Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

PSR Hamilton - I have an itch- it's a big enough itch- but only for the stainless steel version- I know i can get this for 100euro less but even then- just interested in opinions- it will be a keeper but also interested in future value opinions- I'm soooooo tempted :D

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ie/h52414130-american-classic-psr-digital-quartz.html

good bad and indifferent opinions welcome btw so don't hold back.

They are all keepers until you sell them. :D
    Resale value will be tragic.
    In my opinion its brutal looking and expensive. Hammilton is a good enough brand but that model sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You'd get an original or similar Pulsar from the 1970's for that or not far off it and it would hold its value(the early LED/Digitals always have had a strong if niche following and have had for over twenty years). Here's one at not far off half that. Or you could continue the Soviet theme and get one of their LEDs for a lot less. Here's another only an auction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It looks cool but pressing a button to see the time is a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Wibbs wrote: »
    You'd get an original or similar Pulsar from the 1970's for that or not far off it and it would hold its value(the early LED/Digitals always have had a strong if niche following and have had for over twenty years).

I’d definitely be going for one of the originals over the newer release ones

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    They are all keepers until you sell them. :D
    Resale value will be tragic.
    In my opinion its brutal looking and expensive. Hammilton is a good enough brand but that model sucks.
    Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Not a fan of that one at all
    Wibbs wrote: »
    You'd get an original or similar Pulsar from the 1970's for that or not far off it and it would hold its value(the early LED/Digitals always have had a strong if niche following and have had for over twenty years). Here's one at not far off half that. Or you could continue the Soviet theme and get one of their LEDs for a lot less. Here's another only an auction.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    scwazrh wrote: »
    I’d definitely be going for one of the originals over the newer release ones

Lads- you're brilliant and you've delivered in spades in terms of the brief I set out.

I may well ignore all of your advice but you've given me plenty of food for thought. I'd love an original but would it work long term?

Only disagreement i'd have is Cienciano- yes, I know, you have to press a button to see the time- but for me, that's half the beauty of this, it's the "heart" buying, not the head.

Any thoughts on originals very welcome. I suppose I want it to "work" - that's the key thing. I'd imagine originals are very flaky, given the technology and would be super expensive to repair?

I love it- sorry it's not for everyone i know- but i love it- just how bad would be the depreciation do you think? Like 5-6 years down the line- maybe 250-300? I could live with that.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

PSR Hamilton - I have an itch- it's a big enough itch- but only for the stainless steel version- I know i can get this for 100euro less but even then- just interested in opinions- it will be a keeper but also interested in future value opinions- I'm soooooo tempted :D

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ie/h52414130-american-classic-psr-digital-quartz.html

Just sold mine on ebay. The novelty wore off very quickly. Cool history to it and all that - but I found the proportions odd.
    Cienciano wrote:

It has a dual display, so it always displays the time. It's just brighter when you press the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How can they justify charging that kind of money for that watch?

Not as if it has some real fancy mechanism inside?

NIMAN wrote: »
    How can they justify charging that kind of money for that watch?

Not as if it has some real fancy mechanism inside?

Probably aimed at people like me :o

Eoin wrote: »
    Just sold mine on ebay. The novelty wore off very quickly. Cool history to it and all that - but I found the proportions odd.

Ah japers - hopefully you got a good deal- might look second hand but with additional VAT/tax or whatever it's called now, on UK purchases, the cost may rise depending on final price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ah japers - hopefully you got a good deal- might look second hand but with additional VAT/tax or whatever it's called now, on UK purchases, the cost may rise depending on final price.

Another one to consider (that isn't just an Aliexpress random name model (though probably made in China too...and probably the Hamilton one too to be fair) - is the Yema LED:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsMgt9fp7I - by our favourite Scottish/Ozzie (though lots of people have reviewed the Yema too).

At $249 new (and there's probably a discount code somewhere) that means any depreciation is rather negligible if you enjoy wearing the watch for a few years - so you sell it for 50-70 dollars - that's only a 170-200 dollar "loss" (or cost of ownership fee).

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Another one to consider (that isn't just an Aliexpress random name model (though probably made in China too...and probably the Hamilton one too to be fair) - is the Yema LED:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsMgt9fp7I - by our favourite Scottish/Ozzie (though lots of people have reviewed the Yema too).

At $249 new (and there's probably a discount code somewhere) that means any depreciation is rather negligible if you enjoy wearing the watch for a few years - so you sell it for 50-70 dollars - that's only a 170-200 dollar "loss" (or cost of ownership fee).

Thank you very much for going to the trouble of composing that post.

The video- It's not "doing" it for me at all - sorry :o

I think the key differentiator is, in terms of the video- I DID grow up with the 70's LED - (unlike the reviewer who mentions that fact)- so like i said earlier, it's very much head, over heart. That watch in the video doesn't come close at all.

As I said, it's a very strong "itch"- but I really do appreciate all of the push back, dislike comments etc here and also, and more so, the "head" arguments as opposed to the "heart" arguments- they'll certainly help me balance my final decision. So thanks guys, i really appreciate it.

