Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

unkel wrote: »

And is there any point installing a safe at all? If your insurer does not demand it, why would you go the effort and the expense?

There are a few reasons. And talking a properly installed safe here one that cannot be removed or opened without incredible effort

1. Cant insure sentimental value.
    2. Its a big deterrent for the opportunistic thief. (no determined thief can be stopped)
    3. Most have a certain amount of fireproofness.
    4. Lowers your insurance cost.
    5. As you say it becomes a stipulation of insurance at a certain point so plan for the future.
    6. Good ones are wired to your alarm, and have duress codes.
    7. Minimises ransacking of you house.
    8. It a place to keep other important documents, valuables and jewellery.
    9. Unless you are getting up to date valuations any change in value of your watches is not insured.
    10. Data backup - excellent place for important hard drive and your third tier offsite backups.
    11. Storing firearms.

Cheap safes are basically pointless. If one man can carry the safe its pointless. But I suppose its the same as why lock your front door or not leave you key in the car. As somebody who has been burgled in the past the hassle of insurance is well worth mitigating with a safe. They are actually not particularly expensive in the context of the watch hobby. And a good safe will last you entire lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cyrus wrote: »
    I got a special policy through a broker it was a home policy but one designed to cover art and jewellery, will get the details next week.

Just checked

It's called dual offered by axa via Marsh ( and other brokers Im sure)

Anything under a certain amt doesn't need to be listed

The maximum limit per article, pair or set is €10,000 for jewellery, €25,000 for fine art and €15,000 for all
    other valuable articles, subject to adequate sums insured. We will not pay in excess of these limits. Items with
    greater values must be insured as ‘Specified Items’ below.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@Cyrus thanks for that info.

@Unkel, Fitz makes the point that sentimental value and convenience can really offset the cost of a safe.
    I'd agree, I also have some other bits of highly portable wealth that would be far harder to trace than a watch.
    I should have probably purchased 1 yrs ago, long before I'd ever bought a watch.
    Having previously been burgled too, a decent safe is going to cost me not a lot more than my post-burgalry excess.

@Fitz, thanks for the info. Really comprehensive and gives a good overview of why a safe can be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

I recall someone (Unkel maybe?) posting some online crowd that do valuations?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

banie01 wrote: »
    I also have some other bits of highly portable wealth that would be far harder to trace than a watch.

Bit of paper with some random words scribbled on it? :p

• Advertisement

And some 1oz rounds too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

I follow the_seikopath on Instagram, it says the account is from Dublin, is it anyone on here? Nice mix of cars and watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ll look after any pass phrases for you if you like,
    save you messing about with bits of paper

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Chubb do good insurance for high value items, had no issue getting paid last year from them either. Very easy to deal with. Prices were higher than Aviva, but they wouldn’t take any single item worth over 20k. Chubb don’t even need a valuation if it’s under 50k (I think that’s the limit anyway)

Time wrote: »
    Chubb do good insurance for high value items, had no issue getting paid last year from them either. Very easy to deal with. Prices were higher than Aviva, but they wouldn’t take any single item worth over 20k. Chubb don’t even need a valuation if it’s under 50k (I think that’s the limit anyway)

Who is that policy through? Hiscox do a good one too but very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Who is that policy through? Hiscox do a good one too but very expensive

Through Robertson Low, it’s similar to hiscoxs. Total is about €1100 per year, whereas Aviva with no watches was €700 and something from memory so not the worst

Edit: I actually upped my regular contents by 50k too so that would affect the price also

Time wrote: »
    Through Robertson Low, it’s similar to hiscoxs. Total is about €1100 per year, whereas Aviva with no watches was €700 and something from memory so not the worst

Edit: I actually upped my regular contents by 50k too so that would affect the price also

That's not bad I'm paying similar I think must check its definitely north of a grand anyway

https://youtu.be/cEitW7L6UyA

The very end will have interest for some round here. Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Fitz II wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/cEitW7L6UyA

The very end will have interest for some round here. Burn.

It's entertainment.

