Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

unkel wrote: »
    Yes. Does not exist in blue though. Would be my ideal watch. Rolex, are you reading this? :p

I will sell you a 10/10 datejust 41 in blue, fluted and jubilee no problem. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes. Does not exist in blue though. Would be my ideal watch. Rolex, are you reading this? :p

Course it does but maybe you are thinking of something else ?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=541140

Cyrus wrote: »

5450 RRP - 114300

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

KrustyBurger - thats a lovely watch, really nice dial and Longines are generally very good quality (some say the glued in crystal is a problem but its not). Its a good brand with long history, and genuinely Swiss made. Cons on that are that it is quartz. There is nothing wrong with quartz per say, but at that sort of price, a mechanical watch might be a better buy. There is something nicer with a mechanical watch, especially a mechanical chronograph.
    It's not your average quartz though. It's a rebirth of sorts of Longines Very High Precision quartz watches of the 80's and 90's. Very accurate quartz had their heyday in the 70's, but were A) mad money at the time so didn't sell well and B) it was discovered that most people didn't care about seconds per year, so long as a watch was reasonably accurate. It's one of the most accurate quartz' out there that don't sync to a radio signal(IIRC under 5 seconds per year accuracy). The original VHP wasn't cheap, but it sold well enough to keep going for over twenty years.

The current one has got interesting features like a shock detector that re calibrates the hands should the shock be a large one. It also senses magnetic fields and if they get too high it stops the hands to prevent damage. It's even got a "sleep mode" to preserve the battery(which runs for 4-5 years anyway). So it's a very nice bit of horological engineering. Plus the other handy bit about a quartz are the far less expensive maintenance costs down the line. Folks new to the watch game can forget about that at purchase time. The only thing I'd be a bit wary of is the water resistance of 50 metres, though unless you're a skin diver you're grand. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's not your average quartz though. It's a rebirth of sorts of Longines Very High Precision quartz watches of the 80's and 90's. Very accurate quartz had their heyday in the 70's, but were A) mad money at the time so didn't sell well and B) it was discovered that most people didn't care about seconds per year, so long as a watch was reasonably accurate. It's one of the most accurate quartz' out there that don't sync to a radio signal(IIRC under 5 seconds per year accuracy). The original VHP wasn't cheap, but it sold well enough to keep going for over twenty years.

The current one has got interesting features like a shock detector that re calibrates the hands should the shock be a large one. It also senses magnetic fields and if they get too high it stops the hands to prevent damage. It's even got a "sleep mode" to preserve the battery(which runs for 4-5 years anyway). So it's a very nice bit of horological engineering. Plus the other handy bit about a quartz are the far less expensive maintenance costs down the line. Folks new to the watch game can forget about that at purchase time. The only thing I'd be a bit wary of is the water resistance of 50 metres, though unless you're a skin diver you're grand. :D

Indeed excellent quartz...but like, is accuracy why you wear a wristwatch? I know its kind cool, and it looks great. But with this sort of budget I would baulk at a quartz unless it was an ultrathin watch or ladies. Does this chap have may other watches? Jesus your almost into speedmast reduced teritory on the second hand market here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

df25e26bf48cb1edad68f0113c5dea68.jpg

Far too classic / formal for me. I need those arabic numerals, they transform the watch into something younger, more funky, sporty, less formal:

1156176f9b72353d5c76502243d30aa1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

df25e26bf48cb1edad68f0113c5dea68.jpg

Far too classic / formal for me. I need those arabic numerals, they transform the watch into something younger, more funky, sporty, less formal:

1156176f9b72353d5c76502243d30aa1.jpg

Unkel

Level with me

How young and funky are you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Indeed excellent quartz...but like, is accuracy why you wear a wristwatch? I know its kind cool, and it looks great. But with this sort of budget I would baulk at a quartz unless it was an ultrathin watch or ladies. Does this chap have may other watches? Jesus your almost into speedmast reduced teritory on the second hand market here.

I have 3 other watches, well two since I gave the Tissot to my son. A G-shock and a Seiko Kinetic.

