Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

redlead wrote: »
    Guys, what sort of realistic price would you end up paying for a JLC master control calander in an AD? I see Weirs have it at 11,700. Grey is under 9k for a new one. Just wondering what the real gap is.

Why bother with an ad? Grey one will come from an AD anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Cyrus wrote: »
    Why bother with an ad? Grey one will come from an AD anyway

If the price gap was something small like 500 or something then I'd consider an AD for an expensive watch like that. Mainly for peace of mind and customer service if any issues. I also like spending my money in Ireland if possible. In saying that, the Grey dealer in Monaco I'm looking at I've bought from before so I know they are very good. The servicing issue doesn't even really hold up though because chances are there won't be an issue and if there was that 500 saving could come close to covering it.

The whole Grey market thing is very frustrating because its the ADs giving them the watches yet they won't pass on anything close to Grey prices to the public. Its very hard justify an AD when you can get the same thing brand new for thousands less.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

If its from Monaco I think you're supposed to pay EU VAT on top?

I purchased a mid range watch from Montredo (German broker/grey dealer), , happy with the saving and level of service, just took them a month or two to source.

If the price gap was something small like 500 or something then I'd consider an AD for an expensive watch like that. Mainly for peace of mind and customer service if any issues. I also like spending my money in Ireland if possible. In saying that, the Grey dealer in Monaco I'm looking at I've bought from before so I know they are very good. The servicing issue doesn't even really hold up though because chances are there won't be an issue and if there was that 500 saving could come close to covering it.

The whole Grey market thing is very frustrating because its the ADs giving them the watches yet they won't pass on anything close to Grey prices to the public. Its very hard justify an AD when you can get the same thing brand new for thousands less.

any grey watch I bought was from an AD anyway will full manufacturers warranty so it doesn't really matter imo. You can still go back into the Irish ad and ask them to return to jlc the exact same as they would if you bought direct.

athlone573 wrote: »

I purchased a mid range watch from Montredo (German broker/grey dealer), , happy with the saving and level of service, just took them a month or two to source.

No Monaco is same as buying from a EU country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

athlone573 wrote: »

No Monaco is exempt. They have some sort of EU economic zone agreement or something. I'm not sure of the exact technicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

No Monaco is exempt. They have some sort of EU economic zone agreement or something. I'm not sure of the exact technicalities.

OK I didn't know that

I would have no qualms about buying from an AD anywhere in Europe but I don't know anyone in Weirs to get the friends and family discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Guys, what sort of realistic price would you end up paying for a JLC master control calander in an AD? I see Weirs have it at 11,700. Grey is under 9k for a new one. Just wondering what the real gap is.

Chatting to former JLC friend today, answer i got was "how long is a piece of string" which wasn't very helpful. But basically if your a good negotiator expect 10, if not expect 5-7, if you've a relationship (i.e 100k GBP+ min spend) expect 15 and if you're a high 6 into 7 figure customer expect 20% as part of a bigger spend.

So ultimately unless you thinking long term relationship with an AD then go grey market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Asking for a discount is not “relationship” building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »

This is going to be internet Drama for weeks...popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Fitz II wrote: »
    Yep...yer man always came across as being dodgy!

Guess another spell for fraud will be on his horizon

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

The video in that link tells you all you need to know about them. It’s like they were more interested in staring in a reality TV show style vlog to build profile than actual business men.

On another note I got some fantastic news this morning. This *might* be coming my way, not confirmed yet but I’ll know next week hopefully once AP get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just one look at the photo of their "sales manager" would have made most people run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Greetings all. This is my first venture over to this side of Boards. Over the last 2 months I have taken a greater interest of what is sitting my wrist.

Trying to not get too enveloped too quickly into the hobby, I have mostly spent the last while educating myself on the technical details and also what styles I like which seems to change weekly!

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on something soon. More than likely it will be a modest daily driver, maybe a Seiko 5 variant to kick-start the whole thing.

With regards to online buying, are there any sites that are generally recommended or more importantly, any ones to avoid? If purchasing from the UK do additional import charges need to be factored in?

Of course any glaring words of advice to a new collector will be greatly appreciated also!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Greetings all. This is my first venture over to this side of Boards. Over the last 2 months I have taken a greater interest of what is sitting my wrist.

