Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Is there such a thing as etiquette when trying to buy on adverts? Eg seller wants 300. Buyer 1 offers 250. Can I offer 260 or what? Buyer 1 offer was not accepted. If it was I would leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,292 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No etiquette, you can offer whatever you want. You could even offer lower than the first offer, maybe the seller prefers dealing with you or the previous offer was a while back. I've done that before and got my lower offer accepted many times

Just be polite and use common decency. I recently accepted a €25 offer on an ad that I had up for €95, which was already the cheapest anywhere in the world on eBay.

If you are easily offended, you shouldn't put stuff up for sale on adverts 😂

And I've been on adverts since before it started and was still part of boards for sale over 20 years ago and I have good feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

make an offer for private message and ask their best price and see what they say

They might not have been online since the 250 offer was placed

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Thanks for replies.

If you want the real answer, call an OMEGA boutique in London who are more helpful
    Give them the serial and ask if they do a half link, if not they might have a compatible clasp from a different model. People commonly swap them over in steel Seamasters but titanium clasps are more expensive obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've found these guys good for omega links etc unkel

You can WhatsApp them questions re parts and verify fit etc

https://www.salvatigioielli.it/catalogo/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I've bought Omega parts from them before as well - no issues at all.

They are very good to respond on WhatsApp, impressed!

Unfortunately they do not have anything titanium in stock. My options are:

1. full stainless steel link (they don't have half link in stock) €75 + shipping
    2. wait until they have a half link or full link in stock in titanium
    3. stainless steel clasp with 6 positions €290 + shipping

What would you do?

get in touch with omega in London and find the part number and order it through a local AD if you aren’t planning on travelling anytime soon

Any recommendation on a proper spring bar tool for the Omegas? The watch came originally on the OEM blue rubber which was very nice, maybe I should have left it on that for the summer

SALVATI said that it is fine and looks fine to just use the steel clasp replacement that they charge €290 for. Might do that as a good long term solution, it is a drop in replacement for the titanium one that is on it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I always use the Bergeron spring bar tool, I have a rolex tweezers style one too, depends on the watch! Be careful anyway

I have a Bergeon one, but just one sided. Have used it plenty of times but it is quite likely to do damage. So I usually get my local jeweler to do it, but that often is a tenner, which is fine. But it's inconvenient. Maybe I should invest in a proper tweezers style one too.

Put it on the rubber myself, was much easier than Rolex iirc, much more space in the gap. Happy days, the strap is very comfortable, will have a thought about what to do next with the bracelet

yeah with the bergeon tools i find it handy enough to remove the spring bars on omegas… apart from the aqua terra's which i found most tricky

Any recommendations for a strap like this? 18mm lug width. Have a martu 20mm but I'm not sure Andrea is still in business.. vintage slim calf leather

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I bought one of these and am happy with it for the price. It does look like Martu is no longer in business unfortunately.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/314548595981

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi all,

I’d had a chat with yourselves about buying my first luxury watch recently, the two line Tudor Pelagos was high on the list.

I’m now considering a new Omega Seamaster diver 300 on the bracelet. Also looking at 2nd hand (latest version with the 6 o’clock date window). Looking at the black, green and polar/white versions. The white is nice and highly legible but looks like a watch I’d expect to see on an older person (I’m nearing 40).

Looking at Chrono24 to purchase from.

Is there much of a premium between new and 2nd hand for that model of watch?

I dislike the blue version, which is the only one I’ve seen in person. I tried that version on and was really impressed with the quality and comfort of the whole watch and bracelet.

Is the Tudor bracelet better? I have an OceanX Sharkmaster and whilst the bracelet isn’t stellar, it’s great for a €400 watch and I prefer fewer links and bling than the seamaster diver has. The Tudor bracelet is more my preference aesthetically.

I do remember and understand the point one user made about how titanium can be “sticky” feeling. I like stainless steel and am happy to stick with that.

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Part of me wonders if this is all just a distraction until I buy a sea dweller 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭893bet

omega for sale on the forsale thread today.

Can’t voucher for seller as they are realatively new but they seem ok from initial postings. Best bet to get checked in a relevant jeweller during purchase if you are not confident to authenticate yourself.

Second hand omega I would be expecting to safe 30-40 percent from RRP of the watch .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭scwazrh

New on bracelet seems to be around €4500 ish .I sold my blue one recently for €4k and despite all the comments here about being able to buy new at that price it was just talk as none available new for that money.

If white is your taste this ones seems good value .Id chance a little less offer as well

Tudor bracelet definitely not better than the seamaster .

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega-seamaster-diver-300-m-black-dial-steel--id33699483.htm?searchHash=4afbf603_TnRqER&pos=1

Anecdotally, I spotted this on Chrono24 earlier:

• Brand new (2024)
    • Black dial
    • Bracelet
    • ~€4850 delivered

The seller has 220 reviews; all of which are 4 or 5-star reviews.

There are year 2020 used versions for around the same price; is €5k for a brand new seamaster diver 300m accurate?

Thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear the Omega bracelet is better; it was seriously comfortable, even if aesthetically different.

Maybe it's just me but I found the bracelet more comfortable on the 2018 seamaster.. think I've had a 1999, 2018 and 2022 at this point

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep, that new price is accurate on C24, plenty available there and other places for less.

As mentioned in other threads try reaching out to the seller directly if they have a shop and you should be able to negotiate a better price.

Thanks. I’ve already contacted a seller and offered a lower price (~€200 less).

The price I quoted from Chrono24 was for buyer protection, professional dealer, EU based etc. so I know there are cheaper alternatives. As it would be my first C24 purchase I wanted to sandbag it in my favour.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah, understandable to be fair.

I bought a speedmaster and saved a few quid going direct, but it was a bit stressful and at the time I regretted not sticking with C24. But it did work out fine so I had nothing to worry about 😁

how do folks deal with rotation of 'new' and 'existing' watches in your collection. I wore my planet ocean for 6 months after I got it.. then i got the new Speedmaster (new to me) and wore that for a month straight.. now im wearing a Seiko spb237 i picked up last week. They are all lovely watches but I'm struggling to give them all equal time :)

Maybe I'll just implement a different watch per week rule or something and give them all a go.

Its not like I'm diving or going to the moon on missions to say i need the planet ocean for this days work… in the past I've sold watches like the speedy i thought id fallen out of lust with only to buy it again so selling will be very far down the list.. I did like the period when i just had the planet ocean and there was no choice involved. First world problems as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I tend to wear mine on 3/4 day cycle. I don't need to worry about what to wear to work 😁 but it still breaks down to a fairly even Work/Weekend watch rotation.

I wear a watch a week normally, mine are all.in a safe so it's a bit of a pain so I leave it to once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Literally just pick up whatever one I feel like that day. In a rush it's whatever i wore yesterday or a quartz. Probably depends on what I'm wearing or doing that day.

Advertisement