I don't see myself becoming a collector tbh although looking at some of the examples in this thread you'd be forgiven for entering collector territory. Quick question..if I buy this from outside Ireland presumably there'd be added tax when I import it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Buy it from the EU and you'll not have to worry about added tax.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed excellent quartz...but like, is accuracy why you wear a wristwatch? I know its kind cool, and it looks great. But with this sort of budget I would baulk at a quartz unless it was an ultrathin watch or ladies.
    To be fair it very much depends on what type of watch person someone is too FG. There are a few. Outside of the guys spending bazillions at auction on one off Pateks made from the finest unobtanium, you'd have the "I have one nice watch guy" versus the collector guy. Within the latter you'd have all sorts of people. The Rolex/Omega/PP chaps, the mechanical watches under a 1000 quid guys, the guys into the fashion aspect of watches, the vintage guys(a whole other ballgame). Then you'd have factors like the high accuracy guys, the status guys, the history guys, the fashion guys. All mixed into a jumble and likely not with much overlap either.

So me being of the vintage interesting history, rare to downright wacky, with little care about values, perceived or not type, my collecting and advice on collecting would be too specific. I would certainly be of little use to someone who wanted a few classic/iconic Rolexes for example and they'd be of little use to me. I mean if I were offered for free either a 70's Omega Marine Chronomter or any Patek in the range, I'd be off down the road at speed with the 70's housebrick attached to my arm in double quick time. Others would mark me mad, but... :D

So yeah I think of the person involved and what they want and are comfortable with.

Funny enough on accuracy I'm more anal about it in electronic watches rather than mechanical. If a mechanical is under 30 seconds a day I'm grand with that so long as it's consistent*. A quartz out by that a month and I'd grabbing the caseback tool and fiddling. :D

*my most consistently accurate mechanical is from 1916. On me anyway. If I wear and wind it daily, leave it face up at night, I'd only have to adjust the time come winter/summer time changeovers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unkel

Level with me

How young and funky are you :D

Young and funky enough not to want to wear the watch for an 80 year old man :pac:

I have 3 other watches, well two since I gave the Tissot to my son. A G-shock and a Seiko Kinetic.

I don't see myself becoming a collector tbh although looking at some of the examples in this thread you'd be forgiven for entering collector territory.

Sounds like you are making a major move upwards in quality here just going to throw in a few options. Like wibbs says it depends on what your into, but you have a few watches and the move to mechanical is often a real revelation, there is something special about having 200 tiny moving parts all whizzing about and keeping reasonable time on your arm.

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/omega-speedmaster-auto-date/20234968

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/breitling/18106268

https://www.adverts.ie/dress/tag-heuer-carrera-cv2010-41mm-caliber-16/19883279

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If it's a style you like, get the Longines. Along with Wibbs post, being able to just put it on without having to check it every morning is handy. I have 2 quartz watches and always end up grabbing one if I'm in a rush in the morning.
    Style wise, everyone likes their own thing, so you're on your own there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I have what looks like water spots on the Crystal of my aqua Terra. Towards the center at two clock is the main one. I tried cleaning with iso propl alcohol today and a cotton bud but didn't shift..could they be spots on inside? I don't want to use anything that might damage the AR coating on the outside of the shaphire.

Any suggestions on how to remove?

Cheers,
    Mick

IMG-20200504-145433.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Does the crystal have AR coating on the outside? It may be that the outside AR coating got dissolved/removed by something?

Had a search:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=aquaterra+ar+coating+double+sided

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/diwdr4/omega_aqua_terra_normal_for_ar_coating_to_wear/

It does have double coating (inside and outside) but this might not be an AR coating issue - would need to have a closer look I think. Does it look like to you that AR has been removed?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Does the crystal have AR coating on the outside? It may be that the outside AR coating got dissolved/removed by something?

Had a search:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=aquaterra+ar+coating+double+sided

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/diwdr4/omega_aqua_terra_normal_for_ar_coating_to_wear/

It does have double coating (inside and outside) but this might not be an AR coating issue - would need to have a closer look I think. Does it look like to you that AR has been removed?

Ar looks ok I think but I'm not sure. Don't know where I'd get a professional to look at it. The watch is probably due a service. It's a 2015 model

Ar looks ok I think but I'm not sure. Don't know where I'd get a professional to look at it. The watch is probably due a service. It's a 2015 model

If you send it on to a service they'd probably just replace the crystal I think.

If you rub your hand on over the patches does it feel like a dip or a bump (as in extra material or material taken away) or impossible to tell?

I would say it's the AR coating. That's exactly what it usually looks like. I don't know why anyone puts AR on the outside, it's idiotic.

If you send it on to a service they'd probably just replace the crystal I think.

