Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Anything I should look out for on Chrono 24 when dealing with a private seller? I bought from a dealer a while back but now have my eye on a Seamaster 300 and have found a year old one in France for the right money. Watch and accessories look legit but obviously wont know until I have it in hand.

Is there buyer protection for private seller/buyer transactions?

Many thanks as always

I sold recently as a private seller, and the escrow feature of the service works well.

We had a good dialogue, I gave as much information and history as I could and then the buyer just paid.

When the watch arrived and was accepted as being as described, money was in my account within a couple of days.

The system works well and seems to provide good protection both sides. When I bought from a dealer, there was an issue, but a person was assigned to me and I had personal phone calls until there was a resolution.

All in all, I'd say it is a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

How does a seller get protected if a buyer flat out lies and says they got a lump of coal etc.? Do you video sending off the watch etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    How does a seller get protected if a buyer flat out lies and says they got a lump of coal etc.? Do you video sending off the watch etc?

Its a fair point. Havent had to experience it going wrong. One of the watches I sold the buyer went completely quiet after receiving even though he was all questions during the transaction.. he accepted delivery and the payout was done so i couldnt really complain.. i did ask him was he happy with the watch but he never got back to me... i guess he was or he wouldnt have agreed payment..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The only time I bought on Chrono24 (Hamilton Khaki) it was a new watch from a dealer and I never gave any response after receiving it. Chrono or the dealer never asked if I was happy with the watch but I presume the seller got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Thirdfox wrote: »

Yeah, that is always a risk, but if someone does say they were sent coal, etc, there is someone from Chrono24 assigned to mediate.

I do take care to photograph packaging and the addressed item before dispatch, as it is always better to have a back up to show just in case something goes awry. That said, in the latest one, the buyer came back and said the watch was better than in the pictures, but was disappointed that the new strap was a little too tight for them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe they don't want to be eBay, but perhaps Chrono24 could show some sort of history for a private seller/buyer (e.g. how many watches bought & sold) so you've some idea of who you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thank you for all the responses. The watch is a year old so I’m not too worried about needing a service etc. Pics look like it’s mint and the price is right. Comes with all the usual bits.

I can get a brand new one for €300 more and this would give me the option of the blue or black dials.

Decisions decisions 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The old seamaster is a classic, but the new ones are marvelous with the ceramic dials and brilliantly engineered movements. I would go for a new one if you are stretch to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Quick one, I got a new battery in one of my watches, TW Steel TW74, Had been working perfectly up to now, after the battery change it seems to be losing a few minutes per hour, could it be a faulty battery?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Could very well be a faulty battery alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    The old seamaster is a classic, but the new ones are marvelous with the ceramic dials and brilliantly engineered movements. I would go for a new one if you are stretch to it.

Thanks. Looked at the new one again and compared to the other which is a year old I couldn’t see any difference apart from the price. Have tried a few seamaster 300’s on o we the past few years and the newer ceramic ones are beautiful and feel really solid on the wrist even when compared to some other premium brands. Can’t wait to get this one on the wrist 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Does the seamaster 300 have any form of quick extension on the bracelet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

C0N0R wrote: »

yes

C0N0R wrote: »

Yes it has alright. I tried on the Tudor Pelagos the other day and this has a spring loaded quick extension which I thought was a fantastic idea. I find my wrist can expand sometimes during the day and a feature like this would be fantastic on the Omega, however I’m really happy with what I got.

Will pick up a Pelagos as soon as I see a decent price black one come up second hand.

New Black Bay black ceramic.....yum yum

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/black-bay-ceramic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Go on Fitz , make it 4 watches in a week !

Literally remarked to the OH while in Keanes trying on a few Tudors that my ideal black bay would be a ceramic one and it was a pity they didn’t make one. Few mins after I pull the plug on the seamaster I see this.

Ah well I’ll have to save up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes it has alright. I tried on the Tudor Pelagos the other day and this has a spring loaded quick extension which I thought was a fantastic idea. I find my wrist can expand sometimes during the day and a feature like this would be fantastic on the Omega, however I’m really happy with what I got.

