Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Stick up a photo when you get it. Some nice looking watches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That's cool and not disagreeing at all, but I've been stung a fee times on that basis for the customs charge from even .ie sites.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They are claiming they will reimburse all if any customs charges/fees if they do occur. They're a well established brand so I would trust they'd keep their word.

I'm humming and hawwing so it will probably be the next time I've a few pints I pull the trigger.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

One I want won't be in stock till October. Oh well. Incidently they've a pretty good sale at the moment on some of their older stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

Got the White Seamaster On Chrono24 when first released a few years back. No difficulty and no regrets. Agree with whoever said to get the bracelet & then a Rubber strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

Views on gold watches? Omega Senda gold is a redish alloy. Maybe an acquired taste. A significant birthday next year and Mrs suggests I should get (another) watch...😁 Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 220.52.41.21.03.001

• Registered Users Posts: 65,310 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's lovely @fortyplus. The colour of the gold looks very similar to Rolex (everose) rose gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Any ideas?

Perhaps a royal oak offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bracelet appears integrated and chrono pushers look like slabs rather than cylindrical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,797 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're definitely a lot closer (if not completely spot on) with your guess alright.

Slab pushers, square crown and not cylindrical like the Linde.

Solid bezel with screws, the linde has cut outs.

Yeah maybe not a lw on reflection but doesnt look like a royal oak offshore to me basis that pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭scwazrh

strap to case connection isn’t right for a Royal Oak .Chopard Alpine maybe ?

That's gotta be it, the slipper fits. Now home with you before midnight.

Mads is a classy dude. He has a Patek Philippe moon phase in hannibal which I'm enjoying lately.

Well done, was only looking at them in Weirs last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Spent a long weekend in London. Had a look in Bucherer, Watches of Switzerland and a seiko boutique. Heaven! Just need a big bag of money now.

I was surprised by the amount of preowned Rolexes available in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Normally a good place to find them 👍🏻

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Did you see the new Seiko Diver GMT with green face and bezel (very similar to a Sjmo with GMT) and if so what did you think of it? Just seen it online so far and very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have seen it in a few jewelers. It actually looks better in the flesh I think. The Sumo is right at the size limit of what I can get away with though.

Did see the new Seiko srpk17 yesterday really like it and was very tempted. It's not quite as legible as I'd like though, hands could be a little thicker with more lume.

I'd be 99% certain they're will be a Pogue version of it next year. Even as a 3 hander with the gold dial and Pepsi bezel I'd buy it. An auto chrono seems unlikely because of price but maybe they'll use a solar movement or an auto with GMT subdial would still look the part.

I looked at the 3 new Save the Ocean Prospex too. Really liked the dial on them but not the blue hour hand with it. Prefer last years Manta Ray, think I'm going to pick up the Dark Samurai version though I'm still tempted to blow the budget and get the SPB297J1 65 Glacier Dial. It's a lot of the reason I held of buying the Seiko 5 yesterday.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Before he was married and I came along, in 1954 my dad walked into Tiffany in New York where he was living and working at the time(New York, not Tiffany) and bought this:

14Kt Gold "knotted lugs" Longines made in 1950.

Movement imported, cased(by US company Apex) and timed in America by Longines Wittnauer in New York. Back then there were humongous tariffs on imported goods, particularly precious metals, so Longines imported "raw" movements and dials, cased them up locally, made them look more "American made" to avoid the tariffs(like this one they often don't have "Swiss" on the dial). Longines who had always been one of the most popular Swiss brands in the US and the Americas in general got even more traction and were shipping nearly 200,000 movements per year into the states after 1945.

Clearly a good plan so Jaeger LeCoultre and Vacheron Constantin approached Longines to get in on the gig and VC and JLC watches went through the same process at the Longines Wittnauer factory. They also came up with the US only LeCoultre brand.

Weirdo lugs were a thing for the 1950's in the US. Knotted lug designs were as 50's as big finned cars and others took up the design after Longines, so you can find them on Benrus, Bulova, Gruen, JLC/LeCoultre(identical cases to the Longines examples, which makes sense as they were put together in the same factory)

Did The Da get a Tiffany dialled example? Feck no. Let me down there, the fecker. 😁 I did ask him why once and interestingly his take was Tiffany was more a "feminine" brand and shop, so why would a man have that on the dial? He did have the receipt, but that got lost years ago. When I was a kid, though he used a chap on Dame St in Dublin to service his other watches, he used to wrap this watch in paper in a large matchbox and send it in the post with a covering letter and loads of stamps to Longines in Switzerland to get a service.😮 A few weeks later it would come back in the same post with a receipt for work done, usually with catalogues, sadly also long gone. He'd then send them a bank draft for the cost. Different more innocent times. 🙂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

does anyone have any thoughts on this watch? I've been able to source this new for just over the 800. Will be my first "expensive" watch so to speak and will wear it regularly but not all the time. Had been looking at Tissots also but this one stood out to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hamilton are a good solid watch in that price range and hit above that price range in a few ways.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's very dressy IMHO. But then again, if you like it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i learned a long time ago if i like a watch not to ask other peoples opinions on it because you're likely going to get someone come in and mug off something about it that you then can't get out of your head and it ruins the watch

if you like it buy it and enjoy it @Browney7

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Very nice. Where is it new for €800? Looking at Hamiltons myself. One you linked is quality but I'd prefer it without the power reserve indicator. From my experience the power reserve indicator is pointless. You check the time each morning and give the watch a few winds, no need to know the reserve, it takes from a clean dial. But some people like them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Thanks all - watch purchased and delighted with it. I've a dressy occasion coming up so that was influencing the decision...just have to go buy a nice dive watch now!!!

@Cienciano I got it in 'Hour Passion' and they had a good selection of Hamiltons - nearly pulled the trigger on an American Classic Spirit of Liberty which was a little cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just out from my brother's funeral mass. No watch talk but? Churches in Ireland were definitely built with shorter Irish folk in mind than our family 😉

Granted they were all probably built in an era where the diet was subsistence rather than the gluttonous range of menu choices we have these days.

Of the 4 boys remaining, we are 6'4", 6'3, 6'2 and the runt is 5'10 (we love him anyway🤣) and my son and nephew both 6'2ish.

Anyways as we shouldered our brother out of Charleville church, we literally had to limbo under the doors.

Then as we stood outside and a pile of my deceased brothers boy racer & biker friends decided that burning rubber was a far more appropriate way to waft prayers for Colin, than incense 🚗🔥

My son turned to me as cars were donutting on the N20 and asked "Are, are we white trash?"

I thanked him for the family guy reference and told him we are definitely trash adjacent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Sorry for your loss, mate.

However, I also would prefer the aroma of Castrol R 2T, and the smell of burning silicon, lamp black and rubber than the miasma of frankincense from a censer and the murmurings of some senile celebate.

Advertisement