Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »

There was one particular watch I got that was a big punt for me at the time, and when I got it, instantly I knew a lot of my other watches were diminished.

Unfortunately, yes.
    Even winding or setting time on the others now, there is just a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the crown wind and the crispness of the crown positions.
    The only one that comes close to being as smooth is my Pelagos.
    The rest...
    Are lessened by proximity to true craft.
    redlead wrote: »
    Wow, the vostok has had a really big impact on you Fitz ;)

Well! I am fuming I was beaten to this particular punch! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Lads I've finally bit the bullet and bought a few budget watches from Aliexpress. Bought a Cadisen and a Phylida Aquaterra homage. I mention Aquaterra homage as the brand name alone might make some think I've purchased an STD.

Anyway, what's the story with customs and Ali?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Coneygree wrote: »

Too late now to ask that question, you will find out when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lads I've finally bit the bullet and bought a few budget watches from Aliexpress. Bought a Cadisen and a Phylida Aquaterra homage. I mention Aquaterra homage as the brand name alone might make some think I've purchased an STD.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Here you go - note the change in VAT treatment post 1 July 2021 - which depending on when the goods from Aliexpress arrive, may or may not affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Too late now to ask that question, you will find out when they arrive.

I'm more so talking about how people's experience here on whether they've been caught having to pay it. Often it can be almost a lottery whether you have to pay customs or whether you get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm more so talking about how people's experience here on whether they've been caught having to pay it. Often it can be almost a lottery whether you have to pay customs or whether you get away with it.

It is a lottery but based on experience going for standard delivery rather than express increases your chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Considering Revenue's changed stance from 1 July onwards past experience may be inapplicable going forward - it may make buying things from outside the EU rather inefficient - especially if a customs fee needs to be added on top of the (what could be relatively small) VAT/duty fee.

As for paying import VAT/duty - one should always factor that in the price of an non-EU item and if it's not charged - you could consider it an additional discount - but by default charging it means that you can fairly compare prices between EU stores and non-EU ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know this watch or know why it has a white box instead of a red one like we usually see?

https://www.adverts.ie/23631855

Also, ball park figure in getting a genuine steel bracelet for it, preferably used as I can only imagine what one would cost new from AD if one could even be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anyone know this watch or know why it has a white box instead of a red one like we usually see?

https://www.adverts.ie/23631855

Also, ball park figure in getting a genuine steel bracelet for it, preferably used as I can only imagine what one would cost new from AD if one could even be got.

Omega use white boxes for watches that are tied to Olympic Games. Generally there's several new Omega watches released to tie-in with the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s looks to me like an incorrect box. It’s doesn’t seem to be a limited edition of any sort.

Ask for the reference number.

Strap seems unworn which is strange unless he put a brand new one on for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

893bet wrote: »
    It’s looks to me like an incorrect box. It’s doesn’t seem to be a limited edition of any sort.

Ask for the reference number.

Strap seems unworn which is strange unless he put a brand new one on for sale.

That's true, usually there's something on the caseback I didn't look at all the photos :).

Yep best bet here is to get the ref number and cross check. I'd find it odd the jeweller would give out a mismatched watch & box combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Omega use white boxes for watches that are tied to Olympic Games. Generally there's several new Omega watches released to tie-in with the games.

That particular box was used for a speedmaster olympic edition iirc. Either way its definitely not from that watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

21 large for a white dial steel Daytona.
    ODBhOTYzOTRhNDhlMDEzMzExYmM4NWE5YTM1OGI1ZjgdPT1NCVNf9A5QFqHAbwI2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzk2MjY3NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Not sure I'd be comfortable putting the serial number up there.

Time wrote: »
    That particular box was used for a speedmaster olympic edition iirc. Either way its definitely not from that watch.

Ok thanks for the replies. Will ask the seller about it and see what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    21 large for a white dial steel Daytona.
    ODBhOTYzOTRhNDhlMDEzMzExYmM4NWE5YTM1OGI1ZjgdPT1NCVNf9A5QFqHAbwI2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzk2MjY3NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Not sure I'd be comfortable putting the serial number up there.