Will pick up a Pelagos as soon as I see a decent price black one come up second hand.

The clasp on the pelagos is superb, if a bit bulky from memory.

Tudor are just knocking it out of the park at the moment and are relegating Omega into a no mans land under rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Eoin wrote: »

Wearing mine today by coincidence.
    It's certainly bigger that a normal diver clasp, but it's superbly put together with no wasted space and a huge amount of adjustability.
    It is very much designed for diving 1st and day to day wear 2nd versus an Omega or Rolex at least in so far as the clasp goes.
    That said, I love mine light, comfortable and very legible.
    A few minutes in even overcast daylight, and it shines!

MVIMG-20210525-175414.jpg
    IMG-20210525-175440.jpg
    IMG-20210525-175435.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Eoin wrote: »

It is. There are three quickset adjustments (normal, looser, spring-loaded), and a divers extension which adds about 3cm. I don't know why you might want to use it rather than changing to rubber, but it's there if you do.
    The bracelet itself uses screws rather than pushpins so is easy to adjust to your wrist.
    I wouldn't say the bracelet or clasp are particularly bulky but the watch definitely has a more functional aesthetic to the Omega.

Edit, I see banie's pictures tell a thousand words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

banie01 wrote: »
    Wearing mine today by coincidence.
    It's certainly bigger that a normal diver clasp, but it's superbly put together with no wasted space and a huge amount of adjustability.
    It is very much designed for diving 1st and day to day wear 2nd versus an Omega or Rolex at least in so far as the clasp goes.
    That said, I love mine light, comfortable and very legible.
    A few minutes in even overcast daylight, and it shines!

Have you the eta 2 line or in house movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

scwazrh wrote: »
    Have you the eta 2 line or in house movement?

It's the in-house 5-liner, that said?
    I thought it was a 2824 with a deco plate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Tudor are just knocking it out of the park at the moment and are relegating Omega into a no mans land under rolex.

That ceramic blackbay that is Metas certified is a clear move by Rolex to put Tudor into the Omega world and to distance themselves. Sexy watch but I'd say it will be impossible get a hold of. It's interesting to see how far they will go with Tudor. For instance that chrono you have isn't a million miles away from your Daytona quality wise (PM aside). Its a cracking looking watch, has a great movement and looks to be finished really well although I've never actually seen one in the flesh.

redlead wrote: »
    That ceramic blackbay that is Metas certified is a clear move by Rolex to put Tudor into the Omega world and to distance themselves. Sexy watch but I'd say it will be impossible get a hold of. It's interesting to see how far they will go with Tudor. For instance that chrono you have isn't a million miles away from your Daytona quality wise (PM aside). Its a cracking looking watch, has a great movement and looks to be finished really well although I've never actually seen one in the flesh.

There isnt a million miles between them, but there is clear water. The Daytona is much more streamlined.

Metas is certainly a shot at Omega, and give the Rolex Superlative Chronometer status more clout, albeit undeserved technically.

Tried a Speedie on in Cullens today. Wears well on my wrist. It was early naughties and they were looking for something like €4,250.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tried a Speedie on in Cullens today. Wears well on my wrist.
    They're a funny old thing. If they fit your wrist they're bloody lovely and a keeper, but if they don't, they're not so lovely and tend to get moved on. I have no idea why they seem to vary on wrists and it's not thin or big wrist dependent either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Tried a Speedie on in Cullens today. Wears well on my wrist. It was early naughties and they were looking for something like €4,250.

Sounds similar to mine and I paid 3100 delivered from chrono24

Sounds similar to mine and I paid 3100 delivered from chrono24

Yeah reckoned it would be less online. The rent on that shop must be something.

They're offering 2 years warranty as a sweetner.

• Advertisement

Yeah reckoned it would be less online. The rent on that shop must be something.

They're offering 2 years warranty as a sweetner.

A service is worth at least 500 on these so if it’s freshly serviced it’s not to far off.

Advertisement