Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

CarProblem wrote: »
    Question - obviously it's a business and can do what it wants but.......Watchfinder

I know Rolex is desirable, unobtainable and sells 2nd hand miles above retail, but I often saw people here and elsewhere say, even still, WF prices are, ahem, frothy

What I don't understand is other brands, that are obtainable easily at RRP yet for sale with WF for miles above RRP.

Asking €4,290 vs RRP of €3,530

Both Keane's and Sheeran's told me no problem getting one :confused:

relying on lazy buyers i suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Relying on their name in the business and like you say lazy, or tentative buyers. Hodinkee do the same with their vintage stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Just sold a watch on Chrono24.

Got confirmation today of happy buyer.
    Must say, it was all quite painless, and fee deducted at source.

Awaiting bank transfer. Not a major amount, less than a bag o' sand, but still, a good first experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheWatchtowerWatchReviews/videos

Anyone on here, never saw him before, seems to be doing well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've wondered that myself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I’d like to get a timeographer out of curiosity to check the accuracy of my watches. Is there any good reasonably cheap options?
    Thanks
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I dunno, wearing a watch for a few days and checking the time against my Casio Wave Ceptor generally works for me.

I dunno, wearing a watch for a few days and checking the time against my Casio Wave Ceptor generally works for me.

Good point I could just wear it to my G-SHOCK all metal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

Hi folks,
    I’d like to get a timeographer out of curiosity to check the accuracy of my watches. Is there any good reasonably cheap options?
    Thanks
    Mick

There are a few apps that do this quite well. I use one for iPhone called watchee
    It allows you to catalogue your collection as well as measuring accuracy.

jesus there is a lot of 'blinged' two tone datejust popping up on adverts,

its like a 90s rapper sweet shop :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cyrus wrote: »
    jesus there is a lot of 'blinged' two tone datejust popping up on adverts,

its like a 90s rapper sweet shop :D

I thought it was just me. Loads of them around and the same lads offering on them. So hard to know if a older datejust is fake as honestly they kinda feel fake with todays standards.

Bussdown dials and bezels certainly have reached Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

After a quick DIY battery change I am wearing the very in vogue Casio Duro.

VPT0Zv1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Homer wrote: »
    There are a few apps that do this quite well. I use one for iPhone called watchee

Does that app need a wired mic/headphones?
    Most of the app ones I've seen seem to rely on that for the timegrapher function.
    I use watchcheck to keep an eye but only use the manual mode.

I'd assume if I was to plug in a mic it would give beat, beat error and lift rate?
    Or does that level of detail need a dedicated timegrapher?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Homer wrote: »
    banie01 wrote: »
    Does that app need a wired mic/headphones?
    Most of the app ones I've seen seem to rely on that for the timegrapher function.
    I use watchcheck to keep an eye but only use the manual mode.

I'd assume if I was to plug in a mic it would give beat, beat error and lift rate?
    Or does that level of detail need a dedicated timegrapher?

The reason why the professional timegraphers work so well is that they use a piezo microphone rather than audio microphone:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_microphone

So I can place the watch on the mic and speak, shuffle around, etc. without worrying that it will affect the readings (large knocks on the other hand will affect the readings.)

The apps with microphones all use the audio microphones on phones/in-line microphones - and if you breathe near them they can potentially affect the readings - sometimes the readings I've gotten on my old apps were effectively worthless as they could only give me a general idea if a watch is running fast or slow - not the +3/+0/+17 s/d distinction I'm looking for. But that's for professional use of course.

It will drive you mental to see your expensive watches running at +23 s/d potentially (that's still a good result to be honest) - not everything has to be +-0 and I think we love mechanical gears for getting close rather than hitting it exactly - remember, close for Vostok means +60/-40 s/d :D - that's not wrong to be fair - 1 minute off a day equates to 99.931% accuracy for a mechanical device.

If you do really want a timing device - I'd splash out and get the model 1000 weishi - ease of use vs audio microphones is incomparable - it's worth the extra 90 euro over an app if you are serious about doing watch timings.

The 1900 that I use has small upgrades - colour screen, more pixels (can display a longer period of time tracked) - worth it for me but I say even the basic 1000 is more than enough for a personal collection.

Fitz II wrote: »
    I thought it was just me. Loads of them around and the same lads offering on them. So hard to know if a older datejust is fake as honestly they kinda feel fake with todays standards.

if the watches arent fake the bling almost certainly is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I got this app a while ago (Twixt Time), though it was half the price back then. You take a photo of your watch, and you're prompted to locate the 12 mark, and draw lines over the hands. Then you do the same after 24 hours and it works out the timekeeping. It works best with watches with second markers, so you can more accurately locate 12. Not sure how accurate it really is, but honestly, unless a watch is way off I find it a bit of a vanity metric.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    The reason why the professional timegraphers work so well is that they use a piezo microphone rather than audio microphone:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_microphone

So I can place the watch on the mic and speak, shuffle around, etc. without worrying that it will affect the readings (large knocks on the other hand will affect the readings.)

The apps with microphones all use the audio microphones on phones/in-line microphones - and if you breathe near them they can potentially affect the readings - sometimes the readings I've gotten on my old apps were effectively worthless as they could only give me a general idea if a watch is running fast or slow - not the +3/+0/+17 s/d distinction I'm looking for. But that's for professional use of course.

