Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

oxocube wrote: »
    Yachtmaster 40mm or Yachtmaster II. The Yachtmaster 40mm Rolesium would be up the top of my list :cool:

The Yachtmaster II, very busy and in fairness since my membership lapsed and I sold the cruiser I have no use for a regatta timer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Was debating whether to put this in the fakes thread but decided not to cause too much controversy ha.

An interesting teardown of a £50 "Bolex". Interesting point about using the cleaner/lubricator with same fluids and hence the debris.

People were asking him to look at the super clones/fakes too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thinking of buying a Seagull 1963 with acrylic crystal, non-display case back and leather strap from Watch Unique in Netherlands. Anyone dealt with them and can give feed back on the experience would be appreciated ???

https://watchunique.com/product/seagull-1963-solid-leather/?v=796834e7a283

I think I got my 1963 from them around 10 years ago now - transaction went without a hitch.

Nice range of 1963's available via HKed too, a microbrand I discovered thanks to TF ;)

https://www.hkedwatches.com/collections/1963-38mm

• Advertisement

Ed from HK (hence HKED :D ) makes the model that more true to the original (square indices and the logo used by Tianjin back then for the airforce). Some people take issue with the red star too. More costly though (but more authentic) - great to have choice ;)

Thanks for the feed back.

Not sure if I'm willing to pay the extra for a HKED more original dial. Probably will go with Unique Watch as they have a couple of things in their favour over Aliexpress for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Do authorised dealers such as Keanes offer any discounts when buying watches? Or is the price the price..

I read online that some ADs give discounts on their Rolex range..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

Do authorised dealers such as Keanes offer any discounts when buying watches? Or is the price the price..

I read online that some ADs give discounts on their Rolex range..

Depends on the watch. Stainless Rolex. Zero discount. Precious metal-yes.

Other brands. Yes 10-20 %.

Very little competition in Ireland for luxury watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

What type of discount (if any) would you think they could offer on an Evergold Date Just 36mm. They have it at 11550 e , which is the same as the RRP on Rolex website.

Hi it's me again guys.

About the Seagull 1963, I emailed HKED about the sale/seconds listing and got a reply from Ed to say he had two, both with scratches/scuffs on their cases and sent me photos. The first with scrathces between the crown and 4 o'clock pusher seems to be the least damaged but I'm still thinking of going with Unique as although it's about the same price and has the advantage of the more original dial plus a display CB, it is damaged and I will still have to pay importation costs.

How hard do you think it would be to polish out the scratches? Any advice appreciated.

These 2 pics show scuff marks and two scratches on one of the cases.
    517292.jpeg

517293.jpeg

This is the least damaged IMO and as I wear on right wrist will show less.
    517294.jpeg

Hi it's me again guys.

I know nothing about polishing watches, but I'd say a cape cod cloth or a Dremel polish with a little cutting paste would sort those out?
    The seem quite minor, and I do think Ed's version is particularly nice.

Acrylic I know polishes out well tho.

On a separate note.
    Taking Fight me appointments on foot of the other thread :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've polished a few. Stay away from a dremel. The lugs you could easily do by hand depending how deep they are which is impossible to tell from a photo. One inbetween the crown and buttons is harder, you'd probably have to take the watch apart to get at it.
    Just the basics of polishing, you're taking away the metal around the scratch. So the deeper the scratch, the more metal you take away. You get compount or emery rough enough to take it down, then lighter and lighter up to mirror finish. I honestly wouldn't do it on a mirror finish SS watch with so few scratches, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Not sure if anyone else saw Conor McGregors latest Instagram story but he was in weirs trying on watches and a lo and behold among them was a batman on a jubilee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Cyrus wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else saw Conor McGregors latest Instagram story but he was in weirs trying on watches and a lo and behold among them was a batman on a jubilee

To be honest, if he wore my grail watch, I'd have to reconsider ownership.
    I do not consider his endorsement anything to value.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    To be honest, if he wore my grail watch, I'd have to reconsider ownership.
    I do not consider his endorsement anything to value.

thats not the point im making :)

weirs have on there, however if you went in looking for it you couldnt buy it.

mcgregor is a thug, but he has some very nice watches.

Who's Conor McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Who's Conor McGregor?

Ask Google?

Ask Google?

McGoogle ?

• Advertisement

Owner of the Patek Weirs edition:

Weir-and-sons-Patek-ref.-5905P-014.jpg

Patek-Philippe-ref.-5905P-014-325x400.jpg

^^That looks Weird

The font is classy though :pac:

They missed a trick not setting the date to March 17 though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you surprised? They probably made a good 25k profit on that Patek. He is in their very good books :p

Thirdfox wrote: »
    The font is classy though :pac:

They missed a trick not setting the date to March 17 though ;)

The post of the year in the watch forum :pac:

Not one for hurling in the ditches is our TF!

Brilliant!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Guys, I am interested in buying a JLC Polaris ... At the moment either an Automatic on steel bracelet or possibly a Polaris Date on rubber strap.

Went into Paul Sheeran's and also Weir's to try any Polaris on, just to get a sense of them on the wrist. It transpires neither has any of the Polaris line in stock (Fair enough, I can see how they would sell more Reverso and Master line maybe).

Is anyone aware of another place in Dublin that might have a Polaris knocking around? I think it may have to wait until we're flying again...

There was one on adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/19842184

I add is withdrawn so might or might not be sold. I don’t know the seller but I can get his email potentially as I was private messaging him if you want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

893bet wrote: »
    There was one on adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/19842184

I add is withdrawn so might or might not be sold. I don’t know the seller but I can get his email potentially as I was private messaging him if you want.

Thanks for this... That's a great memory you have.

Not one of the Polaris line-up that I would go for - not so keen on the blue face - but that seems like it's quite a good price actually.

Thanks for this... That's a great memory you have.

Not one of the Polaris line-up that I would go for - not so keen on the blue face - but that seems like it's quite a good price actually.

I thought about buying it for a month or so myself. It is a little too thick for my style so let it go.

Let me know if you want me to get his email address or number as he has no other adds active so you have no way of getting in contact your self.

• Advertisement

I'm on the hunt for some decent NATO's, ideally Bark and Jack level comfort which would make the initial choice obvious.

But!

I want at least 1 of them with bronze hardware to go with something I bought on impulse (Damn you Blanchy90 ;) )

Anybody know where I might get sorted?

Advertisement