Anyone who doesn't realise they're being manipulated deserves what they get.

It's entertainment.

Anyone who doesn't realise they're being manipulated deserves what they get.

Ah yeah, more focused on the last 3 minutes of the video and the youtuber that is specifically named and shamed. He is a "friend" of the forum well known to many in the watch community and on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Any recommendations for a Nato and Rubber strap for my Seamaster 300? Is genuine the route to go or any recommendations for a good quality aftermarket strap? Was looking on Bark and Jack, mainly because I follow him on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Any recommendations for a Nato and Rubber strap for my Seamaster 300? Is genuine the route to go or any recommendations for a good quality aftermarket strap? Was looking on Bark and Jack, mainly because I follow him on YT.

Genuine is the route if you want a quality strap with a branded clasp/buckle. Don't put a fake branded c/b or strap on your Seamaster.

But if money matters more then by all means go for a good quality aftermarket product. Barton are generally well regarded. If you find Adrian entertaining then why not give him the business provided you don't get hit for customs.

These straps seem to be well respected online .I’ve no personal experience with them as I don’t have a watch they make a strap for.they do look good though

https://zealande.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

scwazrh wrote: »
    These straps seem to be well respected online .I’ve no personal experience with them as I don’t have a watch they make a strap for.they do look good though

https://zealande.com

Was going to say same. Check them out on YouTube. Someone here said they had one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

If you want genuine then it’s a waiting game or pay the eye watering AD prices. - A depolyant and strap could be 500. An omega nato is around 150 quid new. Eye watering for what it is. But with a 5k watch on the wrist.....what’s wrong with 150 on a strap.....

Second hand they come up and a deployant and strap can be gotten for 250 or so. Sounds a lot. But then you wear it for 3 years and sell it for 250-300. Need to be careful though. Lot of fakes around and lads that think their stuff is real.

Bark and Jack are a good shout for nato. Time factors do superb NATO’s but can be difficult to get an order is as it’s not a traditional online shop!

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    But with a 5k watch on the wrist.....what’s wrong with 150 on a strap.....
    !

Exactly , good watches deserve good straps .No point penny pinching on the part that touches most of your wrist

Folks if one were to import an expensive watch from the US, say $10k USD for arguments sake,

what are the tax implications, vat obviously on the full amount, but are you also liable for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Depends on whether it's precious metal or not - precious metals I have no idea, but non-PM you do have duty to pay...but it's 80c maximum :P

Lawyerly answer is "technically yes there is duty - but it's a maximum of 80 cent per unit".

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Depends on whether it's precious metal or not - precious metals I have no idea, but non-PM you do have duty to pay...but it's 80c maximum :P

Lawyerly answer is "technically yes there is duty - but it's a maximum of 80 cent per unit".

so on a steel watch its basically the vat

Hey - MVMT resents that statement - 80c could be almost 10% of the import value of a watch! :P (I kid!)

Folks if one were to import an expensive watch from the US, say $10k USD for arguments sake,

what are the tax implications, vat obviously on the full amount, but are you also liable for customs?

I have 23% +€10 handling +€0.80c duty set aside awaiting the Sinn that I hope skips a charge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have 23% +€10 handling +€0.80c duty set aside awaiting the Sinn that I hope skips a charge ;)

Based on my recent experience, if its via FedEx you can expect to pay (as well as paying their fee) They automatically calculate and pay on your behalf once it arrives into Ireland and then bill you afterwards.

I thought that I had gotten away with it till I got a bill 4 weeks after the package arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Same experience here, FedEx expedite through customs by paying the charges and then invoice you. I do miss Japan Post, most of their packages just seemed to pass through customs in Portlaoise.

Is that the same rates from UK ?

• Advertisement

(I think) technically no - while the UK has left the EU they didn’t go to WTO terms - so no custom duties to be paid - just VAT.

…You save the 80c… yay! :D

we’re flippant about watches since it’s unit cost and 80c max, but custom duties on other items could be rather more significant so it’s good that some kind of brexit deal was done…

Advertisement