Box is a funny colour, donedeal user, changed bezel, terrible photos, car dealer in the north...you would want balls of steel for that one. Its 2k cheaper on adverts also

Time wrote: »

Seller tells me the box may not be the right one but is what the jewellers gave him, has cards etc which are for this.

Would this affect value drastically? In the sense of wrong box?

Seller tells me the box may not be the right one but is what the jewellers gave him, has cards etc which are for this.

Would this affect value drastically? In the sense of wrong box?

No, i mean it can’t be considered a “full set” and I’m skeptical of that story tbh. But it might be worth 2-300 less because of the box being incorrect at a push is guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Hey guys I decided to set up a YouTube channel.

MY first video went live yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko_VAh-K3as

I'd appreciate any feedback and if you like it subscribe for more videos :)
    I have some reviews planned for the near future.

Blanchy90 wrote: »

Your knife use makes me nervous :P
    I worry for your desk, for the love of God get a cutting mat.

Not a fan of the watch, but!
    The video gives a nice intro to that blind sub and it does appear to be a nice piece, just not to my taste.

Perhaps if I had a criticism?
    It would be the poor framing/focus of the included material.
    It would be more useful to the review to give a better view of those and perhaps a comment on the quality of those re: paper and print.

I think the included materials with a sub service can often be just as interesting as the watches(but perhaps I'm just a weirdo!).

Also, cannot believe you missed the perfect segue to Fr Ted/Priest watch joke ;)

Seriously tho, clicked like and subscribe and will follow along with interest to see how your channel develops.

Thanks banie, did you notice I completely missed the envelope on my first attempt to cut it? :pac:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely work on the framing in future videos. My current set up is a bit *ahem* creative... my phone was masking taped to the wall to get the angle.

I hadn't thought to review the included cards, I will do a proper review of the watch in a future video so I'll make sure to include them in that.

I actually find the watch extremely difficult to read so I think it'll be on the chopping block soon enough. The caseback is a work of art so its a shame I won't be keeping it.

• Advertisement

Good first effort. Personally i think the camera angle needs a bit of work. It was hard to see everything, and maybe keep the desk a bit clearer. But you’ve a great voice, it was to the point and gave a good overview. I’ve subscribed anyway so looking forward to seeing some more from you

Thanks banie, did you notice I completely missed the envelope on my first attempt to cut it? :pac:

I did :D
    Being from Limerick, expert knife use is very much on my radar :P :pac:

I look forward to next video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Hey, a youtube buddy, nice one. Its harder than it looks I find shoot a vid.

Watch is ghastly, but the vid is good. How much is the subscription to that service?

Thanks for all the feedback I'll work on improving for future videos. The desk I'm on is tiny so I probably need to move somewhere else to record.

I'll get a light and phone mount for future videos

Fitz II wrote: »
    Hey, a youtube buddy, nice one. Its harder than it looks I find shoot a vid.

Watch is ghastly, but the vid is good. How much is the subscription to that service?

It definitely is, I've done some videos in work so I'm not starting from scratch but it's a challenge without equipment.

Cheers that was the silver tier for £199, they have bronze for £99 and gold for £299 too.

I got a Mitchell Raider in February on a gold sub and I'm delighted with it

The new Sinn catalogue is out.
    Have ordered it and really can't wait to pay a visit to Frankfurt at some point.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Catalogue.htm

banie01 wrote: »
    The new Sinn catalogue is out.
    Have ordered it and really can't wait to pay a visit to Frankfurt at some point.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Catalogue.htm

I was just thinking earlier that I should get some catalogues haha cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sinn would be about my fave brand of today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sinn would be about my fave brand of today.

Mine too, at the moment I am seriously considering either a 6099, a 144 or a 140/142.
    The 6099 is at the front of my "maybe" queue at moment.

I also have to get my house insurance sorted and my watches added to the policy as separate items with valuations.
    Something to keep me busy sorting valuations I suppose :)

I had a delivery yesterday of a couple of straps for my IWC, gifted by a generous member of this parish.
    They wouldn't take payment, but to be sure it was at least paid forward! I donated to my local hospice here in Limerick.

I've said it before, and no doubt I will say it again many time.
    This really is the nicest corner of Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't been here in a week or two, did Fitz get his Vostok yet?

Advertisement