Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

GShock mon-fri for me as I typically cycle or run to/from work or exercise at lunchtime. My steinhart usually adorns the wrist if I'm out anywhere after work or at the weekends. I found with multiple watches in the box, I didn't wear much other than those two options anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Usually change watches at weekend so I'll grab a different one Monday depending on what I was wearing. I dual wrist a Garmin Vivosmart 5 when wearing normal watches but have a Garmin Instinct 2 that replaces both when doing a cycle or swim . Usually swap to another watch after that but often end leaving on the Instinct 2 for a few days days too. It is an excellent watch in it's own right. Basically a G-Shock replacement with excellent sport tracking, health metrics abilities and a basic smart watch with great battery life.

I still end up favouring my 3 Seiko Divers, Padi Turtle especially and my Stowa Flieger for weekends, so I do consciously have to pick another option sometimes to keep them all in rotation. A Casio Waveceptor is the only one I can think of I actually haven't worn in a while so should start with that putting that on the block. One of the G-Shocks could probably go also but the G-Steel is the only one really worth a few bob and I do quite like it as something different.

Starting to look again at options for my next watch so should really look at getting rid of a few even if it only nets me a few 100 euro it ups the budget a bit. Trying to stay around the €1500 mark but can probably go to 2k for the right watch. I've a few other bits I really should sell and and ringfence for watch fund. My Nikon DSLR has been replaced by a mirrorless and one if not two of my roadbikes are surplus to requirements. Never been great for selling on stuff though, I'm a bit of a collector(hoarder)!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I tend to wear something luxo-tooly most days - the Speedmaster or Seamaster. The Datejust is for sale so I try not to touch it, and the 1971 Seamaster gets a run out now and then (eg for a wedding).

I've been known to change watches during the day. And straps. The Speedy and Seamaster as both very strap-friendly. We're on a black nato today, as it's possibly the most comfortable strap there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

@banie01 rather than respond on other thread said better here.

Them Dornblüth are too special to buy second hand. You need to put your own twist on it IMO.

Also the lad selling one that he paid 7k for for 6k. About 2k too much.

And step away from the Sinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You're definitely right on the Sinn, I don't need another and it's very similar to 2 I already have. Your own Dornblüth and the one that I shared here a while back with the owner's monogram in Gurmukhi really do highlight just how special a watch they are. Certainly one that shouldn't be bought without the personalisation IMO.

Yes it makes it harder to shift on if the need arises but, they are certainly one that should never be bought with the thought of needing to flip in mind.

In hand, they are one of the few watches I've handled that honestly feels like an heirloom. One to be passed on when the time arises. Similarly to your AL&S 😉 proper high Horology.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Am trying to buy from chrono24 but it won't accept my card.

Have bought before no issues. Any one else having problems or any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Interesting that many people here use smart watches daily. As much as I love my dumb watches, I find it very hard to break up with the Apple Watch day to day. Anyone have any experience with the fitness G-Shocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had one gbd200, pretty much sold it straight away. Awkward to use imho. Not very intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

A lot of money for one watch

https://www.watchpro.com/sylvester-stallone-flips-patek-philippe-grandmaster-chime-for-5-4-million/

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

There could be a daily spend limit on your card (happened to me) which stops you from being able to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I just bought one, my debit card was also refused. I did the bank transfer instead, and it was nearly as quick - funds landed in the escrow account the next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iguarantee

I saw the video he did showing off the watch.

The entire purchase and subsequent sale might be a great business decision for him but to buy such a technical watch, never unwrap it and leave it in a safe is just so alien to me.

It’s like those weirdos that bought the Van Gogh Pokémon cards just to seal them and sell them on or people that buy collectible toys and never unwrap them from the packaging.

On a different note, I was in a mainland EU airport this morning and they had an extensive watch collection for sale. I had a look at the Seamaster Diver 300M and it really did seem small to me, I couldn't get on board with it.

They had a blue Tudor Pelagos on a NATO for just under €3500 (can't remember the exact figure) which seems like a bargain to my eyes. I didn't get a chance to try it on but I'm back there in a couple of weeks and I'm considering picking one up if they have the black version or have either on a bracelet.

Post edited by Iguarantee on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kurokishi

Would there be a dealer for Omega in or around Dublin (or even online within the EU) that anyone can recommend?

Only know of Weirs. Wouldn't be fond of the snooty attitude I encountered when I went in to Grafton Street store years ago, but don't hold a grudge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Aib card services worked a bit of magic somehow. Very helpfull as indeed was chrono 24 help line

I've found the lads in lunns in Belfast very nice but haven't bought anything

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This was sound advice. Thanks Mick. Found them very good to deal with, quick to answer questions, very knowledgeable. Was contemplating just going for a half or full link but decided to bite the bullet and get the stainless steel modern clasp with 4 on the fly micro adjustments (without diving extension). Not cheap at €306 incl. shipping but couldn't find it elsewhere any cheaper either. This seems a very popular mod

Arrived in post this morning, just fitted it myself and it is perfect

I've spent an hour today swapping 2 of my Sinn divers onto Silicone and taking the original bracelet off of my seamaster and swapping with the new style bracelet, which doesn't fit the lugs as well as the original but, which does have on the fly micro-adjust. Which is IMO needed for the balmy weather and my fluctuating wrist.

I keep forgetting how awkward swapping a bracelet can be🤦‍♀️ No scratched lugs but, a bit of stretched patience 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I found changing the bracelet on the Planet Ocean super easy, feel like a bit of a fool now that I paid my jeweler a tenner to get it from the rubber on the bracelet a few weeks ago 😒

Probably the exception though, never even tried putting any of my Rolex back on the bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have and love mine, but only for the display. Haven't bothered and will never bother to pair it for any smart use.

My Sinn U2's are easy enough as the have drilled lugs. My Omega, I always struggle with getting it both off and back on to the bracelet, even using spring bar tweezers I always struggle, going slowly from an abundance of caution, esp as I've just had it refinished.

• Advertisement

The better half and I are away on a little staycation. 4 days in an AirBnB on Achill Island. It's my 1st time here and I left it far too long to visit. I've reached the point where I'm breathtaken from seeing so many breathtaking vistas.

I often find myself in parts of Ireland that are stunning, I've rarely found myself anywhere with such an amazing concentration of absolutely beautiful scenery, from mountains to beaches and all in between.

The Mrs likes it so much that she's eyeballing property up here. We are staying in spot near Keel but over the past few days have been all over the island. The beaches, everyone knows Keem but Doogart, Trawmore & Dooega, all beautiful but all different too. I've heard the snorkelling up this way is brilliant and next time we venture up? I'll be taking my wetsuit. Which will mean plenty of my watches are getting at least close to their original purpose 😉

tell her relax. It’s beautiful in fine weather but the west is bleak for the 11 months winter of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Achill is lovely in fine weather but otherwise it’s a nightmare, I was there for a week just before that covid crap and the wind and rain for 3 days made it impossible to even leave

The internet isn’t for everyone

I'm with ye lads. I enjoy watching a storm or a bit of heavy weather from behind a triple glazed window with underfloor heating on high 😉🤣

I couldn't hack 11 months of it, and a 3hr drive from Limerick to a holiday home? Is a bit much, that puts most of Europe in reach from SNN in the same time.

Yeah, holiday homes are great, but when it's 4 hours from Dublin it's a bit much. Achill is spread out, it can be a long drive to a town for a restaurant etc. But the scenery is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

from a trusted, established & proven trader though.

• Advertisement

you have to pay a little extra for the detailed add and extensive photography.

Advertisement