Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Time wrote: »
    Can’t recommend any specifically, but Hatton Garden is full of them.

Thanks for that, Watches of Mayfair is one I’ve come across from Chrono24 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

New video from TWC where he passes on some watch industry gossip or inside info, whichever term you think applies. Interesting claim regarding Rolex and Dublin, but is it true???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiA6MSVDZg0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well they do have early history in Dublin so maybe?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well they do have early history in Dublin so maybe?

Terminal Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Was up in Pride and Pinion today. What stock. Great to actually get to see and handle these watches not just look at pictures. Great guys. YT celebrity Nico was not there, but my guy Tim was and its a lovely enviroment. Will spam this thread for the next hour with pics and vids. First up the Tudor Balck Bacy 58 silver. You can tell I was impressed. The colour of the Silver is really bright, reminds me of AP stainless, and the whole thing with the brown strap just works.

• Advertisement

Here is a €350k White Gold 5976g the Anniversary edition, very late production this one so maybe even more. Lovely feeling watch, very substantial unlike Nautillus I have handled before. Doesnt justify the price but I suppose that relative, and I assume anyone considering this doesnt wince at the price like I do.

PXL-20210605-082537580.jpg

Here is at least a million pounds sterling in vintage Daytonas, I know its not all about money but at this level its a bit of fun to add the figures. It has reconfirmed that vintage is defo not for me.

PXL-20210605-082645582.jpg

This one is a 14ct (yes 14ct gold) Daytona with a 400k gbp pricetag. 1976. Something about the 14k gold having less tax at the time??? Its small, it feel very "vintage". You would really want to be into these to even dip your toes in the water.

PXL-20210605-082709199.jpg

The new Silver Snoopy Omega, nice watch this is the one with the snoopy rocket that flies around on the caseback. A nice watch. The grey prices are however very high and IMHO not worth it.

PXL-20210605-084551318.jpg

Actually got to handle the Skydweller in blue. Its a chunky monkey and my desire for it has evaporated. So nice to actually get hands on . They had all the watches, new cermits, subs, YM2, All the GMT IIs, AP, Pateks even a Breguet tourbillion. We really need a proper watch shop in the South with a relaxed vibe.

PXL-20210605-083925168.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Lovely watches there Fitz and congrats on your new purchase.Pride and pinion do seem to have great stock .

I do find it slightly annoying though that Lunns ( and I’m sure many others ) as a Rolex AD are selling directly into P&P for them to then sell at a higher price as a grey dealer.If the AD’s stopped selling to grey market , then the rest of us may actually be able to buy the watches we want at list...Mini rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

scwazrh wrote: »
    Lovely watches there Fitz and congrats on your new purchase.Pride and pinion do seem to have great stock .

I do find it slightly annoying though that Lunns ( and I’m sure many others ) as a Rolex AD are selling directly into P&P for them to then sell at a higher price as a grey dealer.If the AD’s stopped selling to grey market , then the rest of us may actually be able to buy the watches we want at list...Mini rant over

So many of the Rolex ADs are at it though, that honestly unless Rolex are willing to take over sales?
    I can't see it actually stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

What did you buy Fitz?

Cyrus wrote: »
    What did you buy Fitz?

A Stainless Ceramic Daytona Black. sold a few to them too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    This one is a 14ct (yes 14ct gold) Daytona with a 400k gbp pricetag. 1976. Something about the 14k gold having less tax at the time???
    Yeah, American cased watches went for 14ct(or 9) because it didn't attract as many tariffs and Swiss brands set up local outfits to case Swiss movements in lower grade gold cases to avoid even more tariffs as they were considered more "Made in America". There was also the Buy American Act to contend with.

So you had brands like Vacheron Constantin and Jaeger LeCoultre getting into bed with Longines to create LeCoultre watches. Longines had about the largest Swiss brand presence in American already and had bought the American Wittnauer where VC, JLC and Longines movements were shipped and assembled into US cases like Wadsworth, Apex and the like to reduce the taxes paid. IIRC Omega had a similar "local" operation and that's why they were able to avoid some of the objections of American brands who wanted the NASA contract. When the US navy were looking for dive watches they wanted the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, but Blancpain had no such local outfit so one chap seeing military contract dollars, parkerised the case and stuck Tornek Rayville on the dial. Rayville was a Swiss oufit that made watches for Blancpain and Tornek was their American importer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs I think we have to start an affordable sub-forum:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

:D

For those not following my youtube channel intently (shame on you BTW) a watch give away for reaching 100 subs. Momentium is building to get me to my end goal of 1000 subs.

https://youtu.be/sFek9qDh6Ac

I know this has been discussed previously here and at the time I didn't really feel my collection warranted much in the way of insurance.

