Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Put it up for consignment with our Dutch friend in Belfast, not to sell under £20k? I'd take that for it. I'd be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been after a Speedy reduced for years and have finally put together a few quid to pick one up.

Anyone seen one going for a decent price in Ireland? I did see this over on luxurywatches.ie, not sure of the going rate for one though (last time I looked into it a few years back they were sitting a little under 2k on adverts)

https://luxurywatches.ie/omega/speedmaster-reduced/?wid=252

Half tempted by some of the models on Chrono24 in Japan too but a bit conflicted to go with that or local given the potential for import taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are almost gteed to pay import taxes taking one in from japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There’s one on adverts at the moment but similar money to the one you listed .All speed masters have jumped in price over the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I bought a speedy reduced from zenmarket in Japan two years ago. I think I paid 1400 for it with box and links. I thought 39mm would be big enough for me as I have other watches in that size but it wasn't so I sold it relatively easily on adverts. The chap who bought it was getting it as gift for his girlfriend. He did have a nice planet ocean which was more to my taste.

This is the seller, https://zenmarket.jp/yahoo.aspx?sellerID=fujimoto180360

he has a couple there, the auctions tend to get active in the last few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

Skip the reduced.

A touch too small and the Bracelet and clasp feel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Sorry to say I have to agree, reduced is too small and the dial is too dinky for all thats going on with the chrono.

I’d add to try a moonwatch on before buying, I’m not alone in finding them difficult to fit comfortably on the wrist .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Interesting food for thought, thanks folks!

I actually have fairly small wrists (6.5 inches) so thought the full sized moon watch would look a bit too big and the reduced would be the way to go.

I think you're right and they'll need to be tried on in person.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd have roughly the same sized wrist as you O1s1n and couldn't get on with the Speedie at all, yet I have and had watches of 42/3/4mm that fit me bang on. It's down to lug to lug and shape of lugs too and the shape of your wrist. Mine's more D shaped rather than O if you know what I mean. Straps and bracelet types can make a big difference too. I'd definitely try before you buy either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

just on creation and was surprised that SKX007J1 selling at 580 while the SKX009J1 comes in at 290. didnt think at this stage there would be such a difference,

whats the difference apart from the bezel colour?

Colour on bezel and dial is the difference, possibly strap combinations as well.Silly money at €580 and you’ll most likely have customs to pay

Tudor black bay 58 a far better watch in my opinion and more comfortable plus better sized for 6” wrist . There’s one on adverts for €2500 at the moment which if its in good condition , it’s an absolute deal

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

am not buying,,couldnt justify that spend on one.

A few dreamer posts there today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I had a sarky comment all typed to that ad and then couldn't be bothered. Mad asking price, but every (c)nut witha rolex thinks they are sitting on a fortune these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

How do the bank transfer scams work? If you do an eft to another account , I didn’t think it can be reversed??

I would of thought bank transfers are the safest way but with the obvious time delay issue if not the same bank

Airking for €15k LOL

Cool watch, I like it, but not even the likes of Dawson's or P&P would retail that for anywhere near €15k. Worth about €5.5k a year ago. Now somewhere between €8-9k in a private sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Some mad inflation on that Air King as well in the last two weeks

• Advertisement

I've been following a few AP ROO divers on Chrono since mid December or so. A few that were reasonably priced, sold. Of all the others, the sellers have been upping their prices regularly and they are all still for sale. Now that is what I call a bubble for sure. A lot of these price hikes are not real.

If any one is mad enough to send a lump of money to a random person on adverts and wait for the postman they are up there with the women of tinder swindler.

I was thinking of the bank transfer in a different way - Say I go meet that seller , agree to buy the watch , do an eft there and then , give them the transfer Receipt number and show them proof of transfer of funds from my account , then leave with the watch .Where is the risk? As a buyer or seller is that a secure transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

100 percent. Half of the watches not available or reserved.

Being pumped hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

well as someone waiting on a bank transfer to hit my account since Monday id be pretty anxious handing over an item without actual funds in my account or cash in hand.. buying/selling watches privately over 3k makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.. id rather sell to a business if possible when amounts are 10k plus etc.. same as buying really... i can check out a rolex and think its pretty real.. but im no expert.. if it goes wrong its a whole heap of pain..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It'll be interesting to see now that covid has gone as quickly as it started, at least in the minds and lives of the vast majority, how this will affect the values of so called 'investment pieces'?

This has always been a letter perfect trajectory of an asset bubble, it was just a question of when and how it would pop. That it lasted so long is more interesting. IMHO covid made it last longer(classic car prices also went nuts on the back of it), the economic fallout of same could give it more life too. The very recent week on week climb in values usually comes just before an adjustment in perception among buyers of an asset bubble. Sales looking like stagnating another, because such bubbles require just 'one more eejit' to buy into it. The fear of missing out bit I think is waning, because prices went just that little bit too high. You'll have a lot more 'investors' at sub 20k for an 8 or 10kk RRP watch that appears to be scarce, than you will at 30k or more. If you bought into it five years ago and sold off last month, or variations of same; ketching! Not so much if you bought last month and have such investments in a safety deposit box. There's also simple fatigue and human attention spans at play too. Individually they tend to last around two years(interestingly about the same length of the 'honeymoon period' in romance, and pandemics funny enough😁), collectively as people come and go into it between three and five. It'll be interesting to see how it continues to evolve.

My take would be; nobody's going to be selling AP's for a couple of grand or anything like that, but sales will stagnate, buyers willing to pay over the odds will fade away and we'll be back to RRP, or just below it. Basically where we were six to eight years ago. Normalcy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Unless its international a bank transfer should never take more than 48 hours . EFT done in the morning is usually in recipients account by that evening and if not definitely by the following evening.

Agree business purchase always feel safer but the " buy the seller " always holds true

I would be ok with that with someone I kinda know (eg from a forum). Ideally meeting in their house so I have a place to go back to. Then as a buyer they need a lot of trust to open their home like that.

But in general for me it’s cash or a cleared BT before watch leaves my possession.

Once you are dealing in the 10k plus’s range it gets tricky. Like trying to sell an expensive car privately. Not that easy.

If/when I sell my aquanaut it’s gonna be tricky and I will likely go trade route with a watch and cash heading my way. First world problem.

@893bet If/when I sell my aquanaut it’s gonna be tricky and I will likely go trade route with a watch and cash heading my way. First world problem.

Ill make that easy for you , Retail price in cash today and Ill come to your house , Cant get better than that , Pm your address!!!

• Advertisement

You forgot the “3x” before retail.

shall we say 2 o clock and I will have the sausages on.

Advertisement