Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Might be old news but police have released images of 3 men wanted after a tourist was stabbed in London for his 115k watch

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-hunt-gang-who-stabbed-tourist-before-stealing-his-115000-watch-110110100.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

So I took my Seamaster off and laid it on the arm of the couch. Fast forward 10 mins, and I brushed off it and it fell onto the ground. A marble tiled over precast concrete ground. The second hand has come off the movement completely. It was badly due a service but still and all I am sick. I live in the Middle East so I am lucky that I can bring it straight to Omega in the mall a 2 minute drive from my house, hopefully it won't be too critical. I was only having a conversation yesterday about how I don't understand people who buy expensive watches and refuse to wear them in case they get damaged. I tempted fate clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

So I took my Seamaster off and laid it on the arm of the couch. Fast forward 10 mins, and I brushed off it and it fell onto the ground. A marble tiled over precast concrete ground. The second hand has come off the movement completely. It was badly due a service but still and all I am sick. I live in the Middle East so I am lucky that I can bring it straight to Omega in the mall a 2 minute drive from my house, hopefully it won't be too critical. I was only having a conversation yesterday about how I don't understand people who buy expensive watches and refuse to wear them in case they get damaged. I tempted fate clearly.

Ah man that sucks, but hopefully silver lining, you will get the watch back fully serviced and ready to go back on your wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Don't sweat it.
    I did exactly the same with a TAG chrono and it was just that the hand dislodged.

Those movements, and in a Seamaster in particular, are very robust.

I've a Constellation too that needs work. I'll just suck it up and send them both off. I might pick up an Ediface or something while in the mall so I don't feel like I have a naked wrist.

• Advertisement

I have an old Seiko kinetic (about 17 years old)- works fine but the strap is gone (metal bracelet)- any idea how I'd go about getting a new strap? I brought it back to a reputable jeweller but they couldn't do anything for me- this seems so strange that a seiko jeweller can't replace a watch strap for a seiko watch- any thoughts at all on this? Is it common? Pity as i'd ware the watch occasionally if i had a stop for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hong Kong post finally seems to be moving!
    Had a watch shipped last Monday, accepted at the PO that has only today been scanned at the postal sort centre about 30mins ago.

Corona virus and the political issues in HK take far more precedence than my getting some new wrist wear ;)
    But hopefully, the return to some semblance of normality may well be under way for the residents there.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I have an old Seiko kinetic (about 17 years old)- works fine but the strap is gone (metal bracelet)- any idea how I'd go about getting a new strap? I brought it back to a reputable jeweller but they couldn't do anything for me- this seems so strange that a seiko jeweller can't replace a watch strap for a seiko watch- any thoughts at all on this? Is it common? Pity as i'd ware the watch occasionally if i had a stop for it.

Try putting the model number into ebay, might get lucky and find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Stick up a pic and model number if you can read it on the case back. Does it have central lug? Lot of seiko's use a unique lug design so can't use normal spring bars.

Need to get one fixed myself. I have my dads quartz Seiko dates from 1982 if I remember correctly. I would like to get it back working. Need's a new crystal and the bracelet is broken. It's a dress watch so the bracelet is very thin it's so the side of the links break easily. It was the only watch he wore and we had a supermarket so it didn't have the easiest life! He really should picked a more robust model! It had a least 2 new bracelets and 1 crystal in the 90's. When he tried to get it fixed in the mid 00's they couldn't get a bracelet.

Any option's to bodge one? And recommendation of where to get it worked on? Is Timemark still the best option?

9020-5160 AO

502290.JPG

502288.jpg

Found one on ebay in better nick
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-QUARTZ-9020-5160-5-Jewel-Dress-Watch-with-Gold-Plated-Bezel/273790128478?hash=item3fbf29d15e:g:v9YAAOSwH6lcdEuH

Might be my best option for parts.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/174161677320?ViewItem=&item=174161677320
    Found a cheaper one for €31 shipped not as good as nick but might be better option. Hopefully be able to replace bracelet and polish out the worst scratches on my dads watch. Just need to figure out what battery it takes. I don't want to restore it to new it's battered state is a testament to how hard he worked. He was in that shop for about 75 hours a week for 30 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Anyone here be able to tell me what I should I be paying for a Seiko 7005 2000 from the 60s/70s on eBay?

Lots ones up for £60 pounds plus but no bids on those even the mint ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Really like that Seiko quartz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone here be able to tell me what I should I be paying for a Seiko 7005 2000 from the 60s/70s on eBay?

Click on sold listings or completed listings on the left hand side. You may have to scroll down a bit to see it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

blue5000 wrote: »
    Click on sold listings or completed listings on the left hand side. You may have to scroll down a bit to see it.

Ohhhh I forgot that thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I've a Seiko 7005-2000 from July 1969 (Same month as the moon landings) thats not getting any wrist time. Its in mint condition as I bought it off Adverts from Sony69. He had it serviced and regilded so looks fantastic. I've no paperwork regarding the service but he always has really nice Seikos on Adverts so I took him at his word.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send on some photos.

Come to think of it I've also another Seiko 5 from the early 80's I might move on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not the coolest brand in the world, but I like the look of this accurist for €80 it's a great design

https://accurist.co.uk/watch/7033/

Ok lads, Omega came back to me.

Dear Customer,
    The estimate for your OMEGA WATCH
    COMPLETE MAINTENANCE SERVICE
    REPLACEMENT OF CROWN
    REPLACEMENT OF MOVEMENT PARTS
    REPLACEMENT OF HANDS
    Approx delivery time 6 Weeks from the date of approval.

Total €660

I don't really have another option. Am I being bent over?

For the next 24 hours, I cannot wear a watch as I'm doing a health NCT and wearing a blood pressure monitor.

It's like being asked to go about your day without your trousers. I feel exposed.

Thoughts and prayers, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can you not wear the watch on your other arm (where the blood pressure monitor is not fitted)?

Ok lads, Omega came back to me.

Dear Customer,
    The estimate for your OMEGA WATCH
    COMPLETE MAINTENANCE SERVICE
    REPLACEMENT OF CROWN
    REPLACEMENT OF MOVEMENT PARTS
    REPLACEMENT OF HANDS
    Approx delivery time 6 Weeks from the date of approval.

Total €660

I don't really have another option. Am I being bent over?

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look too bad to me considering just a service would be the guts of €400 easily?

unkel wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but that doesn't look too bad to me considering just a service would be the guts of €400 easily?

I winced initially but then realised, there is a nice bit of work being quoted. 6 week turn around and this is the Omega agent and I think it is going back to Europe.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s not a bad price tbh when you look at the amount of work involved all carried out by omega and warranty too

2 year warranty. I think I'll bite the bullet and approve it. I wear it daily and enjoy it, it's the price I pay I guess. I have my eye on a De Ville at the end of my current contract in 2.5 years. €4700 at today's exchange rate and they will give 50% back as a voucher so the wife could maybe get a matcher too. I am working hard, may as well have a treat with the gratuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

hey will give 50% back as a voucher treat with the gratuity.

Tell me more about this!

Can you not wear the watch on your other arm (where the blood pressure monitor is not fitted)?

But, yeah, but no, but...

That would be weird.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    But, yeah, but no, but...

That would be weird.

Better weird than wearing no watch. Believe me! :p

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Watch on both wrists here most days f@ck it

Is that you, Buzz? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Omega quoted me 500 euro for my aqua Terra over email.. I wouldnt mind that in a year or two if goes to Omega for official service and I'd get warranty cards back as I've no cards currently with the watch

Time wrote: »
    Tell me more about this!

I live in Oman and the Omega retailer (franchise) has a De Ville like the one linked for 1840 OMR. (€4380) Upon purchase they give a voucher back for 920 OMR (€2190) for your next purchase which you can use against their other brands in the franchise. Breitling, Mont Blanc, Hamilton, Rado, Longines and so on. It's an instore offer but I'd be happy to go shopping for anybody interested.

https://om.rivolishop.com/product/OMEGA/Mens-Deville/42413402002002

It's a very long time since I last had a quartz watch. Forgot about their accuracy. I set the time 5 days ago and it has gone about +0.6s since :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Going by their collection of high powered super cars according to breaking news it's surely real. :rolleyes:
    Six high-powered cars, including a 191 registration Renault Kadjar, 182 registration Kia Sportage, 142 registration Skoda Superb, 171 registration Range Rover, 162 registration Hyundai Santa Fe, 151 registration Volkswagen Passat

Advertisement