Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A new "limited edition" Speedmaster in plastic, in a multitude of colours? 😁

Maybe this with OMEGA on the dial...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Guess we'll just have to swatch this space...

*Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

sonething to do with watches and wonders maybe. Trying to build hype for their next batch of Rolex inspired copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Lol.....still I am sure this is actually marketing genius. Still thats watches for you....prostitute yourself to the AD or pay the prostitute to give you what you want.

Do you not remember the bark and jack vid on the TPG blackout claiming it was "marketing genius".....cant see too many of the watch people standing behind them on this. From what I can see the online watch community is full of homophobic, sexually frustrated, simi autistic "alpha males"....we always knew Anthony was a ex con, and really if he was on the game who gives a ****......The gyno in one of his photos is off the charts mind you...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are "massage" forums? 🤣 Ahh jayzuz.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I though that "gentlemans hangout" you moderate was one of those.....you mean its not?

It wasn't. Now it could be. Haven't dropped in there in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Will any of this have a happy ending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Question lads,

What way does warranty work on a watch purchased second hand, would a person just rock up to the AD with the watch and warranty card and ask for a repair?

Usually with warranty proof of purchase receipt is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if the watch is under manufacturer warranty and you have the card that should be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Lolling very hard at the comments.

Nothing wrong with what happens between consenting adults.

But lol.

The **** people off for money must be month 6 of his coaching program. “Hard work” does pay off folks.

Lolling hard.

Yeah. He has a message but is delivering it in the worst way.

Archie looks in a daze 😅. Dim Tim in the back ground like a bad smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

All the shenanigans over the last few days in watch YT have me almost clicking play on some videos 😉

I haven't, but I almost did.

I saw it but He removed it. I think Paul was half drunk.

I think as it gets more mainstream that people forget that selling expensive watches is a dodgy game, mostly done by dodgy geezers. It takes no talent or skill to sell watches and it attracts the quick buck types. Its not a profession of gentlemen as they would portray its a cabal of middlemen creaming profits off wherever they can. There is also a very strong criminal and money laundering element, and generally birds of a feather flock together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Most of the YouTube watch stuff has turned in dramatised reality tv with watches involved. At least with Bark & jack and teddy baldassare the content is watches .They may not be the most exciting of channels but at least it’s genuine and not made up crap.

From what I can glean from watching those events and the youtube dealer vids, it's all dealers revving each other up and selling to each other. The ratio of dealers to actual normal customers paying out their own cash for watches is extremely skewed towards the former. In P&P's most recent vid he again goes on about wanting to sell to customers rather than dealers. That he keeps mentioning it of late shows knows his business model is skewed and very shaky because of that. It's an unsustainable musical chairs ponzi scheme and all it will take is one or two "big" dealers to default or offload their stock and the music stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

All this above is why I stick to watching Jodie no drama and no one would want to steal the watches anyway.

Jodie sticks to his format, is charming without making the whole thing about him, articulate and intelligent, and he treat his youtube channel very professionally not using it to air dirty laundry or score points in vendettas. Yes Jodie is good, but the watches he reviews are not.

Don’t be surprised if the bag magically re appears or if no more is said about it disappearing in the first place .

Tbf what exactly is on show ? From what I’ve seen on Instagram about it , it is basically the main YouTube grey market sellers all gathering together to sell watches at prices that they all agree on .

It’s only grey market dealers though thats the problem.A trade show or a watch market it may be but it’s not a show.Car shows aren’t about selling everything on display , no more than any other show for enthusiasts of a particular interest . It’s very much a group of grey market dealers getting together to pimp their wares and I would gamble my own watches that there is no competing for customers going on.All the dealers prices will be pre discussed and no dealer is going to undercut another dealer .Is it coincidence that the first day is trade only?All the best deals will be done before the doors open.

And as for Thorpe being the knight in shining armour trying to help locate the missing watches ….Fitz says it perfectly here

Paul seemed half drunk on the video last night telling every one what had happened. He was selfless as ever doing the “I thought it important to come on here, and let you, you the amazing public watch people, know what was going on”.

fuck off.

I doubt there is any discussion on price between the dealers like that. There could be 100 dealers there. Each with 100 plus watches. That would be a lot of watches to agree prices on. They all know the market values and what people are willing to pay. Their buy in prices being the biggest factor I would guess.

All those sales men, in the same room ,selling the same product to a group of customers who have paid to be allowed into that sales room.. Do you really think that pricing has not been discussed?These are salesmen there to make sales.They are not watch enthusiasts .

Selling watches there would be like shooting fish in a barrel .It’s a salesman’s wet dream and the icing on the cake is they have convinced people that its a show .Mr Paul honest Thorpe doing his bit for the “watch community “ and keeping us all informed. Its everything that is wrong with the watch hobby all under one roof.

No need to price fix at the show, with the internet these day, sure the dealers price fix using chrono24 and ebay in plain sight.

I dont see the point of a watch show in the internet age, especially as I am sure there are no bargains to be had. Except as a exercise in displaying tyres to be kicked, or gouging the few saps that cannot look up a price on their phones and want to carry round a watch in london.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The watch shows do hold an interest for me but purely in the tyre kicker sense.

I'd be much less likely to buy there I think? Though that said if one looks at gun shows and the like in the US? No doubt quite a bit of business gets done at them.

Advertisement