It will drive you mental to see your expensive watches running at +23 s/d potentially (that's still a good result to be honest) - not everything has to be +-0 and I think we love mechanical gears for getting close rather than hitting it exactly - remember, close for Vostok means +60/-40 s/d :D - that's not wrong to be fair - 1 minute off a day equates to 99.931% accuracy for a mechanical device.

If you do really want a timing device - I'd splash out and get the model 1000 weishi - ease of use vs audio microphones is incomparable - it's worth the extra 90 euro over an app if you are serious about doing watch timings.

The 1900 that I use has small upgrades - colour screen, more pixels (can display a longer period of time tracked) - worth it for me but I say even the basic 1000 is more than enough for a personal collection.

Any suggestion on where to order the 1000 from tf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Fitz II wrote: »

https://dailyrapfacts.com/14610/what-does-bust-down-or-bussdown-mean/

tumblr_inline_mq3dmd8qqR1qz4rgp.gif

Any suggestion on where to order the 1000 from tf?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?trafficChannel=main&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=timegrapher+1000&ltype=wholesale&SortType=price_asc&groupsort=1&page=1

107 dollars works out to around 87 euro - then add on the VAT brings it up to around 107 euro - if VAT isn't charged then it's around 90 euro I guess.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?trafficChannel=main&d=y&CatId=0&SearchText=timegrapher+1000&ltype=wholesale&SortType=price_asc&groupsort=1&page=1

107 dollars works out to around 87 euro - then add on the VAT brings it up to around 107 euro - if VAT isn't charged then it's around 90 euro I guess.

can i just order the cheapest from the page? are there fake timeographers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

can i just order the cheapest from the page? are there fake timeographers?

I saw a thread on Reddit recently where one of the fake watch factories, was having fakes made of the the fakes they produced.

A fake of fake :eek:
    If there's money to made, someone will fake it.
    That said, AliExpress have a decent refund policy and there may well be some discount codes around too.
    Or sign up for topcashback and get 5% back on your Ali shopping ;)

Heh - I agree with Banie - there could always be fakes - (there are fake Sea-Gull watches...) - I guess go with one with lots of ratings... having said that you'll tell quite easily if a timegrapher is working correctly or not - so if it's fake or real is it *that* important? We're not talking about Witschi timegraphers on AliX - just weishi 1000 - on Cousins.co.uk it's £150: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/weishi-1000 - so if you're concerned about fakes you could always pay a 70 euro premium to get piece of mind... or you could just get a weishi 1900 from China for that money :D (they're hardly going to put in a fake colour screen and extra dots...)

Rolex pushing to the summit in this two-page spread in National Geographic April 2007.

553779.JPG

Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world.

Another watch from the same issue of NG.

553841.JPG

If you go back to the late 50s the ads in NG are for gold-plated Hamiltons.

If you go back to the late 50s the ads in NG are for gold-plated Hamiltons.
    Not a shock really CT. For most of the 20th century gold or gold plated "dress" watches were the man's watch(and women's). Steel(at first silver) or chrome plated brass were generally for actual tool and military type watches, or the really cheap end of the market. It's why 1950's Patek in steel go for crazy money, they were incredibly rare as a man ordering one specifically in steel would have been a major outlier.

We see mechanical watches as jewellery today, but they always were, just more actually functional in the past when accurate time wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today. Steel as more mid tier/luxury took off in the 1960's, though gold or gold plated were still the majority. The 1970's increased its market share, then the 80's brought more plastic with the digital trend and later Swatch, for luxury more two tone came along and then expensive at the time oddball materials like titanium from Longines and IWC. When the Swiss mechanical revival kicked off it was nearly always with cased in gold dress watches.

If a space alien came down and wanted to represent the man's wristwatch of the 20th century in a picture it would likely be something like this:

Gents_1960s_Rotary_wrist_watch_as170a5149z.jpg

You could have worn that watch design in the 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's, 70's even the 80's and not drawn a second glance.

Note how Rolex skirted around their Hillary Norgay first summit of Everest bit. At the time of the ascent they were firing out ads to claim they were at the top with the climbers, only it was actually Smith's watches that were.

Hamilton from a 1957 edition of National Geographic

553862.jpg

They were the first too. Though the design was delicate. The French LIP company's one was better and of course the Bulova Accutron really changed everything. Fantastic futurist designs from Hamilton and they were popular. Well it was a time before the nostalgia heritage of today where conservatism is what sells, at least in the luxury end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anything I should look out for on Chrono 24 when dealing with a private seller? I bought from a dealer a while back but now have my eye on a Seamaster 300 and have found a year old one in France for the right money. Watch and accessories look legit but obviously wont know until I have it in hand.

Is there buyer protection for private seller/buyer transactions?

Many thanks as always

• Advertisement

Anything I should look out for on Chrono 24 when dealing with a private seller? I bought from a dealer a while back but now have my eye on a Seamaster 300 and have found a year old one in France for the right money. Watch and accessories look legit but obviously wont know until I have it in hand.

Is there buyer protection for private seller/buyer transactions?

Many thanks as always

When I bought before they use an escrow service where the money doesn’t get released to the seller until the buyer confirms the watch had been delivered and as expected

Advertisement