Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm in D15, front window looks at the border.

Are you anywhere close by?
    I have the necessaries, if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Went to my GP today to get my first Covid vaccination jab and the guy they had on the door and showing you where to go had a watch that caught my eye. I asked him if it was a Rolex but no he said it was a Bulova Super Seville from around 1980.
    I took a photo, think he was a bit chuffed I'd noticed it. He liked my San Martin diver.

551772.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pic, I was in a hurry as I didn't want to take up his time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We think of homages as a quite modern thing, but back then you'd see "datejusts" from all sorts of mainstream brands. Not just them. Any currently fashionable design would get passed around the other brands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Or Tudor doing the completely different "Justdate" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I bought my wife a Junghans Max Bill last summer. We have subsequently got to the bottom of why she kept buying out of date food. She didn't even know that you need to reset the date every few months and is genuinely annoyed that the watch doesn't do this for her. I tried to explain the joys of an annual calendar watch but was sent on my way before I could bore her about perpetual calendars! Just another daily interaction of a watch nut being surrounded by people with zero interest :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

redlead wrote: »
    I tried to explain the joys of an annual calendar watch but was sent on my way before I could bore her about perpetual calendars! Just another daily interaction of a watch nut being surrounded by people with zero interest :-)

You are in a safe space, surrounded by people who can relate to your pain :D

My Mrs really appreciates the aesthetics of some of my watches, aswell being very vocal in outright hatred of some others I've had (I'm looking at you B&R!).
    But her wrist is solely the domain of quartz watches, bracelets and a mi-band!
    The mechanics and the wondrousness of the little gears and tiny clutch plates are just waffle to her...

Much the same way as I feel about her gardening efforts really :P
    Lovely to look at but, I'm not doing it :pac:

My son is developing a taste for watches, its a shared interest albeit his taste is towards smaller pieces and gold.
    I am looking forward to his waist and wrist catching up to his height and laughing my arse off at a 28mm tank engulfed by a wrist suddenly proportionate to his 6'3" height!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Much as I appreciate a mechanical movement in a watch to be completely honest the most low-maintenance, practical watch is a tough solar radio-controlled one like the Casio Wave Ceptor that costs about €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I am about to get into this too.

I have bought my wife a 1980s Rado Voyager automatic day, date.

It is a lovely blue dial, steel case and 33mm, so just a nice size. I got a nice blue crocodile strap for it too and will present it to her for her birthday in a few days.

It will be her first auto, Swiss, vintage etc.

Wish me luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Much as I appreciate a mechanical movement in a watch to be completely honest the most low-maintenance, practical watch is a tough solar radio-controlled one like the Casio Wave Ceptor that costs about €70.

My perpetual calendar Citizen eco-drive, might not be the best looking time piece ever made, but it's definitely one of the most practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had one before, funny setting your €1000 watch using your €30 watch.

The one feature I found handy on a watch is the tide graph on your bog standard casio. Most mechanical complications are a load of shíte tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

All this talk of wives, have ye ever considered how many watches ye could afford if ye were married to watch collecting instead :D

I fell in love with the Mido Ocean Star Decompression Timer 1961 this week and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole researching assembling my own homage to it. I'll have two months this summer with no work and it could be a hobby.

https://watchilove.com/mido-ocean-star-decompression-timer-1961

Would it be feasible to buy an NH35 / SW200 / Miyota, an appropriate case, hands or whatever, and a blank black dial, and then jerry rigging a homemade pad printer to paint the rainbow if I could design my own dial and have it laser etched somewhere? I've never done anything like it but would be willing to throw some money at it and give it a go.

The alternatives to pad printing seem to be decal paper or just printing a dial on some type of paper or sticker and attaching that to a thin dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Does anyone on the forum own a Cartier Tank Solo WSTA0028? I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience of owning a tank, if it's worth getting etc. As a dress watch I find it hard to be beaten. The rectangular face, roman numerals give it a sense of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

My wife has one - its a nice watch. Here it is in comparison to a Black Bay 58.

Screenshot-2021-05-02-082606.png

Its not very big in reality and you would want to be a small boned bloke to pull it off. I think nicer on the strap she has the bracelet also but it has a non tapering design that is weird on a watch this size. The strap has the worlds worst deployant very hard to open and close.

It is a classic watch and very dressy. Its quartz so no problems there and it makes it nice and thin.

I would try it on when shops reopen. I think they are cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    Its not very big in reality and you would want to be a small boned bloke to pull it off.
    I'd agree with this 100%. It's very much a dress design from a time when men were scrawnier and watches were smaller anyway. I'd definitely try one on first. Personally I think the Cartier Santos is more of a modern "man's watch".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

furiousox wrote: »
    RIP Michael Collins.