But recently that's changed a bit and it is about time I installed both a decent safe and sorted the all risks cover for my watches.

Happy to stick with my current insurer for that.
    They do require a set of valuations (of course) for what I want to insure.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to carry out that work in the Limerick area?

Is there any benefit to looking for an additional policy for the jewellery, rather than as an addition to the house insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

banie01 wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to looking for an additional policy for the jewellery, rather than as an addition to the house insurance?

Throw it on the house insurance. It came up here before, it’s the most cost effective way I reckon.

mailforkev wrote: »
    Throw it on the house insurance. It came up here before, it’s the most cost effective way I reckon.

That's what I'm most likely to do, and have a quote in the works and just wondering what the state of play is.
    Tho some lads here have watch collections that are probably worth more than my house in fairness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For some (all?) house insurance they do have a max a single item will be insured for under general household contents - or do you mean you'll be insuring under named items? I know Aviva is 2500 for general household insurance - which covers you average seiko and g-shock - but won't be enough for your VCs and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Oh yeah, you’ve got to name them under the all risks items. Mine only adds something like 5 quid per grand of extra value.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    For some (all?) house insurance they do have a max a single item will be insured for under general household contents - or do you mean you'll be insuring under named items? I know Aviva is 2500 for general household insurance - which covers you average seiko and g-shock - but won't be enough for your VCs and the like.

It's a single item limit of 2500 on my policy but with the growth of with what I've bought over the past year aswell as the wife's jewellery.
    It's beyond time for a decent safe and some specific insurance.

Zurich will cover everything I want to add but require valuations for everything and if anyone has a recommendation on where to get that done?
    It'd be very appreciated.

I may talk to a broker during the week to see if something other than specified items cover is needed but in any case.
    I'll still need to sort valuations and a safe.

I usually pay 8-10 euro per thousand insured on named items like watches. The insurance does stipulate some terms around security. I looked into a specific watch policy but the terms were obnoxious and the prices around 20 per thousand. My home insurance has started putting excesses on some of my more expensive watches.

Always get a certified safe cheap safes are worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I've been asked to try and fix/restore a 1955 cuckoo clock for my wife's parents. It's a family heirloom so hopefully I can get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That's what I'm most likely to do, and have a quote in the works and just wondering what the state of play is.
    Tho some lads here have watch collections that are probably worth more than my house in fairness ;)

I got a special policy through a broker it was a home policy but one designed to cover art and jewellery, will get the details next week.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I've been asked to try and fix/restore a 1955 cuckoo clock for my wife's parents. It's a family heirloom so hopefully I can get it going.

Now that work really could make for a fantastic series of videos Blanchy.
    From getting the clock and a little bit of its history, through to stripping it down, cleaning, restoring and replacing parts and on to the reassembly and final finishing.
    Perhaps even a video of returning it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So many of the Rolex ADs are at it though, that honestly unless Rolex are willing to take over sales?
    I can't see it actually stopping.

I’m sure that I’ve read multiple accounts of Rolex stripping ADs of their status for this practice in the States. Wasn’t there talk of Rolex buying back grey stock to see where it was being sourced from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Rolex are happy with things at ADs. Don’t be fooled other wise. They are moving all the other stuff by the truck load. OPs, date just the works. People buying them for the hope of getting a sports at retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Now that work really could make for a fantastic series of videos Blanchy.
    From getting the clock and a little bit of its history, through to stripping it down, cleaning, restoring and replacing parts and on to the reassembly and final finishing.
    Perhaps even a video of returning it ;)

That's for that, I wasn't sure if I should do videos on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zurich will cover everything I want to add but require valuations for everything and if anyone has a recommendation on where to get that done?
    It'd be very appreciated.

I'm with Zurich too. They accept a receipt for value of the watch (but not a Mickey Mouse receipt from a private seller or unprofessional dealer) and they accept a valuation from any jeweller. I get mine done in a local jeweller's, €30 a pop

And is there any point installing a safe at all? If your insurer does not demand it, why would you go the effort and the expense? The watches are covered, you pay a premium. That's enough.

Advertisement