Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭893bet

Life is too short for washing your car. Think I have washed my current car probably 4 times in the last 4 years.

Thats my excuse. Funny enough I bought a kranzle power washer this year. Serious power. Power washed it once…..had the wrong nozzle on and it stripped some paint……whoops. Still….can’t see that for the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Life is too short for washing your car.

I know what you mean, but I'm practically retired these days and have far too much free time on my hands. So the car will get a decent ceramic coat, the rest of the washing will be done by the lads on the Ennis rd😉

It's all part and parcel of keeping the Mrs sweet😁 Happy wife, happy life and all that jazz.

In a watch related bit of "news" the Atelier Wen per perception V2 campaign email landed in my inbox a short while ago. They've tweaked the design a little and have made some improvements, new price is $2788. I do think it is a lovely piece, and Hamish the Watch Guy on twitter had 1 in hand last week that he seemed to like.

All that said? I still can't bring myself to put money down in one. Yes it's got a lot of work in it that were it German, Swiss or even Italian would set you back 5x the money. But?

The European brands all have at least a notional residual value that I can't see the Atelier Wen having. Yes there are some on Chrino24 in the €2.5k - €3.5k bracket, but they've been sitting there quite a while. On top of that, with the market in steep decline, I do think that it'll be available at deep discount 2nd hand by middle of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Happy Christmas to one and all. Looking forward to seeing the new additions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

C’mon now , Do you not fancy adding that fine horological piece to your own collection?

I can appreciate it for what it is and design wise it’s ok as it’s leveraging from else where. That’s half the problem. Even when they try to go “high end” it’s still a homage.

I'm on a buying hiatus 😉 I really need to start downsizing rather than doing man maths to justify just one more watch. I have 1 due in from a Kickstarter in February. I have far too many mid range and might see about a little consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I stayed out of the game for 2023, nothing in or out. Am getting a bit of an itch for something new in the new year though.

Hope ye all have a great Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭micks_address

Last 12 month's, bought a moonswatch, sold a month later, sold the steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT, bought a 2018 seamaster 300m blue, traded it for 2012 planet ocean, bought a Hamilton aviation day date (interstellar cooper reference), sold a Seiko sla037.. the Seiko was class. Sold a Dan Henry 1962.. the Hamilton is nice but not sure I'm loving it so may list in January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I made one switch this year selling my 39mm steinhart to buy the ocean vintage GMT above from Mick.

And have still pretty much worn only my G-Shock every day! Not sure I've an itch for anything at the minute, which is unusual for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was well and truly bitten by the bug this year. 13 watches at last count, and 2 or 3 more on the way for 2024...

I need to reign it in now and focus on some specific pieces. Was gutted I missed this deal the other day, it's on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Merry Christmas watch folks

The internet isn’t for everyone

Happy Christmas Folks! I hadn't planned on more additions without letting something go, but?

I got an email from Monro this morning to let me know I'd won 1 of their 3 limited edition lucky red 😁

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You lucky git!

I got the email to say the draw was happening and had a glimmer of hope.. But no joy for me, well done!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Homer

Another Rolex price increase overnight! Ballpark 4% increase on watches you can’t buy anyway even if you had £9k for a stainless steel sub 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Yes I seen that mentioned on TZ . €10900 for a sub date now .But let’s be honest if you could walk in and buy one at that price ,plenty would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

i was in NYC between Christmas and New Years and took a wander through the diamond district. For a bit of context I'd been following a few NY headers on socia media; Vookum, Tuscanyrose, veralet and others. I also dropped €20 for one month on the vookum verified telegram channel where they buy, sell and generally assist with watch info.

Observations on the diamond district - pretty much anything new and bling is available. No shortages of any Rolex divers, GMTs, Daytonas etc in all sorts of guises. Lots of AP and Hublot etc. Any amount of diamond covered stuff also in abundance. Overall if its flashy its there. Vintage and more subtle brands were a lot less. I asked each one I was chatting to about an 80/90's root beer with the alumnium bezel, chocolate dial on a jubliee and had no luck. One said he could try and source one, others had no interest at all. In terms of prices if you were looking for something in the 10-20k price bracket you could save the cost of flights for two and maybe a hotel (budget depending) by heading over.

Now onto the Vookum verified. Pricing is decent but hard to know unless you really engage on a watch. Over the last two weeks I see some watches appearing a few times so guess they aren't selling. One or two things caught my eye such as Subs and Black GMTs. The ones that did had no box or papers. One sub was 7k and for that price I think it would be good buy as a wear it everyday tool watch as they were intended. 1k more and you will get some papers or warranty card. Again the majority of stuff is Rolex as I'm guessing thats the easiest to flip and make a bit on but there are some APs etc that pop up. Again mostly the stuff that is recogniseable to the the non watch nerds.

To wrap up, it was an interesting exercise and if you are over its worth an hour or two on 47th St. Needless to say I will be canceling the Vookum subscription but for anyone serisous about buying something recent both are worth checking out.

Interesting. I had on occasion noted a 2-4K difference in c24 on models from EU to US and considered if buying a weekend would be worth it.

Until you get pulled in customs….!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Interesting story from BBC News, of a chap what fell off his yacht and used his watch to signal for help.

New Zealand: Man's watch reflection leads to rescue after day in ocean - BBC News

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

It looks like I'll be heading to Tokyo in February with work and was looking for suggestions on areas/ shops that I should try get to.

I'll be located close to the Shingawa train station and it will be a bit of a whirlwind trip but would be great to get to a few decent shops.

I'm not planning on buying anything but if I was to it would be 500 quid max. Are there any suggestions on what I should look out for in the price range?

I've a Speedy, a Seiko King Samurai, a digital G-Shock and a Solas Starlight so not sure where to go to next.

I'd like to get something somewhat unique to Japan and would be interested in a larger G-Shock like a Mudmaster but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!!

My recently serviced 3133 Sturmanskie has somehow got magnetised!

I had made an attempt to regulate it and got it to -2 per day on the wrist. But preferring a slightly faster than slower performance, I was trying ti get it ti +2 per day on the wrist.

When I put it on the timegrapher for the second time, it was very erratic and I couldn't get any good out of it at all.

After reading some advice on the webs, today, I took a good orienteering compass and moved the watch about underneath and the needle followed the watch!

No idea how it happened, but glad I found out.

Will take it to a local place to get it sorted, as I'm rather fond of it.

UPDATE: My local guy in D15 was able to run the watch over the de-magnetiser, and wouldn't charge for it.

Top service!

Will do an accuracy test now to see where it is for 24 hours to see where it is and pop it on the timegrapher again and see where it needs to go.

I'd like to have it at +1 - +3s/d range, of which I know the 3133 is well capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

—-

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

A bit of an open question and apologies if it's inbthe wrong place, but I'm thinking about a big purchase later in the year. Well, big for me. Probably in the 2k range, which I imagine is popular & competitive. I've my eye on a Tudor Ranger, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Laco Chronograph... Any recommendations?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Preference for new, but wouldn't rule out second hand. The few criteria I would have would be that it's not a diver, is no bigger than 40mm and preference for a reputable brand with history as opposed to an independent/ micro-brand

Advertisement