Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You put the watch on a turntable cause the camera is stationary to get a nice macro,what you see is the smoothness of the turntable. If the watch is running and you set the turntable 60 sec counterclockwise the second hand stays stationary....a cool effect. Run it CW and you run twice as fast, again a cool effect. More classy to hack the watch and get a more realistic movement of the second hand but only for short shots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

case design from the 70's,

Very true, but to be fair Fitz again that's them trying to ape the conservative Swiss stuff. Pretty much all the currently highly sought after Swiss brand models are 70's even 60's designs and not just in cases. PP Nautilus, AP Royal oak, all Rolex, Omega Speedies. The Germans like A Lange & Sohne are about the only ones bucking that trend with new designs.

The discerning collectors of the rise in popularity of the hobby over last ten years are incredibly conservative and the Swiss brands reflect that or they know they won't sell their wares. Rolex buyers were always conservative. Their Oysterquartz produced at crazy expense was by a goodly margin their most innovative and best finished movement of 20th century Rolex production and even at the height of quartz popularity they were a hard sell. Their Cosmograph/Daytona was such a hard sell AD's were giving them away as part of other deals and by the early 70's the rest were sold off to their own people in the trade for 30-40 quid a pop. AP's first series Royal Oak took an age to sell off their first 1000 pieces and they had to add gold and two tone models to the mix to keep them in the "luxury" game.

A vid came up on my youtube feed this morning and I thought of what you were saying about watch youtubers and how there's only so many ways to skin an anorexic cat. The title was along the lines of "Rolex predictions for 2022". There would be little point clicking on it. My prediction? They'll do absolutely feck all. Slight colour change on a dial or bezel, restart production on some model or other that's been around since the egg and a model in gold that hasn't been available in gold for three years. Now that would get the hardcore fans pulling the skeletons out of themselves with the shock, but it's very thin gruel.

To beat the car analogy to a bloody pulp, again: 😁 If the Swiss luxury watch brands were cars they would have never stopped selling MGBs. So it's not too much of a surprise that Seiko are trying to flog Mx-5's to get a piece of that action(though if GS were an MX-5 they'd be a lot better).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm going to start introducing bicycle analogies on here, for the sake of gyroscopic balance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

but then who in real life looks at a watch using a macro lens

Guilty yer honner. happy new year everyone.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thinking of buying a vostok and modding it to look like a grand seiko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭893bet

Also guilty. Fine finishing is what separates brands. And if I can spending 4 and 5 figures on a watch then it better be as close to flawless as possible to the naked eye and under lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Fitz,I can't let the "Spring Drive is just another quartz" be presented as a statement of fact rather than opinion.

Seiko holds 230 Patents on Spring drive IP, that's a lot of innovation for just another quartz.

One of the things I like about Spring Drive is that it hasn't been replicated by the Chinese fakers. It's like it's hard to make a spring drive watch so the fakers spend their efforts on the low hanging fruit that is almost any swiss luxury mechanical.

As for the Grand Seiko con job, I've fallen for it, twice, there's another in the post to me.

I like the spring drive, hi beat and quartz. All 3 have their appeal

**** Off topic Pedant alert ****

Gyroscopic effects dont balance a bicycle, its the front loaded steering geometry and the caster effect. Gyroscopic effects are only used to steer when riding no hands. But without hands it makes a poor watch analogy 🤣

**** Pedant alert over ****

Fine finishing is nice to have but it has to be in combination with other good aspects of a watch. Precious materials, great design, classic looks, wearability etc. GS just leans into Macro finishing immediately cause it aint go nowever else to go.

No its not just another quartz....its sneaky quartz 😁. I dont care how many patients they have (this is always pulled out as somehow proof its inovative, but thats not the question at hand. I am sure all watchmakers have 1000's of patents on various design aspects) Its a watch who's timekeeping is regulated by a quartz crystal. You can dress that up all you want, and hey there it absolutely nothing wrong with a quartz watch, but its GS that push this as a innovation of the mechanical rather than a degradation of the quartz. Spring drive is a solution to a problem nobody was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Have you had a GS quartz ?I wonder is the finishing a higher quality on the pricier watches ?

• Advertisement

Funny how everyone is different. Precious materials are a turn off. Gold or diamonds on a watch are an attraction for some, turn off for me. The rest is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Guilty, except for the music part, which is always excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Fitz : Its a watch who's timekeeping is regulated by a quartz crystal

Why the hate towards quartz though ?All the negatives people put forward about quartz watches such as the lack of heart , lack of craftsmanship, the tick stop tick of the second hand but these are only on battery powered watches .Spring drive is a mechanical watch and has all the positives that mechanical watches have and better timekeeping accuracy.

Spring drive is a solution to a problem nobody was asking.

the problems were the inaccuracies of mechanical movements and the requirement of changing a battery in a quartz powered watch.Spring drive solved both those problems .

If spring drive had been developed by Swiss watch makers it probably would have been heralded as important a step forward as the addition of the rotor to a manual wind movement.

Have nothing against quartz, specifically said that.

The solution to the inaccuracy of mechanical is quartz, mechaquartz if you want a sweep seconds. No battery....kinetic quartz has been around for ages (1988), along with solar.

Springdrive is is in some weird no mans land where you have to care about accuracy above a good mechanical but not enough to get a quartz...weird and pointless.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I have a GS sbgv225, it's a 9F Quartz. It's the best finished watch I own. I haven't worn it yet as I've to get some full size links, it came with two half size links.

