Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭micks_address

chrono24 should be safe enough.. if you havent used before when you buy a watch (typically) you pay chrono24 for it, they hold your money until the watch is delivered to you from the seller and you have confirmed delivery and are happy with the watch. Then you instruct them to 'release' the funds to the seller.. chrono24 obviously take a commission from sales.. so if you are buying from a dealer with a shop then it may be worth your while seeing if they have a 'bricks and mortar' shop that you can buy directly from.. that way sometimes you can get a better deal by cutting out the middle man but then you lose the chrono24 protection etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Iguarantee

Could someone explain how there’s a €1000 price difference between a bricks & mortar AD price and a watch dealer on Chrono24?

New watch linked in the earlier post is ~€4200 and the same watch is ~€5200 in my local AD. I’m strongly considering buying that exact one from Chrono so thanks for the recommend

What’s the benefit of an AD in this scenario? Is it just that I can walk into their shop if I’ve a problem after the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you can still walk into their shop if you have a problem after the sale, its a tudor warranty any AD will send it back to Tudor for you for repair.

most watches depreciate as soon as you walk of the store, and they have pushed RRP high recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Alsoo, just be aware that Tudor don't refinish Titanium… which is bizarre. Anyways, it's apparently easy enough to get good results with an ink eraser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Might be on my own with this but I find the Tudor titanium sticky to touch , it’s not a nice silky finish like the grand seiko titanium which is grade 5 vs Tudor grade 2 .Would advise trying one on before buying online .

Tudor rrp has gone crazy over the last year and the hype for the brand is dead . I previously would have said pay the few pound extra for AD purchase but there’s just too much difference between AD and grey market now so would choose grey .Plus the AD attitude of no discounts is plain annoying, they need to wake up and acknowledge it’s a different market now than to the covid heydays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Was walking through Weir’s a few weeks back and was earwigging in on a sales guy talking to a punter and his Mrs at the Tudor desk. I’d say 90% of what he was saying was about linking them to Rolex, whatever Tudor he was trying to flog obviously had pretty much no USP.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My feeling from these posts is that a 2nd hand, mint condition, 5-line Pelagos offers the best cost:quality option.

I’ve been around plenty of titanium, mainly grade 5, I understand what you mean by sticky, thanks for the heads-up.

The older one is a lot cleaner without the excessive amount of text on the dial

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fully agree, it also means a significant saving over new. I've previously owned the 5 liner and I quickly tired of the busy dial, despite liking everything else about the watch and especially the clasp.
    The Pelagos is a classic of its kind and 2nd hand they do represent good value over new.
    I've not tried the newer 39mm as of yet but, the OG 42mm is IMO a near perfect dive watch and, not to brag 😉 but I've even dived with mine😝

@Iguarantee good luck in your hunt. I'd echo the advice of others regarding buying on Chrono24. Its a good platform and the escrow option affords you a little time to get the watch looked over if you have any doubts as to authenticity. I'd also recommend using it to narrow down your choices. There is significant value to be had 2nd hand versus new for the Pelagos IMO.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, watch this space 😊

Browsing through Reddit this morning and happened across this. A cloned Patek Phillipe 240 Calender movement, apparently fully functioning. It was hard enough when it was Rolex movements being copied but, now it's creeping into super complicated watches too.

Reddit link for any interested, https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1bx9xhk

As an aside, saw a post on TZUK where a dealer was very, very nearly stung with a fake Rollie.

Rolex thread for any interested.

Also read elsewhere that in addition to the known Rolex movements fakes, Daytona and GMT especially, that the new Daytona 4131 movement has also been faked. Its not just lookalikes on the surface anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

A question for the techie here:

My divers bezel is slipping 2 clicks clockwise but only in one position on the dial - when the 0 marker aligns with 12. I assume this may have been a result of it getting snagged, but the fact this only occurs in one location is strange. Any thoughts or advice on why this might be the case or how to repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Evening folks. Just a question. How could you tell from a genuine SKX009 from a modded SKX007.

Thanks

Dial and bezel the only change so if the modded one has oem seiko parts there woudnt be any way of telling the difference, bar there being noticeable poor quality fitting .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

New 2024 Rolex watches. New GMT is about the only one that might interest me.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/new-watches

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Agreed, the rest of them look like they're set to be part of Conor McGregor's new collection.

Yeah the solid gold bluesy sea dweller is a real classy understated piece.. It must weigh nearly 400 grams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

The Daytona is full gangster rapper style. Horrible looking thing but I guess they are following the money and I'm definitly not the target demographics!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm hard pressed to tell the difference with the new GMT, but it's the least garish of them. The 1908 looks OK - I do like a textured dial, but combined with the coin-edge bezel it all looks a bit much.

• Advertisement

The 1908 was the one that caught my eye too. The rest of it? Is all a bit meh or garish. I've a similar reaction to the new Tudors too tbh. The clair de rose dial is v.nice, but it's a ladies watch 🤷‍♂️ In my own estimation, Tudor are also suffering from being too Rolex adjacent these days. I can't remember the last time I wore my black bay at this stage like.

I know it's cool to talk down Rolex and Tudor, but this year's models from both are very meh and that's at extortionate pricing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I suppose Rolex already went wild last year (for them) with their different colour and patterned dials in the oyster perpetual range. The Daytona and Deep Sea are just vulgar looking - I think I'd rather have seen the usual teeny differences in models that the Rolex nerds go crazy for.

Tudor's new black bezel on the BB to look like every other diver is a bit meh - but maybe they've carved out enough of a space in the market with Omega's crazy price hikes that a generic diver makes sense for them.

Thanks for reply. Have 007 but didn't realise they had diffent dials.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Question for the wise people of this forum:

If you were buying a used watch on the secondary market, would it bother you if it's warranty card was never stamped? I'm assuming that Omega would have some database to see where and when it was sold, but I'm curious if it would put you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

once the watch is sound and in good condition the warranty card wouldn’t bother me being stamped, omega do have a database but wether the watch is on there would depend where it came from like a grey dealer for example

most cards these days are digitally coded and quite often not stamped l

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Having bought the Steeldive 1970 I said I'd check out some reviews and noticed that Jody said the spring bars it came with were rubbish. I never gave too much thought to the quality of spring bars but I guess like anything quality can be good and bad. I'll purchase a few replacements- is there a halfway decent brand in this area?

Have an Orient incoming from Germany. Never thought about German on date wheel.

Would english be the second language would anyone know?

Thanks

I've not had a watch on my wrist since Monday and you know what? I really do miss it, continually glancing to my left wrist and then realising I've not got one on🤦‍♀️

I was supposed to have surgery on Monday and went sans watch to the hospital, less stuff to worry about. Anyway surgery was cancelled as I was in Pre-Op. Frustrating but 100% the right call as I want to be better and not dead😉

It's been rescheduled to next Thursday and the necessary safety steps to avoid another cancellation have been sorted. So fingers crossed I'll be well on the mend by next weekend.

I think though, that I need to get upstairs and put a watch on now, or my Mrs will think I'm hallucinating I'm checking my naked wrist so much 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I succumbed to another speedmaster... At least this one doesn't need servicing but I'm short two links..it's the latest reference with brushed bracelet..if anyone has any links for sale be happy to hear from you.

Cheers,

Mick

• Advertisement

Advertisement