. You bet your ass I would. And the watch wouldn’t have time to scrap off a single layer of skin before I would be extracting the profit from it.

I thought the recent watchfinder video was good on the Cellini, while obviously they have a vested interest in selling out of favour watches I thought they made the good point about rebuying Rolex. The design has changed so little in 50 years, which is both good and bad......, for the sub as an example, that once you have had one.......that’s it......you have done the sub........I couldn’t get excited for a sub, or a gmt or datejust......

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Your collection is getting better and better Baine. You new acquisition is a connoisseurs watch.

Well...
    That's the cat out of the bag ;):D

Thanks for that, coming from someone with a collection such as yours it means a lot.
    It's been quite a quick descent to madness, last year I wanted the watch but couldn't quite reconcile me a year ago dropping that much on "just" a watch.

Fast forward a year, I tried it on hoping that it would look awkward or small on me just so I'd have an excuse not to pull the trigger.
    It was just so nice on the wrist tho, that as soon as I'd handled it I told 893 the deal was done
    893 is a gent and his own collection is quite eyewateringly beautiful too.

He didn't like my Astronaut tho ;) so taste is a bit questionable :pac:

Well...
    That's the cat out of the bag ;):D

:

Spill the beans Banie ....

Spill the beans Banie ....

Sure Fitz spilt them earlier ;)
    I met up with 893 for a bit of filthy carpark watch dogging and the VC (both of the VCs actually!) really took my breath away and it was an instant buy from me.

I'm the happy and contented owner of a blue dialled VC steel sports watch :D

I met up with 893 for a bit of filthy carpark watch dogging and the VC (both of the VCs actually!) really took my breath away and it was an instant buy from me.

We told our wife’s we were going dogging.

They both said “****ing sick of your lying, it’s ****ing watches you are going looking at”

Wow congrats. That's a beauty.

Wow congrats. That's a beauty.

As I said to 893...
    It feels like my very 1st grown up watch!

I don't know how I break it to the others that they are basically Cinderella watches now and I shall be their wicked stepmother :pac:

Banie I could be mistaken but weren't you on here about a year ago the proud owner of a collection of invictas and now you're waltzing around with a holy trinity on your wrist? You haven't just caught the watch collecting sickness, you're are riddled "-P

This time next year you will have a George Daniels!

Banie I could be mistaken but weren't you on here about a year ago the proud owner of a collection of invictas and now you're waltzing around with a holy trinity on your wrist? You haven't just caught the watch collecting sickness, you're are riddled "-P

This time next year you will have a George Daniels!

Ah now in fairness the Invictas were a spur of the moment purchase because I wanted I think it was the titanium one? :P
    Much like Fitz and the Vostok, I needed to see what the fuss was about :pac:
    But they came as a job lot of 4, I have no Invicta's now.

2 went to mates, and 2 went to the freebie thread here where they raised quite a bit of cash for the children's grief project here in Limerick.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to that by the way, publicly and privately.

But yeah my trajectory has been a bit mad, I think when I 1st posted here I had a promaster and 1 or 2 others.
    Now I still have my promaster and a few other bits that I am happy with but always room for more ;)

893bet wrote: »
    Do I think the general public is driving away from Rolex. Definitely not. The opposite is easier argue. Could the “profile” of the average Rolex customer be changing? Perhaps.
    I'd reckon the profile within the watch nutter community has shifted from Rolex of late alright. While there can be some small overlap with Average Bloke buying a watch in a jewellers they tend to be different markets. Marketing of course works on both, but your watch nutters tend to be more discerning when it comes to the gap between "value" and "quality" and of late Rolex prices have jumped that shark to a large degree. And of course it loses those unwilling or unable to buy at the current prices.

There's somewhat similar going on with the vintage crowd and has been for a while and not just with old Rolex, though they're a different market again. As supply dried up and prices went north, more and more seem to have drifted away. Though I would say the vintage crowd are far more likely to be collectors first, rather than watch collectors if you know what I mean, so more likely to salve their collecting impulse elsewhere.

Then you have the more recent instagram I shave my wrists type buyers, who need to feed the wrist arms race beast of weekly updates of the "new", so you get more flippers than a pinball machine expo. A different market again.
    I thought they made the good point about rebuying Rolex. The design has changed so little in 50 years, which is both good and bad......, for the sub as an example, that once you have had one.......that’s it......you have done the sub........I couldn’t get excited for a sub, or a gmt or datejust......
    That's a huge part of Rolex's genius though. They've taken the high ground of safe and solid and stayed that way for decades. There's nothing there to shock the leafy suburban buyer who wants to safely telegraph a particular kind of success without having to consider it too much. They take most of the decision making out of it. A self awarded medal of honor for the newly minted middle class. It's no wonder they've exploded in the US market in the last few decades. The Porsche 911 is or at least was a similar beast(BMW and especially Tesla have eaten into that pie in latter years). It's why before the prices went daft I would always point to a Sub as a "good watch" if a non watch guy asked me advice on what to buy. I knew that if they did get one - and two I know did - they'd not come back saying I steered them wrong. Cartier Tank for the ladies similarly.
    He didn't like my Astronaut tho ;) so taste is a bit questionable :pac:
    The first watch my eye was drawn to. :D Though to be fair generally speaking the chap who seeks out and buys an Astronaut is a very different beast to the chap who seeks out and buys a new [insert luxury brand here]. You with your new VC and an Astronaut, well you're just a bloody oddball. :D

• Advertisement

Now now Wibbs - I think we can safely say that regular posters on the watch forums are ALL oddballs (to the general population :D ) - whether you're oohing and aahing over a Casioak or a Royal Oak - a Vostok or a VC a lot of "normies" ;) will just say "but my Apple watch can send me my appointment notications and track my heartbeats" :)

But watches are much healthier than cigarettes, alcohol or mistresses so I agree with Fitz's opinion - men need a hobby, my father loves his gardening, I love little gears running around that has a semblance of utility over pure jewellery :P

Advertisement