My wife asked me to buy her a watch, she specified a good watch that will last. We were looking at two tone Rolex 79173s, she liked the look but not the stops if you don't wear it and you'll need service it every couple of years. So I showed her the similar looking GS stgf286, the diamonds on the indices seemed to ring her bell. She chose it purely on aesthetic.

As a side note, I bought a cheap quartz tester recently. One of it's functions is it measures the rate of a quartz by inductive pickup from the stepper coil. I was trying to establish how accurate the meter is i.e. how much jitter in the measurement. Anyhow, I was working through a handful of various quartz watches, then I remembered the Grand Seiko, I was pretty impressed with both the meter and the GS when the meter reported 0.0 rate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like gold for dress watches. In tool watches? TBH they smell too much of car salesmen, rappers and African potentates. Diamonds are IMHO for women and even there... Diamonds are one of the finest marketing con jobs in history with a resale value drop that makes a new TAG Heuer look like a worthy investment. 😁

My wife asked me to buy her a watch, she specified a good watch that will last. We were looking at two tone Rolex 79173s, she liked the look but not the stops if you don't wear it and you'll need service it every couple of years. So I showed her the similar looking GS stgf286, the diamonds on the indices seemed to ring her bell. She chose it purely on aesthetic.

Women for the most part almost entirely bypassed the Swiss "mechanical has soul" aspect of watches. They want practical jewellery. Though more recently that has started to rub off on the women's market more. Not so long ago all of Patek's ladies watches were quartz. Tarted up with finishing on the plates, but quartz. When FP Journe brought out a women's watch he made it a (very nicely made)quartz.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The only gold watches I like are vintage watches. Women are dead right, mechanical is a load of shite, not even noticeable with some watches that don't have a display back. Need to do a car comparison with mechanical and quartz. In 30 years when a battery can can do 2000 miles on a charge and needs servicing once every 100k km, outperforms the ICE car in every way, no doubt there'll be some internet group driving 40 year old 2l diesel BMW's saying the electric cars have no "soul" 😂

There's an element of that to it alright, but the car comparison breaks down(no pun) to some degree. Watches are now male jewellry rather than the necessity they once were. If we take the car comparision they're more like the weekend sports car the (mostly)middle aged guy drives to meet other golfists at the weekend, rather than the car he drives to work or brings the kids to school. There's little utility involved. They're one of the signifiers of wealth and taste within the society and social group they inhabit and in that framework the utilitarian superiority of quartz is a major negative. On more US based forums you see this more openly and you'll even see some guys boasting about how much a service costs on their [insert expensive brand here].

As for "soul" I can see it more with a handwider than an auto. There's a personal connection to the old style contained within. For me there's more of that element in vintage stuff too as they're more delicate and from a different time, often reflecting same. A Tesla Plaid can go from 0-1000 in half a second or whatever with little effort save for keeping your retinas where nature intended, but driving something like a 60's Ferrari with a Columbo V12 revving to seven grand is a far more visceral and involved and involving experience, even though a hot hatch would worry it in the performance end of things(Though they've become very expensive jewellry too, polished and pickled, rarely actually driven). I once had a go of a very well sorted 1960's Lotus Elan. Oh. My. God. The level of feel and connection in that thing was off the scale insane. Though I agree with your regarding the diesel Beemer. I would say a fair few "soulful" mechanical watches, particularly in the vintage realm can fall into that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭micks_address

Don't know about soul but I do enjoy listening to the ticking noise of the movement in the speedmaster. It's not in my Spotify unwrapped playlist though.

Wibbs quote:

"They're one of the signifiers of wealth and taste within the society and social group they inhabit and in that framework the utilitarian superiority of quartz is a major negative."

I think it's called 'conspicuous consumption'.

• Advertisement

It's a term coined by our old friend Thorstein Veblen of 'Veblen goods' e.g. certain Rolex watches, fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm thinking of upgrading my 'diver' which is currently a basic Seiko skx013 which is nice but feels a bit dated looks wise.

As it got a mention here I always liked the Seamster midsize automatic myself.

But all brand, price and other considerations left out, just on the face/looks of it, I really like the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT in black, too. Looks really like a considerable upgrade to my skx013. And not even near Omega money. Any experience with them?

I have a Steinhart Ocean 39 (see post pics of your watches thread) and an Omega Seamaster mid-sized quartz which is almost identical to the automatic. If you have the money go for the Seamaster but be aware you may have to have it serviced. This was the main reason I went for the quartz version.

Yes and no. More we're a social animal and part of that is display of group affiliations and status. Clothes, cars, language, phones, all sorts. We all do it pretty much. Just the signifiers change.

All valid points wibbs....but the Pontiff Archieluxury once put if very succinctly.

"People want nice sh1t....and nice sh1t is never cheap sh1t."

There is a certain truth to this, you can dance around the edges fleshing out the details, but this is the core of it. I think that with watches being so niche, there is a lot more internal validation going on than external. Its human nature, and to know/show you now live at the peek of Maslow's hierarchy is in itself a basic desire.

I buy lots of my clothes in Oxfam & other charity shops, I drive an 04 Ford Fiesta, I only speak English, my phone is a Nokia... what does that 'signify'?

Every has their priorities. Your bicycle costs more than your car.

Not even close. No nct on my bikes (3) and then there's tax/insurance, petrol, licence (3 years) to keep the car on the road. If I didn't have a car think of the watches I could buy.☺☺

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have the Batman version that I had posted in the For Sale section a few months ago. If you were interested in it feel free to drop a DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Batman means black/blue?

Advertisement