Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So I have a couple of spare/broken movements that I've been trying to hone my DIY skills on.
    Turns out that retinopathy is not conducive to any level of fine detail work with just my normal glasses.
    Will likely buy a helping hand and LED-lit magnifier in the next few weeks and hope that alleviates my pesky eyes somewhat.

Skills that I have improved in the interim, lume application :) On sword and plain style hands at least.
    Went from using a brush (terrible), to an oiler (a bit better), to a fluid dynamics dispenser tip(better again).
    To finally experimenting with a fine flathead screwdriver, surprisingly gave me much better control over the spread and depth of the bubble of lume than any of the other options I'd tried.

The other methods, no matter what I tried always gave me a line, dimple or smudge that would appear even worse when emitting.
    The screwdriver... well flat is flat I suppose!

Uncasing the movement, even managed not to feck up the keyless :P
    Re-casing it, well that will depend on whether I can get the date wheel back on after it popped off :pac:

I plan to use my spare gubbins to put together a watch, now it won't be a "serviced" watch as that is far beyond me as yet.
    But I have what I think is an ETA 2836 that could do decent service in a new case, so after I hand in my last essay(Which I'm currently writing now ;) ) That will be my summer project.
    Dependent upon reseating the bloody date wheel of course :D

Any tips would be much appreciated, and @Wibbs, the patience and sheer skill in re-luming will never be wasted upon me again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Get a cheap set of surgical loupes on ebay. They are not the worlds best optics and the pupilary distance is not set right for everyone, but they are comfortable to wear, you can look over them, and you can get them in a range of magnifications. Once you get used to working with them, your accuracy improves a lot and your posture. Some come with a headlight which is very handy as it moves with your head, and you cannot cast a shadow on it.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-5X-3-5X-Binocular-Dental-Loupes-5W-3W-LED-Head-Light-Medical-Surgical-Glasses/273867909804?hash=item3fc3ccaaac:m:m69npNhknkyBpX4OxXahPng

Side note, anyone see McGreggor and Weirs Patek special edition
    https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/08/conor-mcgregor-cops-ultra-rare-watch-the-hulk/?fbclid=IwAR2pXdJ4TdLX1VkLF-Z3n89QmjwbPd6sJE3QwBBfO5wkG5b4oZtPhl5jplQ

830fd5f8bb564852a3a8131e29293ec7_md.jpg

Get a cheap set of surgical loupes on ebay. They are not the worlds best optics and the pupilary distance is not set right for everyone, but they are comfortable to wear, you can look over them, and you can get them in a range of magnifications. Once you get used to working with them, your accuracy improves a lot and your posture. Some come with a headlight which is very handy as it moves with your head, and you cannot cast a shadow on it.

Thanks FG, very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-5X-3-5X-Binocular-Dental-Loupes-5W-3W-LED-Head-Light-Medical-Surgical-Glasses/273867909804?hash=item3fc3ccaaac:m:m69npNhknkyBpX4OxXahPng

Side note, anyone see McGreggor and Weirs Patek special edition
    https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/08/conor-mcgregor-cops-ultra-rare-watch-the-hulk/?fbclid=IwAR2pXdJ4TdLX1VkLF-Z3n89QmjwbPd6sJE3QwBBfO5wkG5b4oZtPhl5jplQ

830fd5f8bb564852a3a8131e29293ec7_md.jpg

Seen that.

I have decided not to get one so. Done like the association.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gorgeous watch in fairness. And a bit of a steal at just GBP80k

NINTCHDBPICT000581930899.jpg?w=1005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

I think is horrible personally. Especially the strap.

Far too “Irish”. Some times less is more and in this occasion the really missed it IMO.

893bet wrote: »

Far too “Irish”. Some times less is more and in this occasion the really missed it IMO.

Honestly one of those things that would put paddy off a watch but will sell well to the Oirish IMO.

I'd much rather a Sólás ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    So im after a moon watch that isn't an Omega or Bulova or homage.. seen a few interesting quartz seikos and looking at some raf Seiko gen 2 quartz. Seem to have a hankering for a chronograph and or fleiger.
    Any suggestions in the sub 500 euro mark to scratch the itch? I had the Bulova and sold. Probably too hasty as it's a solid watch.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, the green is way to bright. A deeper darker green would look way better. Looks like a novelty watch he got in carrolls of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

They needed the Celtic music too! ;)

On WuS - you'll see some comments on how they loved the background music :p
    Hi folks,
    So im after a moon watch that isn't an Omega or Bulova or homage.. seen a few interesting quartz seikos and looking at some raf Seiko gen 2 quartz. Seem to have a hankering for a chronograph and or fleiger.
    Any suggestions in the sub 500 euro mark to scratch the itch? I had the Bulova and sold. Probably too hasty as it's a solid watch.
    Cheers,
    Mick

What would you consider a moonwatch? One that's been on the surface of the moon? Or one that's been in space? You might want to have a look at Raketa/Poljots chronos - I think they have a model that was the USSR's Omega Speedmaster in terms of space.

