Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL, maybe we should all give up the hobby lads and either go watchless or buy a fw-91 for a fiver 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s a hard choice.

I reckon Thorpe is the worst , his **** adverts of trusted friends screams 90s British timeshares salesman .

Roman & Tim I always thought were harmless,Roman at least is a real business.Archie & Anthony are both vile in their own way .

For all Oisin’s faults when he gets a video right at least it’s enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Londong based friend (with a heap of tasty watches) sent me an insta page watch_crime_ldn (https://www.instagram.com/watch_crime_ldn/?hl=en)

Pretty sobering stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Accurate descriptions are accurate.

Add gringa/jenni- Faux pretend watch fans, trading off their slightly above average looks to simp watch fans, directed by their cuckold husbands

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Happened to have a conversation with a border policeman a few weeks back at a ferry port, and he was sporting an FW91.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mmmm I wonder if I could sell that line of thinking to the Mrs? Then I could work on convincing her that each PADI level calls for a new watch 😉

So that's open water, advanced open water, rescue Diver and with any luck I can convince her that specialty certs are a qualification too 😁

And as luck would have it I’ve the perfect watch for sale for a man with a padi license..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Didn't you have the pepsi turtle (that I bought off you)? Bought and sold one 3 times. Still miss it, great watch indeed.

@scwazrh has the samurai above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The descriptions of the YT chancers on that Reddit poll are great.

My Mrs flew over to City this morning, last thing she did before heading out the door was leave the Datejust on the bedside locker. It's not particularly fancy, especially in London terms, but a two tone DJ gets identified far too easily. Just not worth the risk over there if you know you'll be out and about in the evenings.

Post edited by mailforkev on

• Advertisement

I can't think of any other capital city in Europe, but if I went to London, the Rolex stays at home. Insured and all as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I did read somewhere yesterday that those two scrots on the Deliveroo mopeds that smashed the Chiron window to get the guys platinum Daytona were found & arrested last week. Seems to be rarity though that these lads are caught. Some very sobering stories on that IG account.

Ironically the Chiron window may cost more than the watch to replace 😁 But these watch thefts are getting serious. That insta page shows a lot of violent robberies where they stab and cut people to get the watches, not just the usual menace and threat....I would not bring a fancy watch to London, maybe Rome either are serious pick pockets there too.

You are right, I had the turtle...scwazrh's one is nicer to be fair. Always thought it was a good solid watch, not pretentious, not trying to be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

they never got the Daytona. The window held up well. New enough car, I wonder if the windows are covered under warranty? :)

I think both the turtle and samurai are a good honest watch and particularly like the king versions with ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal.Big problem with them now though is their price .At €500 they are just not as good value as steinhart , some tissot or Hamilton.A lot of seiko with the 4r35 & 36 movement have lost the brilliant value for money they once were.

They are super robust though. I still think €500 for a sturdy reliable dive watch from a decent make is good value. Provided of course the build quality is sound. Which it isn't any more in the case of a lot of Seikos. Misaligned bezel even puts me off and I am super low on the scale of OCD 😂

Personally I've had pretty much all Seiko (PADI) divers in this price class, except the Samurai. It never really appealed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Was only in Barcelona once for a brief work trip a good few years ago. Saw a woman get her handbag snatched on both days I was there. Narrow, windy streets full of tourists, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel for the local scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I popped in last night to say Barcelona and for some reason it never posted.

I lived in Spain for @ 4yrs and was in and out of the mainland quite a bit and Barcelona always had a large street crime problem once you went anywhere outside of Las Ramblas IMO.

• Advertisement

Didn't happen before '75. Only sayin'

Just seen on instagram that Brittany gringa (not sure of her proper name)… her husband went to Paris today to collect a FP journe for her and had it stolen on the way out of the shop .

Lol. Link?

edit just seen it on his own insta.

could be stunt in bad taste but assume not.

There is a reason why Paul gansta Thorpe mentions in every video that he keeps no watches at his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What is a normal discount on an Omega? I tried on a Speedmaster today and they knocked 16% off and then upped it to 20% without too much pushing. I won't be buying one anytime soon, I was in the boutique with a service query on my wife's constellation but amazed at how hungry to sell they were. It was coming in at €6k converted to a very very weak euro but when viewed in the local currency and what I earn in, I couldn't say it was massively outrageous.

20% is a good discount now but if we are heading back to pre covid watch market you could probably get a bit more .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

With current exchange rates would you not be better off buying in Uk/irl?

Interesting that there is discounts where you are. You don’t hear of much these days but they have no choice such is the weakness of the euro.

20 percent off and still 6k? Is that about the euro retail?

If paying 6k then you are still paying at least 2k to much.

A fine watch that has stayed true to its roots. But boring as **** and common as muck IMH but unpopular opinion at this point.

Omega upped their prices by 100% over the last few years and now they give you a 20% discount? No wonder they are hungry to sell 😁

Trickle down economics, as the frustrated Rolex buyer can now get watches or at least not pay massive premiums grey, and generally are reluctant to spend on watches as they are not the "investments" they once were, they are not as keen to buy "relationship" pieces from the AD. Also the prices increases have been ridiculous over the past while, and without the carrot of waiting lists incentivising people to overspend on available watches, the stock is sitting.

Yes I know not every Omega buyer is a frustrated Rolex buyer, but without that cohort driving sales a low tide sinks all ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Yes, €6k on the nose. €1 = 0.4 OMR but reality is the euro used to be valued at about 0.45/46 OMR which is a more reasonable barometer. This was for a Speedie with clear back. Retail was 3000 OMR and it fell to 2400 OMR without even asking. I'm not buying it anyway, I've "watch money" but it needs a good chunk more adding too and a speedie isn't on my list of what I want to get.

Advertisement