Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What's this watch? Is it a GP?

Value?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Hublot

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Homer

value.. probably less than what they paid for it! Horrible things

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hublot, that's understandable.

It was on an ex-footballers wrist.

More money than sense.

Probably got given it for free then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember reading about Richard Mille and someone said "only poor people pay for them"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone know if there is any scope to haggle in the likes of swiss watch club, or kish? Prices seem on the high end for vintage and pre-owned and figured that might be as they expect to knock a few %off at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's amazing how close replicas can get these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭893bet

What I take from that video is that 5 seconds under a loop and suspicions will be raised immediately. If you had a genuine one to compare beside it then that drops to 1 second. Night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Interesting to see that the fakers are moving beyond perfecting their Rolex game.

I tend to agree with you on having a loupe or a gen to compare to. I know the age old advice of buy the seller and not the watch, but? It's worrying to see the level of effort put in by the fakers to now even attempt high end finishing. The similarity of the base plates, screw locations and other parts in the fake movement are IMO a worry. They are moving beyond just making the case and dial look "right" to function and movement now too.

I know that the "high-end" fake Rolex 4130, Submariner & GMT movements are almost fully compatible and interchangeable with Rolex parts.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's amazing how some expensive watches made by respected watch manufacturers turn out so bad. Has anyone seen a worse looking watch than this Audemars Piguet manky looking thing outside the argos elizabeth duke collection?

https://www.chrono24.com/watch/DVWJK6

Saw a thread this morning that highlights a watch brand I've had the pleasure of having in hand for a few minutes thanks to @893bet letting me run my manky paws over his absolutely beautiful Dornbluth. The finish and attention to detail are IMHO absolutely impeccable and the watch itself is outstanding.

It is as close to high horology as one can get without a mortgage IMO ;)

Anyway a thread over on TZ UK with a model/option I wasn't aware they offered, in a GMT! That and their being happy to engrave Gurmurkhi script? Makes me wonder if perhaps Cló Gealach would be an option for personalisation? The guy who bought the watch linked has the flukey happenstance that his Punjabi monogram looks like a Badass starwars sigil🤣

This sub forum is dangerous....

I went from having a quartz ana-digi and thinking spending big money on watches was stupid!(Just like 4/5 years ago!) to thinking, well its 5 figures but its money well spent versus a mass produced stainless steel and even as far as, well "its an heirloom piece and it'll always have value to me"🤦‍♂️

Watches, they're a drug

**Other news**

Breitling have bought universal geneve! Could hopefully lead to some interesting re-releases at the very least.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Would anyone have any info on where I might be able to find a Duracell 371 battery in a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I've used these before and found them very quick. 370/371 are the same physical size, but the 370 is for higher drain watches, alarm/chronograph, and the 371 is for normal watches. You'd have by Friday if you order today.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

Stumbled across this elswhere 😁🥳

Was very sold on the cartier tank (price aside!) but since found the Longines Dolcevita which looks like a cheaper copy, but still quality being longines.

I guess cartier would hold it's value more, but hard to look past the longines for value for money. But would love a cartier. Hmmm

Any advice? Ideally I would buy both 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Cartier tank style belongs to Cartier .Anything else that looks like a tank but isn’t ,is at best a homage .

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

If you like the tank get the tank and then if you still like the longines after that then crack on, if the price is an issue then maybe You dont want it that much

ive settled for a similar lesser watch before and then grew to dislike it because it wasn’t what I wanted originally

• Advertisement

Thanks (Tanks! :)) guys - you are probably right that, better to save a bit longer for the Tank otherwise I will probably be always looking at the longines on my wrist with a bit of disappointment

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd agree, I've spent money chasing a specific look/brand, but not fully satisfied until I got the actual one I liked.

Best to resist the urge and get the right one, will be cheaper in the long run 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

So, I recently went a bit mad and acquired a lovely old chronograph from what I considered to be a luxury brand.

It is in very worn, but honest condition. There are a few bits of external furniture on it and I inquired of the manufacturer if the parts for this 30+ year veteran were still available.

A very prompt response came back...

"Due to our quality standards and the complexity of our products, which require specific tools and very targeted training, Spare parts can only be delivered to certified service centers; this guarantees, among other things, proper maintenance throughout the entire lifespan of our watches."

The part in question has a screw in it with a slotted head!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭893bet

I am sure all you big dicks are in Tudor/Rolex/omegas/pangani thoughts this Xmas.

The Mrs picked up a new car at the end of November and as a Christmas treat for her, I decided I'd give it a ceramic coating. I've heard great things and seen some fantastic results. I had planned on getting a lad I know to do it but it was running €700 and no car for 3 days.

Cue Banie01 deciding to give it a lash 😉 I picked up some Gtechniq ceramic sealant, gave the car a good wash and got to work. My Pain issue flared up mid job so the front of the car is done as far as the doors and all the glass is done too. Hopefully finish it up tmrw if I feel a bit better.

Anyway, on the topic of watches. I had a cloth with spray on it, and a nice dry buffing cloth and I've now ceramic coated my Sinn 104 and my mobile phone 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭micks_address

Had that done on my last car...top of the range job was 1500 but i went for one about 500. like watches and I suppose anything else you can easily go down a car detailing rabbit hole. The current car got the free thrown in lifeshine option from VW and it probably helps but whether you get a return on investment is very much debatable.. it certainly seems to keep the car a bit cleaner and it washes easier as stuff just falls off the paintwork

We got 2 services rather than any paint protection other than as delivered. I have a foam cannon and the reviews for the stuff I bought on Amazon were excellent. Same idea in that it makes the car surface far slipper for dirt and water. It makes the glass hydrophobic too. Water really does bead off wonderfully. Same effect on my phone screen too, no smudges or prints since buffing it on.

i got the ceramic coating on my car a year ago and €1300 well spent, the car was gone for a few days but its so much easier to keep clean and the paintwork is like glass and a 7 year warranty too

I'll hopefully get hers finished tmrw and even on the parts of the car I've already done, including front wheels, and plastic trims, it really does make the car pop. The gleam off the bonnet and alloys in particular is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Look at my car resembling a German panzer on the Russian front, in winter. Hangs head in shame. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement