Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm following all of the WatchExchange Explorer II's on Reddit as I'm half thinking of buying one, they have definitely dropped in the last month, they used to be 6700-7000 USD, there have been a few in the 5500-5700 range since corona

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is that the 40mm or 42mm Explorer 2 though? There could be a hefty difference between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Eoin wrote: »
    Is that the 40mm or 42mm Explorer 2 though? There could be a hefty difference between the 2.
    I haven't been keeping an eye on size tbh - I'm guessing 42mm is more expensive? I'd actually go for a 40mm

I haven't been keeping an eye on size tbh - I'm guessing 42mm is more expensive? I'd actually go for a 40mm

Yep, the 42mm one is the newer one. The reference is 216750 vs 16750 for the older one. Good comparison shot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Eoin wrote: »
    Yep, the 42mm one is the newer one. The reference is 216750 vs 16750 for the older one. Good comparison shot here.

A lot of poeple consider the explorer 2 in 42mm to be too big, and it wears big. The largest rolex bar the absolutely hideous Yachtmaster II. I would 100% want to try it on before buying at any price.

• Advertisement

A lot of poeple consider the explorer 2 in 42mm to be too big, and it wears big. The largest rolex bar the absolutely hideous Yachtmaster II. I would 100% want to try it on before buying at any price.

I tried one on along with a SubC and GMTc a couple years ago (when they were actually in shops), and yeah, it definitely wears big. Not sure how, but it looks like. lot more than 2mm difference in the photo I linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

IMHO, the 42mm explorer looks very large. Not being helped with the larger hands. Maybe I am old school but the original white is one of the best sports Rolexs out there and a total sleeper Rolex!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Watching Shaun the Sheep with the little fella and found myself trying to figure out what watch the dog is wearing. Wrist game is strong in the K9....

20200425-202512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Sparrowcar quality telly, there.

Love Ardman Studios, and Shaun the Sheep is great with the wee ones.
    It's always good when you can put something on that isn't a chore for the adults.

We have worn out Wallace and Grommit DVDs.
    I reckon the sheepdog has something hefty and reliable.
    I'd say Panerai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

And the dog loves techno :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement

And the dog loves techno :)

Always laugh when the farmer goes off in the van with some German hard house banging away :):)

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @Sparrowcar quality telly, there.

Love Ardman Studios, and Shaun the Sheep is great with the wee ones.
    It's always good when you can put something on that isn't a chore for the adults.

We have worn out Wallace and Grommit DVDs.
    I reckon the sheepdog has something hefty and reliable.
    I'd say Panerai.

Watch "Bluey" then.. the easiest watch for parents. Australian cartoon for kids but the poor dad can be related too and I'm in stitches watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I'd like to get the bracelet on my seamster 300m cleaned and polished etc. Maybe watch case to but that's actually in great shape. Are there any services in Ireland that would do ultra sonic cleaning and polish to a high standard?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Watchfix.ie is run by Chris who also owns iChrono, does this sort of thing in Dublin City Center. Dawson Jewellers also offer a polishing service. The bracelet on a Seamaster has two polished bits in the middle of each link so the entire thing needs disassembly, polishing and selective brushing. A time consuming thing to do, labour intensive. A lot of places just polish the watch without taking it apart which is a bit of a bodge job.

Watchfix.ie is run by Chris who also owns iChrono, does this sort of thing in Dublin City Center. Dawson Jewellers also offer a polishing service. The bracelet on a Seamaster has two polished bits in the middle of each link so the entire thing needs disassembly, polishing and selective brushing. A time consuming thing to do, labour intensive. A lot of places just polish the watch without taking it apart which is a bit of a bodge job.
    Thanks,
    Any experience with Chris? Id prefer to do local than post watch to UK etc
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Are they a watch retailer or makers behind Squale? I can imagine a lot more firms will be going into a wall unfortunately. The only "good" thing is that this recession/depression will affect all industries - so it won't just be airlines/law firms/watch companies/property developers etc. that need liquidity/help - but every business will need help - makes it more likely that massive governmental intervention will occur rather than the politicians considering if one particular business group is too big to fail or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Thanks,
    Any experience with Chris? Id prefer to do local than post watch to UK etc
    Cheers,
    Mick

I'd have no hesitation recommending him, he did a fantastic job polishing and servicing a watch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Are they a watch retailer or makers behind Squale? I can imagine a lot more firms will be going into a wall unfortunately. The only "good" thing is that this recession/depression will affect all industries - so it won't just be airlines/law firms/watch companies/property developers etc. that need liquidity/help - but every business will need help - makes it more likely that massive governmental intervention will occur rather than the politicians considering if one particular business group is too big to fail or not.

They're a dealer according to their website. slightly o/t but how are A&L faring?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You'll have to ask them I'm afraid ;) - and relating to my own firm I think we're told in general to be absolutely mum about anything firm-related (not that us peons are privy to any in-depth details anyway :P ). But just looking at what's happening all around us I think it's clear there'll be a significant impact on firms (law or otherwise) in Ireland - was it the government who said we're looking at a -8.3% growth in GDP this year? CBI actually:
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/central-bank-warns-severe-negative-shock-irish-economy-994108

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just watching Antiques roadshow and a lad has popped up with a pre-69 Speedmaster pro.

Battered and well used, a watch that has seen far better days.
    Appraised at £5000 and honestly, battered and all as it was, a lovely piece and some great knowledge from the expert as to the accent in tachymetér and the tritium batons.

That the owner picked it up at a carboot sale for a fiver has given me hope :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »
    Says the hulk owner :p

Ah but I didn’t pay a premium for my hulk :D

Again I know the hulk isn’t for everyone but for me the all black gmt is better than the blnr and the blro (because the red isn’t red it’s more of a pink )

Anyway I would say that as my gmt is the all black version (now discontinued so form an orderly queue :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

banie01 wrote: »
    That the owner picked it up at a carboot sale for a fiver has given me hope :pac:

Definitely still treasure out there waiting to be discovered :)

voMLdhV.jpg

Not £5000,but even still 9 months later I feel really lucky to have found it as there is plenty more deserving if it. Also incredible to have a slice of Heuer history for such a small price.

Love going to antique shops,car boot sales,flea markets etc. Even if i buy nothing, won't leave without seeing some interesting stuff and getting talking about our crazy obsessions:p.

s12y17U.jpg

The shop in Wicklow I got the stopwatch,even there before he opened:o Fantastic little place,so packed with stuff,to get in he has to clear out a path:)

Really nice guy,talking to him for ages about our various interests,also had a cool trunk with a load if airline stickers,to think of the places it went:cool:

tmHtlfv.jpg

Looking forward to things returning to normality to be able to continue the hunt:D

Always struck me as an odd choice for a diver, rubber or metal more fitting. A wet nato is a miserable thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

Always struck me as an odd choice for a diver, rubber or metal more fitting. A wet nato is a miserable thing.

But if a spring bar goes you won’t lose the watch! Plus long enough for a wetsuit adjustment quickly.

893bet wrote: »
    But if a spring bar goes you won’t lose the watch! Plus long enough for a wetsuit adjustment quickly.

Yeah I'm never gonna be diving with it... I know jeez the cheek..it's like buying a car without being able to drive

Yeah I'm never gonna be diving with it... I know jeez the cheek..it's like buying a car without being able to drive

Confession time - I never flew a plane when I had a pilot watch. nor worked with strong magnetic fields when I had a Milgauss.

893bet wrote: »

I agree. I got a couple of rubber Natos for that reason. They're great for the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I went in to the (Arabian) sea up to my neck 3 weeks ago wearing my seamaster 300m. Does that count?

Advertisement