Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cienciano wrote: »
    Just don't tell her the price. Tell her it's broken so you got it for €80

In her defence, she has taken it far better than I thought.
    Granted I softened the blow by telling her I'd cancelled a drone and some other bits I had on pre-order so I survived this one anyway.

The collection has grown a lot since I found this corner of boards, but my poor bank balance isn't thanking me that's for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm more a lurker than a poster, but what websites other than Chrono24 are a good resource for buying watches? Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This lad has missed the blnr boat

https://www.adverts.ie/20380380

About 3k over basis tz uk prices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    This lad has missed the blnr boat

https://www.adverts.ie/20380380

About 3k over basis tz uk prices

Yup there are a few around dreaming. See the below.

https://www.adverts.ie/20114958

Seller is a total cock also. He also seems to think his watch is “new”.

Most bought at retail I assume so no real fear of a “loss”, rather they just didn’t take their profit then they should have. If they were stupid to buy at a 80% premium well then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

893bet wrote: »
    Y

Most bought at retail I assume so no real fear of a “loss”, rather they just didn’t take their profit . .....

Only a fool would buy Rolex over retail alright :D . The BNLR is a lovely watch so always in demand but prices have softened a lot. I can sorta understand that people that thought they were sitting on big profit get cross when reality is pointed out, nobody like to have missed the boat.

Could be worse....Dreaming taken to a new level here

https://www.adverts.ie/dress/tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-1887-automatic-chronograph-41mm/7337454

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Were there really more than a handful Batman sold for €13k, Hulk for €15k worldwide? Or was it more some sort of hype that created itself?

unkel wrote: »
    Were there really more than a handful Batman sold for €13k, Hulk for €15k worldwide? Or was it more some sort of hype that created itself?

It’s difficult to know. Dealers are slippery sometimes. Mark a watch sold. Relist the same watch. Mark it sold, who knows.

I know plenty blnr/ hulks sold for 12-14k on TZ.

If watchfinder ever had a straight sale of 17k one? Probably. Remember there are plenty of people in london who make high 5 figures bonuses alone a year. I suspect a lot were sold so “Trade in” to make the buyer feel a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Chaps, what's you opinion of HELM watches? I was looking at Just One More Watch the other night and it got me thinking about them. The KHURABURI looks very appealing:

https://helmwatches.com/khuraburi1.html

Large case
    Solid Seiko movement
    Sapphire crystal
    Gorgeous lume
    ISO certified
    A meaty 225g on the bracelet

513341.jpg

Chaps, what's you opinion of HELM watches? I was looking at Just One More Watch the other night and it got me thinking about them. The KHURABURI looks very appealing:

Large case
    Solid Seiko movement
    Sapphire crystal
    Gorgeous lume
    ISO certified

Thats certainly a beefy unit!
    Great specs and a fantastic bang for the buck...
    I'd certainly give one a spin if I was in the market for another diver tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Chaps, what's you opinion of HELM watches?

Just took a quick glance at it and I immediately thought of Stonehenge. The blocks for the indecies and the 16mm thickness very much suits this watch.

Wouldn't get this under the shirt sleeve :cool:

• Advertisement

oxocube wrote: »
    Just took a quick glance at it and I immediately thought of Stonehenge. The blocks for the indecies and the 16mm thickness very much suits this watch.

Wouldn't get this under the shirt sleeve :cool:

Oh it's very rare I wear a shirt these days so not a problem thankfully. I do quite like the heft of it I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Large case
    Solid Seiko movement
    Sapphire crystal
    Gorgeous lume
    ISO certified
    My thoughts are: you're an asshole because its another watch I want. Check out the date position on the Komodo

Cienciano wrote: »
    My thoughts are: you're an asshole because its another watch I want. Check out the date position on the Komodo

You're probably not wrong in that assertion. I initially thought about the Komodo as like you I really like the date position and the white face so I'm kinda in two minds. I'm sure I'd be delighted with either really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HSS4V9X/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1WKWI59RN915E&psc=1

Mix of good reviews and bad. I presume the old saying, too good to be true counts here. Is there any guarantee from Amazon or best avoided? After seeing that one go on Adverts for €850 I'm doing my best to try get one for under €1k

Funky watch! If you buy from Amazon USA it is almost certain you will be stung for VAT and admin charges though, which will add close enough to €170 to the cost, bringing it to about €800

Amazon customer service is second to none. If anything goes wrong, you can send it back (free of charge) and you will get a full refund. Little bit tricky if it came from the USA, but if you are persistent it can be done.

