Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

1. Yes happy with the size. I picked up a 1969 Accutron dress watch, I guess it 37 mm or so. The tuning fork were probably larger than a typical manual wind of the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »

1. I'm happy with a smaller size watch as it reflects the style at the time
    This, cos I've vintage sized wrists, from a time when men were men and undernourished. :D

Though if you were born after circa 1960 there would be a fair few "modern" enough sizes about the place. If you were born in say the 1920's; A) kudos and what's your secret? and B) you're kinda screwed in size choice.
    4. "Birth year watch"? You sad loser
    In fairness CC, we're watch guys so we're in that category outa the gate. The only thing we're arguing, or in denial about is the degree of how sad we are. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

MsThirdfox is looking at a lovely 1989 Cartier at this very moment actually...

And nothing wrong with wearing small (for today's standards) watches - Muhammed Ali was a big fan of his must de Cartier:

http://people.timezone.com/jessica/2015/GOAT-Muhammad-Ali-1975.jpg

Doubt anyone would say he's not manly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    This, cos I've vintage sized wrists, from a time when men were men and undernourished. :D

Though if you were born after circa 1960 there would be a fair few "modern" enough sizes about the place. If you were born in say the 1920's; A) kudos and what's your secret? and B) you're kinda screwed in size choice.

In fairness CC, we're watch guys so we're in that category outa the gate. The only thing we're arguing, or in denial about is the degree of how sad we are. :D
    There's small and there's a 5 cent coin strapped to your wrist!
    njburke wrote: »
    1. Yes happy with the size. I picked up a 1969 Accutron dress watch, I guess it 37 mm or so. The tuning fork were probably larger than a typical manual wind of the time.

Yeah, looking at accutrons. I'll find something, I suppose searching is half the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I really need to get around to either sending the Accutron I have to be repaired or just get rid of it.

I never got around to sending it back to the guy I got it from which I now regret.

I'm not sure I'll be able to live with the humming noise now that I've experienced it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I've been a subscriber to his videos for some time (very informative) - but if anyone wonders why an independent watchmaker charges 200-300 euro for a proper tear down service:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W1L9r_H4b4

Now not every watch has a GMT complication - but even without that you can see how long it takes to get through the watch and process it correctly. A good example however of the previous watchmaker leaving behind pretty shoddy work too. So if you find a good independent servicer their time is definitely worth it for your Swiss pieces at the very least.

edit: just to say that I found that particular video really soothing to watch (at least at 1:30am in the morning) - a beautiful disassembly and reassembly of well machined pieces.

I've watched a few of his videos now. Cool to see watches being stripped and rebuilt, would be great to have that ability.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shutup, you were warned and you had to start all over again. Take a week off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Slightly off topic, but has anyone else experienced really slow post trans-Atlantic? I've been waiting 5 weeks for a small package to arrive from US. Beginning to wonder should I make a claim on the insurance? It was sent through USPS on 25/3.

As to birth year watches I have a conception month tractor!:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone else experienced really slow post trans-Atlantic? I've been waiting 5 weeks for a small package to arrive from US. Beginning to wonder should I make a claim on the insurance? It was sent through USPS on 25/3.

I had a month long wait for a package from France that arrived yesterday. I suspect it's because a lot of post comes by air on passenger planes and since there are far fewer of them with this pandemic maybe they build up the volume of post for a country until it's enough to send on whatever planes are flying?

What does the tracking say?
    Not trans atlantic, but I got something from Japan a week ago and it arrived in 2 days. I was shocked at how fast it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have packages coming from China (low value, so no customs issue) that have been in Ireland since 13/04. Problem is in this country.

unkel wrote: »
    I have packages coming from China (low value, so no customs issue) that have been in Ireland since 13/04. Problem is in this country.
    I suspect they're actually not in Ireland. What again I suspect is that they're handed off/signed out of the US/Europe/China and "leave" their customs zone legally, but are in fact still sitting in the country of origin.

Cienciano wrote: »
    What does the tracking say?
    Not trans atlantic, but I got something from Japan a week ago and it arrived in 2 days. I was shocked at how fast it was!

Person who sent it was told tracking wasn't available to Ireland so I'm a bit suspicious TBH. It wasn't sent priority airmail though, that might be the reason no tracking was available.

I agree everything is slow, Parcelmotel from Wales took 10 days for an ebay purchase. USPS might be doing what the Russian post office does with airmail, get a shipping container, wait for it to fill and then send it by sea!