“I am alone now, truly alone, and absolutely isolated from any known life. I am it.
    If a count were taken, the score would be three billion plus two over on the other side of the moon, and one plus God knows what on this side.”
    ― Michael Collins, Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117027474&postcount=2129

Impressive attention to detail in the fifth episode of the excellent For All Mankind TV series I'm currently watching:

For-All-Mankind-Omega.jpg

An earlier episode has one of the astronauts return home to find his speedmaster on the lawn after his wife failed to spot it after throwing his stuff out and then being cajoled into reconsidering. I suspect Omega had to pay for that in your face close up.

Not really watch related, and despite all the pics I didn't even take a wristie.

Discovered a new walk along the river this morning that was really lovely.
    Then had the added bonus of a lovely, I'm going to guess ketch? But I'm likely wrong ;)
    Coming up the Shannon and into Limerick.

This walk is a 5 minute drive from my house and I never knew it was there!
    Credit to my Mrs for finding it.
    After that stroll, we had a spin out to Bunratty for a snack.

The cows, well my Mrs was taken away with the cows all moving as one to the water trough at 11.30.
    She never knew cows had elevenses :pac:

IMG-20210502-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210502-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210502-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210502-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20210502-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20210502-WA0020.jpg
    MVIMG-20210502-123232.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Cattle are herd animals so follow the leader. One moves. They all move. Ours back in the shed. Combination of no grass, sluggish growth and a flood due tomorrow.

9-C44-B7-B0-BA16-4579-BB6-C-49518-DEB1-C7-A.jpg

A8302-A88-2-FD2-4343-AD9-F-73-D6-E7-FBBA9-B.jpg

This fella loves the taste of an ALS. He wouldn’t bother licking a Tag for example.

E7848184-E3-E1-4-E58-8-FF2-884-A31-D8223-E.jpg

If there is a pic of the week competition, 893 wins it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd agree with this 100%. It's very much a dress design from a time when men were scrawnier and watches were smaller anyway. I'd definitely try one on first. Personally I think the Cartier Santos is more of a modern "man's watch".

I'm a big fan of the Santos, particularly the XL, I've never tried one, but quite fancy one in the future if I ever decide to move on the Globemaster. Although a Reverso Grand Date would also be very tempting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a Seiko skx007 serviced (and a rough cost for same)?

I only have it about 2 years and it's losing A LOT of time. Like almost 2-4 minutes over a week.

Never considered exchanging it or chasing up the retailer because it was a very thoughtful gift from my wife.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a Seiko skx007 serviced (and a rough cost for same)?

I only have it about 2 years and it's losing A LOT of time. Like almost 2-4 minutes over a week.

Never considered exchanging it or chasing up the retailer because it was a very thoughtful gift from my wife.

SKX is really not worth servicing but 2-4 minutes a week is not unheard of for that 7s26 movement. I have gotten ones running around 30 seconds a day fast or slow, its kinda within spec for them. A watchmaker can usually regulate them better, but I would not be overly concerned, just correct it every few days and set it a bit fast so you are mostly early for stuff.

Wot he said. :) They can be sometimes tweaked to much better rates, but it seems to depend on the individual movement. They're not consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

+ / - 20 seconds a day is within the normal range for a skx from what I’ve heard .

Lads my wrist feels naked and it is all solely and squarely the fault of 893!!! :P

The VC is just after being sent off for a service and none of my watches feel as nice on my wrist anymore.
    Not one of them makes me want to look on it and grin like a lunatic, I have a watch drawer full of meh and my jewel is gone :(

Damn it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

banie01 wrote: »
    Lads my wrist feels naked and it is all solely and squarely the fault of 893!!! :P

The VC is just after being sent off for a service and none of my watches feel as nice on my wrist anymore.
    Not one of them makes me want to look on it and grin like a lunatic, I have a watch drawer full of meh and my jewel is gone :(

Damn it!

You can borrow my Seiko kinetic, the terrier is getting tired wearing it:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Damn it!

Who did you go with for the service?

I sense danger for the rest of your collection. Trying to have a balance in your collection is a key.

893bet wrote: »
    Who did you go with for the service?

I sense danger for the rest of your collection. Trying to have a balance in your collection is a key.

John Donohoe in Kilkenny after much consideration.

This is the plight isn't it, and that feeling of quality and the fuzzies you get with it are very hard to put into words

There was one particular watch I got that was a big punt for me at the time, and when I got it, instantly I knew a lot of my other watches were diminished. Its sad really but thats just progression.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »

There was one particular watch I got that was a big punt for me at the time, and when I got it, instantly I knew a lot of my other watches were diminished. Its sad really but thats just progression.

Wow, the vostok has had a really big impact on you Fitz ;)

Advertisement