Edit - the score for that Amazon reseller is pretty poor with several people claiming they sell fakes and the price of USD680 is hundreds below the cheapest on Chrono24 which is about €1000. Possibly too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah with customs it's be about €800 but I don't know if it's worth the risk/hassle. Cheapest on Chrono24 seems to be about €1100 but obviously far safer.

I'm in no rush considering I've spent over a grand in the last few weeks on watches but if I see a good deal I'll snap it up and work out the finances later :D

This is it wrote: »
    if I see a good deal I'll snap it up

That's the only way to get a good deal :D

Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Im in bother , ive been on the lookout for a nice white face watch, and i cant unsee the stowa someone mentioned a while ago here. I thought they were much more expensive. €740 for the Marine Classic 40 arabic seems great value.

aidankkk wrote: »
    Im in bother , ive been on the lookout for a nice white face watch, and i cant unsee the stowa someone mentioned a while ago here. I thought they were much more expensive. €740 for the Marine Classic 40 arabic seems great value.

I have the marine classik in Roman with manual wind. Manual wind adds circa 150 to cost. I would recommend them. Champagne watches for lemonade money. They get a lot of wrist time from me.

I have my Antea creme on today.

image.jpg

The pick-up and forwarding of the Accutron to a US based service and restoration expert is all sorted.

The huge variety of pick, pack and post agents in the US always amazes me.
    UPS shops and lots of independent businesses all happy to take on the work and get stuff moved.

Versus Ireland/UK/EU where shiply and the like are often the only option and prices for even simple things are often extortionate.
    Surprising that this type of service is so rare this side of the Atlantic.

Watch should be with the restorer by Monday, I know the service itself will be @$215, then it's a roll of the dice as to what else needs replacing/restoring.
    Fingers crossed it won't be too many bits, so as cheap as possible :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Question on posting watches in Ireland. What will an post cover registered insurance wise

Question on posting watches in Ireland. What will an post cover registered insurance wise

320 euro max on registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Pretty sure An Post don't cover jewellery though (which they regard watches as) - see T&Cs here:
    https://www.anpost.com/AnPost/media/PDFs/SinglePieceMailTermsandConditionsforUniversalServices.pdf

...finally had a closer read today - seems like if your watch doesn't have gold/silver/platinum case it doesn't count as jewellery - nice!
    (14) “Jewellery” means:—(a) gold, silver, or platinum or other precious metal in a manufactured state, that is to say, a state in which value is added to the raw material by skilled workmanship, and includes any coins used or designed for the purposes of ornament;(b) diamonds and precious stones;(c) watches, the cases of which are entirely or mainly composed of gold, silver or platinum or other precious metal; and(d) any article of a like nature which, apart from workmanship, has an intrinsic or marketable value.

Good thing Rolexium isn't a real thing (but then again you'd only get €320 as compensation within Ireland)

Here are the levels of coverage for Ireland/UK, Europe and rest of world:
    Insurance cover is provided for the declared value up to:

€320 for post to Ireland and the UK
    €150 for post to Europe
    €100 for parcels and €35 for all other items sent outside of Europe

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is there insurance from chrono24 does anybody know? Obviously with lockdown, flying over to collect a watch is pretty much not going to happen! And also don't fancy getting a watch shipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The money gets held in escrow until you receive the watch I believe. So in effect that's insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The money gets held in escrow until you receive the watch I believe. So in effect that's insurance.

Yes when I got my seamaster i had to go into Chrono and release the funds to seller once i was happy with watch condition etc

Yes when I got my seamaster i had to go into Chrono and release the funds to seller once i was happy with watch condition etc

When it come to condition credit card companies can be reluctant to do write-backs, also the threat of bad feedback on chrono makes sellers behave themselves very well.

Thanks all. Spotted 1 or 2 on it that's not available in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

antodeco wrote: »
    Is there insurance from chrono24 does anybody know? Obviously with lockdown, flying over to collect a watch is pretty much not going to happen! And also don't fancy getting a watch shipped!

Why not? Insist it's couriered fully insured - it's way easier for a dealer (or anyone not in Ireland) to get it couriered.

• Advertisement

I've had bad luck with post the last 2 months! Alot have gone missing or massively delayed. I'll look into the max insurance cover for packages with the various companies. Thanks!

Advertisement