If anyone is thinking about posting a watch outside Ireland, I'd hold off until this pandemic is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have stuff TA that is sitting in NJ in a despatch queue.
    I have stuff inbound from China, HK and SEA that has dispatch via airline scans on dates between the 19/3 and the 21/04 that is all floating around somewhere awaiting its destination scan.
    Only 1 watch but I'm jonesing for it now :pac:

Apologies to FG too, I had inadvertently clicked like on a rather insulting post by Shutup.
    it was a mistake on my part, no support or even acknowledgement of his fairly poor effort was intended.
    I have removed it, and I am sorry ;)

Person who sent it was told tracking wasn't available to Ireland so I'm a bit suspicious TBH. It wasn't sent priority airmail though, that might be the reason no tracking was available.

I agree everything is slow, Parcelmotel from Wales took 10 days for an ebay purchase. USPS might be doing what the Russian post office does with airmail, get a shipping container, wait for it to fill and then send it by sea!

If anyone is thinking about posting a watch outside Ireland, I'd hold off until this pandemic is over.

The problem is definitely not just in Ireland - my quarantine hobby (mechanical keyboards) had some keycaps waiting in Chicago sorting office for 1 month before getting to O'Hare airport.

I think if people want to send things - right now it's better to use DHL etc. Will be sending out Sólás samples via courier rather than post anyway.

Thirdfox wrote: »

I think if people want to send things - right now it's better to use DHL etc. Will be sending out Sólás samples via courier rather than post anyway.

Yeah, my 2 day from Japan was DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wibbs wrote: »
    I suspect they're actually not in Ireland. What again I suspect is that they're handed off/signed out of the US/Europe/China and "leave" their customs zone legally, but are in fact still sitting in the country of origin.

It's possible. And of course everything has changed now. But in the past, once the Chinese tracking said the item was in the country of destination, I would usually have it within a few days (if no customs involved)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I do a lot of shipping in my work of multiple small parcels. What I notice is the carriers are like lightening, but things are held in warehouses and sorting. Really adding days at each border.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, postage is very slow across the board. For e.g. I just traded a watch with someone in the UK 3 days ago. An Post got my one to the UK already, the one I am getting has still not left the UK. Unusual for An Post to be quicker than Royal Mail.

I just got some stuff couriered from Singapore with DHL and it arrived within 5 days. Also have stuff coming from China by air mail, so will just enjoy the surprise when that gets here next year, I think.

There's been one thing from China (calipers so watch related!) that I've been waiting for 4 months now - your next year assessment might not be far off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

A G-Shock I ordered April 30th from Germany arrived today, pretty happy with that delivery time.

I also ordered something car-related last week from USA. Received notification that it shipped Monday, will be interesting to see how long that takes to get here.

Had to shell out €35 to DHL this week for straps I ordered a few months ago from Crown & Buckle. €15 of that was their handling charge.

eljono wrote: »
    A G-Shock I ordered April 30th from Germany arrived today, pretty happy with that delivery time.

I also ordered something car-related last week from USA. Received notification that it shipped Monday, will be interesting to see how long that takes to get here.

Had to shell out €35 to DHL this week for straps I ordered a few months ago from Crown & Buckle. €15 of that was their handling charge.

Photos of the G-Shock please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I bought a Seiko from Australia and the seller mailed it the 31st March, it's been sitting in Sydney since the 5th April. Noticed a lot of sellers across the forums really cutting back on international shipping now. Too many watches sitting in postal warehouses now, make sure to always add insurance just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

DHL'd documents from the Middle East to London to be signed last month, they were over and back in 16 days door to door. Can't argue with that in this climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Haven't watched a watch review in ages but checked out Just One More Watch last night and saw his review of the Seiko SNZH57. About a year ago it was $130 USD but the prices at the moment seem to be a fair chunk higher. Has it been discontinued?

I'd seen the watch previously but his review has made me really want it now.

HDMI wrote: »
    I bought a Seiko from Australia and the seller mailed it the 31st March, it's been sitting in Sydney since the 5th April. Noticed a lot of sellers across the forums really cutting back on international shipping now. Too many watches sitting in postal warehouses now, make sure to always add insurance just in case.

AFAIK USA has stopped taking in all parcel post from Europe, so I presume post from Australia gets the same treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

AFAIK USA has stopped taking in all parcel post from Europe, so I presume post from Australia gets the same treatment.

Australia Post stopped shipping economy post the 3rd April, mine was posted the 31st March but got stuck in Sydney the 5th. The say they don't have enough airline space to clear everything.

I filed a missing package with the US postal service and got a phone call from them saying that they believe its in a container in Sydney waiting on the Aussie post to ship it.

The guy I bought it from went to his post office and was told that it has cleared Sydney which means it's in the US, most likely in a container in New York.

Who knows who to believe, I reckon it will just turn up when I least expect it.

Advertisement