Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’d say that’s reasonable.€15400 in an AD plus AD games or €17k ish to get it now and no games seems all right .As to whether that watch is worth that type of money is a subjective, I think @Fitz II had one so would have first hand experience to give .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Rootbeer is a very nice watch, much nicer in the metal. Only issue I had was that the two tone still has a certain vibe that was not 100% me. Still got a lot of complements on the watch and it passed the wife test. Value wise I would have said 15.5k grey was about right 12 months ago, have not been keeping up with the prices. Still its close enough to retail which did jump there.

I would have another, but I didnt weep letting it go. I flicked it into a ceramic daytona (which was a huge disappointment) so I would have one over a daytona again. Its a scratch magnet mind you, but the rose gold is lush.

Did any make you weep when you moved them on ?

You’d a few I’d love .The gold aquanaut, the AP chrono and I can’t remember the exact reference but it was a Patek annual calendar , All cream of the crop to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

The TT side of things doesn’t bother me, already have a TT Tudor. It’s a watch for our wedding so I want something that is a little bit dressier than a sub, but won’t get the use out of a dress watch, and have been pining after a gmt for a while. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Rootbeer under those needs seems a very nice solution. They have a real quality feel.

Of all my watches the one I miss was the Rose gold Aquanaut. On the rubber it was such a nice watch and very wearable. The Patek Annual was a little small and the AP was a little big. If I could have any back it would be the aquanaut but I will never get one at that price again. I know a lot of people dont rate the aquanauts, and they are a little underwhelming when considered aside their cost, but there was something about it. Although it was very attention grabbing to the point waiters and people in pubs would comment on it making me slightly nervous. Not a walking around london watch if you know what I mean. always though the AP was my one and done, but selling it gave me no regrets (except I mistimed the market and could have made 20k more for the sake of 3 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I was never a fan of the 1162 bracelet that came with the Speedmaster Mark II. It reminded me a lot of flared trousers.

I've played with various designs and have settled on the 1171, which has a common appearance to the above, but not as wide, and the 1450, which was never designed for the Mark II.

Forstner do a good replica, as do Uncle Seiko, which was where I got the 1171.

I found some generic end links that mimic the Z-33 style bracelet and fit the Forstner 1450 perfectly.

I also found an old Speedmaster clasp that fits just nicely.

However, after a few months of wear, the Forstner 1450, which has a nice section of spring links, started to get a bit baggy, and the springs were obviously failing. A no quibble exchange with them saw a new one sent out. Fair play!

Between the spare links from the old one, and the adjustment for the new one, I set about the task and managed to put together a complete 1450 with solid links, and the new JB branded Forstner double button, milled clasp.

So, it was not only outstanding service from Forstner, but I now have two usable bands for the Mark II.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Collecting a watch from Cartier and I think they forgot about Christmas

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Had been hoping to pick up a Stowa Marine 36 in their annual advent sale. However, apparently during the week their factory was broken into an old the stock for the sale (and a number of historical museum pieces) were stolen. I see a lot of people online commenting that this might put them in an awkward place financially, that they've been struggling a bit lately.

Interesting market evluation for "hype" pieces...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My pension ill-health drawdown options dropped in the door this morning. The Mrs has made me swear that I'm not buying watches from the lump sum 🤷‍♀️

Not fair at all, but? I suppose now it's actually 100% official that I'm "retired".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭micks_address

Surely your retirement deserved to be marked by something like oh a watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think the Nautilus is a beautiful watch but I may have to learn that I'll never own own. I think I'll sleep ok.

That's what I said, along with it being an investment, a good time to buy and sure I can get something nice to be an heirloom piece.

All shot down in flames with a quickly produced list of what I'd bought and excuses I'd given over the last 2/3 years. Along with a very well timed dig that her car cost less to service this week than my Omega🤷‍♀️

She got me good. What I might do is play an even longer game 😉 Buy solar PV set up and then roll those savings into my next watch, Man maths will win out yet 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

How do I delete this comment on this (not so) new boards?

Definitely recommend solar with battery storage.. even with a correctly sized battery setup.. I've halved my electricity bill by charging overnight and using the battery to power the house during the day . That's not even counting solar generation which should kick into overdrive from spring onwards and is still producing some power even in freezing fog like today which is quite a feat. Frees up some money for more watch purchases 😉

You flipped in and out of another speedie? There may be an intervention needed for you yet Mick ;)

On the PV front, I've had it on the long finger for a while and had initially planned on getting the bits a couple of years and having a cousin of mine commission it for me. Now he's back doing industrial and controls work. I've got plenty of S/SE facing roof and the grant is there to be taken advantage of and better to use it or lose it I suppose.

Haven't flipped one since the summer but always have an eye out for one

For those who can't quite spring as far as a Speedy Pro, the Bulova Lunar Pilot is now available in 43mm case size, with retro dial, no date and bead blasted case finish.

Also, a new "Silver Snoopy" colour scheme.

Interesting.

each to their own but if i desire a speedy i will hold out for a speedy or not bother rather than get a Bulova

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rootbeer looked great on you. I get that you've qualms about two tone, I'm the same myself. I'm attracted to it in recent times but it brings up connotations of used car sales men.

• Advertisement

Well the bulova was on the moon as well or at least in space. I had one and it was to big with an 18mm lug with so wore strangely..

I bought that one from you I think. I only wore it a couple of times and sold it.Then bought another , didn’t wear that and sold it .Come to think of it my habit with the lunar pilot is like yours with speedies , maybe it’s contagious .

I'll check it out when the new model is available. In the state's late Jan so might look at it then.. also keen to check out the smaller Hamilton Murphy.. or another speedy 😂

Ok slight update here, so I visited the local AD and this is the price they quoted me for a new Root Beer (Middle East and from what I’ve read they don’t follow Rolex list price.)

So I just got the call from the AD to say they have in stock, 48 hours to make a decision. Realistically what’s the chances of getting one at retail in an AD in Uk/IRL with zero purchase history? This will be brand new straight from Rolex AD, at less than I can see any in europe on chrono24.

walking straight in off the street without knowing someone or a purchase relationship you wont get a root beer in ireland or the uk for ages if at all, think of how many people are going in daily asking about them to flip let alone serious buyers that want one.

If you are in the middle east you should be able to pick one up retail, have you travelled around all the ad's in the area to enquire ?

one Rolex ad i was talking to recently said the amount of lazy people that just ring or email is crazy, and when i asked what they say he laughed and said they have no chance if they were standing in front of them never mind on the phone

disclaimer- this is only my opinion

From what I’ve read on Rolex forums RRP isn’t relevant! It’s essentially RRP plus sales tax of 15%. As far as I’m aware this is the only AD for Saudi Arabia.

Im curious as to what people have said in those emails, and what’s the right/wrong thing to say!

Yeah I wouldn’t fancy giving them free money personally but obviously it depends how much you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if thats the watch you really want id go for it, but at that money best case youd take a small loss on it selling it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Flying through LHR T2 today and decided to have a quick window shop.

All the exhibitions only models in the window were ticking. Have Rolex changed their exhibition models or are we seeing stock coming back? Seen it on two GMT-II’s and a submariner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Advertisement