Trying to not get too enveloped too quickly into the hobby, I have mostly spent the last while educating myself on the technical details and also what styles I like which seems to change weekly!

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on something soon. More than likely it will be a modest daily driver, maybe a Seiko 5 variant to kick-start the whole thing.

With regards to online buying, are there any sites that are generally recommended or more importantly, any ones to avoid? If purchasing from the UK do additional import charges need to be factored in?

Of course any glaring words of advice to a new collector will be greatly appreciated also!

First of all welcomd to our little corner of the site. A Seiko 5 is a great first choice. You’ll be addicted to watches in no time just like the rest of us!

Best thing to do would be to decide on what you want and come back here, someone will undoubtably point you to the best place to pick up whatever you’re looking for at the best price.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

FYP :pac:
    Time wrote: »
    First of all welcomd to our little corner of the site. A Seiko 5 is a great first choice. You’ll be addicted to watches in no time just like the rest of us!

Best thing to do would be to decide on what you want and come back here, Unkel will sell it to you ... someone will undoubtably point you to the best place to pick up whatever you’re looking for at the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

So today I found out that a previous guitarist from Anthrax ended up leaving the band to become a master watchmaker! Interesting interview with him from 2012: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/interview-meet-dan-spitz-anthrax-guitarist-turned-master-watchmaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Timepiece gentleman is coming back to reveal all in a video on YouTube, strange marketing strategy but Anthony is a strange character

Boring!

Boring!

From a horological point of view. Yes.

From a YouTube watch point of view this is the most interesting thing to happen in years. 90 percent of videos are about Rolex and Increasing values or else Chinese Rolex homages. I will take this over most of that drivel.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Are you not entertained ?? Try Netflix then lol

No I'm not entertained. I hate 'reality' TV and this was the YouTube equivalent. Netflix, I cancelled my subscription about six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

No I'm not entertained. I hate 'reality' TV and this was the YouTube equivalent. Netflix, I cancelled my subscription about six months ago.

Agreed , the American tv style of over dramatising an otherwise interesting topic gets old very quick.The watch trade in America is such a different world to here that it would be nice to see a realistic show about it but this one is just drama for attention.

I’ve watched a few videos of watchtrader & co which is a UK shop trading high end watches so similar to timepiece but with no dramatising so far.Much easier to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Boring!

Its been the biggest boon for watch youtube in years. Archie getting loads of vids from it, Timeless got two vids out and was on Archies and TimWrites livestream about it. Everyone is a buzz, this is as close as drama gets to watches.

I think the explanation will be a load of crap, and they have certainly damaged their business a great deal

Its been the biggest boon for watch youtube in years. Archie getting loads of vids from it, Timeless got two vids out and was on Archies and TimWrites livestream about it. Everyone is a buzz, this is as close as drama gets to watches.

I think the explanation will be a load of crap, and they have certainly damaged their business a great deal

Time you got in on the 'boon' Fitz. Drill down like Lawrence Olivier in Marathon Man. LoL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I see Jody's Just one more watch channel has been removed from youtube "due to a counterfeit claim by a third party".

Our man in Venice has a video out about it:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oisin is selling out reporting on this.

I am considering cancelled my patronage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How do you mean selling out 89? I wouldn't know much about the background to this tbh. I might have watched two of the just one more watch chap's videos. Outside of our two chaps hereabouts, Oisin is one of the few watch channels I'm actualy subbed to. I'm mostly cars, areospace, science docs type youtuber. Well I'm not into new watches so there's not a lot of Tube content on that side of things, much more on forums and websites.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Begging your pardon good sirs but WTF is Jody?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

A Scottish chap in Australia IIRC who had a watch channel mostly from what I gather showcasing the more entry level price point watches, a lot from Aliexpress type sellers, with Seikos and the occasional higher end Omega and Rolex.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I see Jody's Just one more watch channel has been removed from youtube "due to a counterfeit claim by a third party".

Sorry for his troubles, hope he's back soon in some form. I'm probably one of those "who don't do social-media" as Oisín refers to us septuagenarian dinosaurs, so I won't be posting my support on instantgranny or faecesbook.

Advertisement