Poljot Strela - https://wornandwound.com/watches-in-space-alexey-leonov/

Not unlike a 1963 chrono in terms of design actually!

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    They needed the Celtic music too! ;)

On WuS - you'll see some comments on how they loved the background music :p

What would you consider a moonwatch? One that's been on the surface of the moon? Or one that's been in space? You might want to have a look at Raketa/Poljots chronos - I think they have a model that was the USSR's Omega Speedmaster in terms of space.

Poljot Strela - https://wornandwound.com/watches-in-space-alexey-leonov/

Not unlike a 1963 chrono in terms of design actually!

I'm not that fussy...let's say moonwatch looking

Alpha 1957? Or one of the Bulova hybrid quartz ones?

banie01 wrote: »
    Alpha 1957? Or one of the Bulova hybrid quartz ones?

The alpha is probably to homage for me

That would be an Homage so....try the Alph M1957

edit you beat me to it, You looking for a black faced white hands chrono?

Ah - speedmaster homage as it were right?

So here's a good list as well as a massive WUS thread (I see you've had the Bulova already):

https://theupgreater.com/best-budget-omega-speedmaster-alternatives-moonwatch-homage/

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/best-speedmaster-homage-181042.html

Seems like the Alpha speedmaster is around $60?

That would be an Homage so....try the Alph M1957

edit you beat me to it, You looking for a black faced white hands chrono?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭This is it

So similar to Mick, something I never really thought of, would there be any suggestions for a watch similar to the Tag Carrera below? Would like a blue/navy dial so the dial colour from the second link on the face of the first link, if that makes sense?

https://www.fields.ie/tag-heuer-carrera-automatic-men-s-black-dial-stainless-steel-bracelet-watch

https://www.fields.ie/tag-heuer-carrera-blue-chronograph-41mm-men-s-watch

Really, this watch but a men's version :D

https://www.fields.ie/tag-heuer-carrera-blue-dial-steel-28mm-ladies-watch

Edit, budget would only be about €200-300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Yes

Another possible option - Dan Henry 1972

Dan_Henry_1972_Chrono_Alarm_Silver.png?v=1562352227

Talk to unkle about the Tag he is selling, it will be a fruitful chat.

• Advertisement

Just been over on the Alpha-watch.com website and a couple of their 3 register chronos have caught my eye.
    Their Pandas in particular, at $170 new they seem a great way to scratch a speedy itch.

How come I never see Rado watches here? I'm guessing it's that they don't have a history of mechanical movements but they do seem to be quite innovative in terms of style and materials and I would have thought, for the collectors out there, that some models might be good investments.

Speaking of Irish watchmakers (actual watch maker):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYwBeiGy_RQ
    McGonigle's

Now I'm not saying that Sólás no.3 will be a minute repeater...but... :eek:

...(it probably won't - would love to make an accessible minute repeater for those who want one however). The name is even ready - the Sólás Moonlight (Sonata) :o - one has to aim high!

You heard it first here folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

McGonigle's

Jeez when he brought one of his tourbillions to a watch meet he wouldn't even let us get a wrist shot, didn't want the leather creased before it went to it's new owner. And there he is letting that guy take one apart before the customer gets it. :rolleyes:

Have to admit it looked a little scary when it was taking two of them and a mallet to take the bezel off :eek:

HDMI wrote: »
    Jeez when he brought one of his tourbillions to a watch meet he wouldn't even let us get a wrist shot, didn't want the leather creased before it went to it's new owner. And there he is letting that guy take one apart before the customer gets it. :rolleyes:

Have to admit it looked a little scary when it was taking two of them and a mallet to take the bezel off :eek:

Well to be fair to Mr McGonigle - the watchmaker there definitely didn't crease any leather :D

He was at a watch meet? That sounds pretty cool - we should try and organise something after the quarantine is over :)

Mallet to a watch looks fun - especially if it's a (I'm guessing) something like a 60,000/100,000 euro watch?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

McGonigle's

Now I'm not saying that Sólás no.3 will be a minute repeater...but... :eek:

...(it probably won't - would love to make an accessible minute repeater for those who want one however). The name is even ready - the Sólás Moonlight (Sonata) :o - one has to aim high!

You heard it first here folks :D

All I can say is I'm glad Mr. Seiko makes watches for the great unwashed:D Fascinating video though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Mallet to a watch looks fun - especially if it's a (I'm guessing) something like a 60,000/100,000 euro watch?

The video and commentary are wonderful.

Had to go and check the price, €200k OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The minute repeater. A €150k party trick :pac:
    Ok, I can appreciate the workmanship and engineering that goes into it.

I've made what I hope will be a good decision.

I'm going to use this impending downturn to try and lay my hands on a watch that I didn't know existed until earlier in this thread.

But!

That given a convergence of interests in Aviation, Kelly Johnson, Lockheed and the skunk works, with my weird GMT obsession...

A Bulova Accutron Astronaut GMT with coffin link has been added to all my alerts.

I will have to clear out 1 watch if I ever get hold of one that I can afford ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

"What you selling?", asked the vultures :pac:

Advertisement