Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

ScotchBrite is a bit more coarse and abrasive than your super market pot pad.

You'll get three sheets in a packet in place like Woodies, and other DIY type places.

Just be careful with it, get the feel of it first before going at something you value.

Great stuff though. I use it on my radially brushed Mark II Speedie when I get a scratch or a rub on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I would appreciate some advice from this great group: What would be a fair price for a Lip Mach 2000 original from the 70s (Valjoux 7734 movement).

I've had an itch for one for a while and was considering the reissue quartz version. Never seen the reissue in real life but some second hand ones don't look high quality (for example, chrono seconds hand a bit off when at 0).

I may have an opportunity to get the original but not sure if 1500 is a good price. I've compared Chrono24 and other places and the prices are all over the place (900 up to 8000).

Worth a punt on such an old watch or best to save up for something better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Anyone know of a reliable seller for vintage seiko? Loads on eBay and even a few on adverts but most have aftermarket parts .Im looking for as original as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've long been looking at and collecting the vintage LIP stuff and still have a few including two early quartz LIP Tallon(mach 2000) examples. If you can get an original 70's one for 1500 quid I'd say that's an ok price for one. If it's in good condition. No wear to the coloured ball pushers etc, though worse case you can still get NOS replacements on French ebay. Try and get one with the original rubber strap.

The movement is a classic and near bulletproof, though I'd factor in a service at some point.

I'd personally avoid the new re-issues and the ones from the 90's(all quartz IIRC), though the ones from the 90's are smaller. Bear in mind the originals are a large watch and because of that funky shape wear larger again. Mine are one of the very few watches I've ever owned that "normal people" look at and ask me about.

Pretty much the only issue with any old watch(and 70's isn't that old) is water resistence, or lack of it. Other than that they're about as shockproof and antimagnetic as new stuff is. Plus they're of course rarer, more unusual(the LIP Tallons certainly are)and you're likely to get your money back when you come to sell it. Something you'd find difficult with anything new at that price point.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Mrs saw the 10 slot one and immediately decided that it would be the easiest way to put a hard limit on my watch numbers 😟

Luckily, it was out of stock 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Thanks @Wibbs!! Never seen the original or reissue in real life but going back to it on watch buy/sell sites. Not surprised yours gets so much "normal people" attention. :)

This one I have an eye on looks in good condition and the seller seems to have taken good care of it. I'll try to haggle a bit.

Are they easier to find in France? Seen a few Instagram posts of people claiming to buy an original during trips to Paris.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep they're generally a lot easier to find in France. They were also popular in the US for a time. That 70's pinup type Farrah Fawcett wore one.

Here's one of mine; time and date quartz from '74 with the original oddball box for them.

They're not a small watch by any stretch. The 90's ones dialled down the dimensions from the 70's in your face levels.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonder how much for a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

https://youtu.be/wISPQOFrDHk Might interest some people here

Interview with Nico Leonard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

who is the twat hosting, hes calling a batman an entry level watch

fmd thats me out

The internet isn’t for everyone

Nico calling people who take pics with private jets dicks

Did he not do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a lot of dicks in certain circles of the youtube watch community.

I think nico is playing the part of a dick in his videos which is his full time thing now as he lets his team do the watches apparently

The lads hosting that have popped up on my instagram feed before .The old lad in it seems like a right idiot.He comes out with stuff that would make Oisin roll his eyes.

One of the clips I seen was the old bloke going on about a women’s body count . Real 20 year old kid bulsh*t from a lad that has to be pushing 60.Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Those strike it big lad are "finfulencers" giving out dodgy financial advice to young lads. Awful cringe shorts and tick tocs. Nico is a more genuine chap than they are, but both aim at the same demographic of broke aspirational young lads.

BQ watches has taken over watchmaster which went tits up following the huge robbery in Germany

This is good news for anyone with a consignment piece with them

https://www.watchpro.com/exclusive-bq-watches-recovers-watches-from-the-wreckage-of-watchmaster-in-the-uk/

How did watchmaster gmbh getting robbed financially affect watchmaster uk ?Obviously the two companies were different entities .I would guess that the slowdown in watch sales put the writing on the wall for watchmaster uk and the robbery is a convenient patsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭893bet

I assume no one wanting to do do business with them. Would you be happy to send 25k to them and hope they have a watch to send back.

Definitely not .But they still had over 1400 watches in on consignment so not an issue with no stock to sell.

I did read that if you put a watch on consignment with them and then take it back there’s a 2 grand fee so once they’ve got your watch you’d have to leave it there .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭893bet

Yeah it’s seems like they were using the clause to hold the watches when everyone wanted them back as they tried to keep trading.

But couldn’t keep trading due to falling market and obviously reputational damage.

BQ have not bought them, rather taken over their stock. Unusual and customers are lucky. Susrpised they had not managed to run up debt etc and folded and the watches going into the assets pile with the owners of the watches then being bottom of the pile for payment.

Open to correction on this but my understanding is that putting your watch on consignment doesn’t mean you lose legal ownership of it.It can be complicated in so far as proving your ownership and that it’s not the businesses property once the receiver steps in , but getting it back before the business ceases trading should be just a case of getting it into your hands. So if thats correct BQ are just sending watches back to the rightful owners at their cost I assume in return for the good publicity.Big task to pack and ship and deal with 1400 individuals for no profit.

I wonder if all the watches being moved are actually on consignment from real people .It opens up a clever way of getting stock out of the business .Be interesting to see how many watches are left on the balance sheet when the receivers get control and after BQ have completed their charitable act.

from my understanding on companies house the german based company and uk company are linked because one of them were directors of the other so theres massive legal and financial implications, technically the watches could have tied up for years with legal issue so this way at least the owners of the watches have options now going forward as opposed to radio silence since the robbery. Sales were badly impacted because people did not have trust in the company.

Previously when you consign your watch with watch master they have it for a year or you pay say 25% to get it back early,If after a year it hasn’t sold you get it back with no charge. People couldn't just pull their consignment pieces back when they want as otherwise it’s not a profitable business model 

most people consign without reading the small print of the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

Only £69. Which one should I go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Last time I partook of 80 euro muff I needed antibiotics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Advertisement