If you rub your hand on over the patches does it feel like a dip or a bump (as in extra material or material taken away) or impossible to tell?

Feels smooth to be honest. Can ar coatings be repaired?

I would say it's the AR coating. That's exactly what it usually looks like. I don't know why anyone puts AR on the outside, it's idiotic.

Extra coatings can lead to better AR effectiveness I think (not just on the underside) - having said that for the Starlight I definitely just wanted the underside coated since I imagine not everyone will be careful with the surface (since the whole point of sapphire on top is so you can be less careful compared to mineral glass)...
    Feels smooth to be honest. Can ar coatings be repaired?

Definitely they can be repaired - not sure what the economical way to go about it would be though - could be a process of removing all the AR coating and reapplying it rather than spot repair. I'm sorry but I wouldn't know of anyone who offers AR coating repair.

...One other alternative is to completely remove the top AR coating - since you'll still have the AR coating underneath - will lose some AR effectiveness but it won't be as visible/obvious as a spot of AR missing.

• Advertisement

mick has it appeared since you got it? If so and its the inside its a sign of mositure under the glass, and that a sign of water in the mechanism, I would send it to service to avoid it making mayonaise in the movement and getting ****ed....let it wind down and put it away. I had this happen with a speedmaster reduced. Never pushed the buttons under water your honour :p

Extra coatings can lead to better AR effectiveness I think (not just on the underside) - having said that for the Starlight I definitely just wanted the underside coated since I imagine not everyone will be careful with the surface (since the whole point of sapphire on top is so you can be less careful compared to mineral glass)...

Definitely they can be repaired - not sure what the economical way to go about it would be though - could be a process of removing all the AR coating and reapplying it rather than spot repair. I'm sorry but I wouldn't know of anyone who offers AR coating repair.

...One other alternative is to completely remove the top AR coating - since you'll still have the AR coating underneath - will lose some AR effectiveness but it won't be as visible/obvious as a spot of AR missing.

Is there a safe way to remove the AR coating without scratching the crystal?

mick has it appeared since you got it? If so and its the inside its a sign of mositure under the glass, and that a sign of water in the mechanism, I would send it to service to avoid it making mayonaise in the movement and getting ****ed....let it wind down and put it away. I had this happen with a speedmaster reduced. Never pushed the buttons under water your honour :p

I think it's been on it since I got it to be honest. I don't think its moisture. I'd read could be after shave drops damage it but wouldn't be from me either. I've never had it in the water.

Is there a safe way to remove the AR coating without scratching the crystal?

Never had personal experience with this so quite loathe to suggest anything (or even if it is the AR coating that is the issue) - think getting it looked at by a professional first is the main thing (after lockdown at least).

Google-fu found this result from removing AR from Omegas:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/remove-ar-coating-from-po.75088/

But just as I wouldn't take legal advice from a lawyer online - I'd be concerned about advice on expensive watches from online sources (especially diamond paste...diamonds are one of the only things that do scratch sapphire after all).

I think it's been on it since I got it to be honest. I don't think its moisture. I'd read could be after shave drops damage it but wouldn't be from me either. I've never had it in the water.

Well its off to Omega anyway...still under warranty?

Well its off to Omega anyway...still under warranty?

Wouldn't be..it's a 2015 watch. Probably due a service at this stage.. I wonder are omega taking watches for service via DHL? Would normally be via weirs I think

Picture from when I got the watch

Screenshot-20200504-184251.png

Doesn't look like it had the spots

Today

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200504192036849-COVER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

It most likely does not need a service (despite what omega recommend). How is the time keeping?

Do you really want to pump in 700 quid on a service and new crystal on a watch you ain’t even sure you want anymore?

I don’t think it looks like moisture.

893bet wrote: »
    It most likely does not need a service (despite what omega recommend). How is the time keeping?

Do you really want to pump in 700 quid on a service and new crystal on a watch you ain’t even sure you want anymore?

I don’t think it looks like moisture.

Time keeping is perfect. This one's a keeper. No panic in fixing. Just figuring out options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Question for birth year watch buyers. Did you get something that you're happy with the size of? Obviously watch sizes are bigger now. Choose from below:

1. I'm happy with a smaller size watch as it reflects the style at the time
    2. I found something I like that was reasonably sized
    3. I bought a watch almost purely based on size
    4. "Birth year watch"? You sad loser

Advertisement