Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Heading to Japan soonish, looking to take advantage of the weak Japanese yen and their amazing grey market. Can’t decide between a hesalite Speedmaster or a white Seamaster, I like them both for different reasons. 🥲 I have tried on Seamaster with the bracelet and rubber band. I think it fits well

I already own a black bay 58 and a moonswatch (pluto) Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

There is only one answer to this question and it’s buy both watches

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That's exactly what I was thinking. Get a vintage Omega Seamaster 165 or 166 for week under a grand and you have a brilliant collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There’s a more interesting price

The dream. I suppose the upside is since they are mass-produced, I could always aspire to the other watch down the road

I was also considering this instead of the seamaster

Post edited by ironictoaster on

• Advertisement

from past experience if you can't manage to get the watch you want then don't get an alternative, i found myself hating a watch doing this before and i have heard other people say the same, only last week a friend was moaning about a tudor he bought while saving for a rolex and he has buyers remorse

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

I happen to have a sapphire sandwich speedmaster and the white faced king samurai. I love the samurai but it's not a Seamaster nor was it ever meant to be.

If I was lucky enough to be in your position I'd try on both Omega's and pick my favourite. If the bank balance allowed I'd pick up another less expensive watch as a bonus. There are loads of Japanese Domestic Market watches that have limited distribution so you could pick up a niche Seiko or G Shock?

Either way you will be delighted with yourself on the flight home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Question guys - what would be the going rate for an original G-Shock? Bought in '84/'85.

Not your ornery onager

Or skip omega and go straight to Rolex .Surely some good deals on those as well.

Same myself , wanted a sub and couldn’t get one so bought a seamaster .By complete luck got the sub the same day the seamaster arrived in the mail , never bonded with it and moved it on since.The place filler is nothing but a waste of cash

• Advertisement

Indeed, I need to try on the Speedmaster and go from there. I am a sucker for a white dial. To be honest a few weeks after getting a black hay 58. I was eyeballing the omega watches. I already have my eye on some JDM models and Seiko collabs

I'd love a no-date sub on Nato strap (like Sean Connery in Dr. No). I doubt I would ever pay the over retail for it. I am happy with the BB58 (for now!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Liking the Seamaster myself IT. It's one of the few distinctive dive type watches out there imho. They didn't try to look like anything else, IE the Sub, and didn't. You'd know it a mile off as an Omega Seamaster. If you were a WatchNutter(t) anyway. 🙂 Never mind that Omega had the very first actual dive watch back in the 1930's and were among the heavy hitters when the whole sports diving thing kicked off in the late 50's. And like you said it does fit you well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

that white seamaster is lovely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Early G-Shocks have a following and depending on model and condition can be pricey enough. Though to be fair it's a while since I looked at that end of the vintage market.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Choice between a white seamaster and Speedie is harder than I thought. Initial thoughts were go with the Speedie, it's a classic but then I do think the Seamaster is a more versatile watch. I've given which one I'd prefer far too much though before the solution came to me...

A white Speedie 😉

I wanted this when it was released. However, the retail price for this is scandalous. Have yet to see this in ADs in Ireland or the UK so I'm not sure about the availability..

I work in a scientific field hence I think the Speedmaster is cool 😎.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have to say, I think the new longines ladies conquest range (34mm, automatic) look lovely

longines.com/conquest-2024/

watch dealer disappears with cash and consignments in Australia

The Consumer Advocate at the end asking for WatchesRUs to do the right thing…
    I'd hazard that as far Tillman and co are concerned? They've done exactly the right thing for themselves.
    It is interesting to see that the company started in 2019, when the Horology House fakes scandal was in the news there.
    Australia is big, but population-wise? It's small enough that every serious dealer knows of or about each other, and I can't help but wonder if there's any cross over there.

notice time piece gentleman mad the clip too, it will be interesting to see how his case goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I'm always left slightly bemused why ostensibly smart people deal with flimsey tinsel one dimensional grifter characters to sell their uber expensive watches on consignment.

Do they also donate to tv evangelicals and buy shares in bridges in far away places?

consignment to me is a lazy way to sell a watch and the seller is risking too much for a small % and the risk is insanely high with any dealer, but each to their own I guess

Post edited by OmegaGene on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭micks_address

i guess it can make sense, you get a retailer who has a pretty large social media presence, web site etc, and they list your watch and hopefully it sells quicker than you having to do the legwork and put up with private sale people.. probably similar to selling cars privately. I've often been tempted but always trade in because i can't be bothers dealing with the hassle. I sold a watch directly to pride and pinion few years ago and they gave me strong money for it. I think a few here have left watches with them on consignment but not sure how they ended up? I came across a Seamaster in mcneelys jewellers last year in belfast that was also on consignment. Was a good bit over priced though and even the lad in the shop said the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sold one watch on consignment with P&P, went ok in the end and got more than id have gotten myself but not sure id do it again!

i guess something like chrono24 gives you best of both worlds A large web site and you are protected by their escrow model. I suppose they could also potentially go burst with your money resting in their escrow account..

timepiece gentleman had a huge social media following with a shop and he’s now in prison, it’s a gamble I wouldn’t be willing to take personally, while everything looks rosey from the outside nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes

another two characters in America got broken into and all the consignments were taken and now it’s up to the insurance to pay out last I heard

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Flip a coin. You'll know what you want before it lands.

isnt it mandatory to by a Grand Seiko in japan?

Nah, if you're actually watching shopping Japan? Surely you're gonna bag a Creedor 😁

Joking aside, my Mrs has taken a notion that we do a south to north cherry blossom chasing trip in Japan in the next few years. I will be saving hard to buy great value watches & some JDM gaming bits, whilst also squeezing in the Osaka sumo tournament .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Re Japan, Honda Collection Hall Motegi is of course mecca.

Advertisement