I didn't even think to list it here first for some reason, that's unfortunate timing - you could have tried it on at least. If you're dead set on one, I'll dig out the seller on chrono24; it was less than RRP.

Here it is on the wrist - it's wide, but not that big lug-to-lug. I know they wanted to be pretty true to the original shape, but it just wore oddly.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51029551531_4c7864f391_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

A012-CE4-E-5578-4-D73-906-D-69-E9-F8-E75-B91.jpg

Probably aimed at people like me :o

Another one of us who likes to waste money on overpriced stuff that’s not needed..

You’ve come to the right place, You’re among friends now.

I didn't even think to list it here first for some reason, that's unfortunate timing - you could have tried it on at least. If you're dead set on one, I'll dig out the seller on chrono24; it was less than RRP.

Here it is on the wrist - it's wide, but not that big lug-to-lug. I know they wanted to be pretty true to the original shape, but it just wore oddly.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51029551531_4c7864f391_c.jpg

You really are so good for posting that- I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to purchase- I'm going to love it- I'm going to wear it- it's like the motors forum here sometimes- i.e. sometimes you just have to get it out of your system- it doesn't make sense to the posters, (although it does kindof)- but it makes sense to you- but you also respect the posters for their feedback- sometimes, the more the posters say don't- that's when you should...and again, not a reflection on the posters- more so, a reflection on ....oh I dunno.. just that "something.

Sorry, making no sense this evening- but i've read all the replies to my original post and appreciate them all- so many thanks! :)

Not sure what thread it was on, but someone was asking about shipping watches.

I shipped one yesterday - I went with DHL express, with secursus for the insurance - worked out about 30 Euro cheaper than insurance through DHL. About 155 all in, I think. Not a bargain, but having the option is great.

You really are so good for posting that- I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to purchase- I'm going to love it- I'm going to wear it- it's like the motors forum here sometimes- i.e. sometimes you just have to get it out of your system- it doesn't make sense to the posters, (although it does kindof)- but it makes sense to you- but you also respect the posters for their feedback- sometimes, the more the posters say don't- that's when you should...and again, not a reflection on the posters- more so, a reflection on ....oh I dunno.. just that "something.

Sorry, making no sense this evening- but i've read all the replies to my original post and appreciate them all- so many thanks! :)

If you reckon it's the one for you, then go for it! It wasn't quite how I pictured it on the wrist, but I liked a lot about it. I am also on a reduce-the-collection buzz at the moment, otherwise I may have kept it.

Give this dealer a shout and see can they get one for you.

Related - unless I am missing something, chrono24 have made it much harder to see a dealer's details since I last looked.

. I am also on a reduce-the-collection buzz at the moment,..

Having recently done the same , I can assure you it ends in regret.I’ve already bought back one of the watches I didn’t need anymore and one of the watches I sold went back to the original owner which just confirms that’s sellers remorse is a common infliction

Ah, I go through these cycles regularly enough; I might end up filling the slots in the watch box again at some stage. I've lost a bit of my interest though, so having 8 or so watches seems pointless. I've my eye on a couple of options right now, and I'd rather wear whatever that will be more regularly than rotate for the sake of it.

I'm fickle / a flipper at the best of times though, and this was one that was never destined to hang around with me for too long.

• Advertisement

They're awesome, if you like it I would pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Your absolutely right to go for what you like and not what strangers on the internet like haha.

Taste is so subjective so if you like it then get it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was out ring shopping with the Mrs today and even though I was in a Rolex AD at one point ;)

I didn't look at 1 single watch!
    Very proud of myself :P

She did find something she liked in a jewellers that carries Longines, so I may see if I can do a deal with a VHP GMT thrown on top aswell :P

Just best not tell her!
    I'm now at home waiting patiently for UPS to drop back my BlackBay and IWC!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Young lads F91W went into the washing machine last night with his footy gear after training.

Still working fine. No water in the display.

What a piece of engineering!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Your absolutely right to go for what you like and not what strangers on the internet like haha.

Taste is so subjective so if you like it then get it

So true. Funny reading reasons people would or wouldn't buy a particular watch and they're complete non issues for you.

I think the guy is looking for opinions other than non answer that is "buy what you like" . Taste is subjective but having good taste is agreed upon by consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Guys, what sort of realistic price would you end up paying for a JLC master control calander in an AD? I see Weirs have it at 11,700. Grey is under 9k for a new one. Just wondering what the real gap is.

redlead wrote: »
    Guys, what sort of realistic price would you end up paying for a JLC master control calander in an AD? I see Weirs have it at 11,700. Grey is under 9k for a new one. Just wondering what the real gap is.

I haggled on one two years ago, not a lot of room, expect a grand off maybe a little more if you better at bargaining than me. AD these days see these as relationship pieces and that in itself has a value.....what a system of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Ugly and overpriced, won't hold its value
    I would go for a gold or silver casio retro to scratch the new watch itch for a few weeks.

I actually think it looks cool in an Austin Powers kinda way, but I still wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

redlead wrote: »

I know the former Boutique manager from Old Bond St, i'll message her and ask her what's realistic on that for you.

Advertisement