Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Advice please....

I've decided my next watch will be a 40mm Speedmaster as I don't think my small wrists can't handle the 42mm.

I've narrowed the choice down to 2.

Speedmaster F.O.I.S.- 311.32.40.30.01.001

Speedmaster Racing - 326.30.40.50.06.001

Both are available new at circa 3.5k on Chrono24.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Advice is to try the 42mm before deciding. I've got tiny wrists (normally take 4-6 links out of bracelets) and my Speedmaster 42mm fits me well. I think it's one of the designs that can be worn on smaller wrists without issue so maybe give it a try before deciding that you *have* to look at the 40mm ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Coincidentally I've been looking at the Aqua Terra Golf over the last few days. Which makes no sense as I've convinced myself that a Milguass would be too large on me.

That black and green combo seems to do it for me apparently.

I really need to try on some watches around that size to work out what works for me and what doesn't.

size of case, shape of case, size/shape of lugs can all affect how a watch might sit on one's wrists - even if they are all 38/40/42mm watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Oh yeah definitely. Milguass is 40mm case with 48 lug to lug. It has protruding end links though that push it out to 50mm lug to lug.

From what I've seen on the Aqua Terra it's 41.5mm case diameter, 47.5 lug to lug and the end links don't push that out any further.

I really just need to try them on. The Milguass I could probably try on relatively easily. Don't know anyone with the Omega though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Feel free to come over and try on the Milgauss if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Coincidentally I've been looking at the Aqua Terra Golf over the last few days.

You might be interested in the latest video from Just One More Watch, a three year review of the Aqua Terra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Ow5VLePro&feature=em-uploademail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Advice is to try the 42mm before deciding. I've got tiny wrists (normally take 4-6 links out of bracelets) and my Speedmaster 42mm fits me well. I think it's one of the designs that can be worn on smaller wrists without issue so maybe give it a try before deciding that you *have* to look at the 40mm ones.

Agree here..try on the 42. It wears smaller than you'd think..I've 7.3 inch wrist and I think its the perfect watch size for me..

- how to photograph a watch ;) #Paging Dr. Unkel :D

Might make for an interesting rainy Saturday project. I'll share photos of my setup and results later on (the review samples are obviously out of the country right now but have a number of prototypes left to practise on).

I'm a lost cause I'm afraid :p

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

Yes you make all your watches look considerably worse looking in pictures :)

What phone do you have? Most are pretty decent these days at taking pictures..

See 1:34 - he used the same technique for cars too - hopefully when you're selling on classic cars you take a bit more time to photograph them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought a few watches recently and wanted to offload a couple I had that got little wrist time.

One was a G-Shock DW5600E, which I had for several years but was still in very good nick.

I stuck it up on that auction site and it seems to be getting a lot of interest. On less than 2 days and already 220 views with 20 watchers.

They must be very popular watches. Will be interesting to see what it fetches. Hopefully a few of the bidders will lose the run of themselves!

Yes you make all your watches look considerably worse looking in pictures :)

What phone do you have? Most are pretty decent these days at taking pictures..

I'm not blaming my tools. Phone is a Google Pixel 3 XL. The problem is the person behind the camera :p
    hopefully when you're selling on classic cars you take a bit more time to photograph them :P

Nope same problem. I can only hope someone knows me from these forums and will expect the thing I'm selling to look much better in the flesh!

Thanks,
    My wrists are 6.5 inches and I won't be able to try before I buy.

I have a 40mm Stowa MO which is as big as I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

The 40mm Stowa will wear the same size as a 42mm speedmaster.

Just measured myself there - 6.75" wrists - a Stowa MO has a large dial/thin bezel. With the Speedmaster it's got a much bigger bezel and the dial area might be smaller than the Stowa actually (in terms of how it would look to your eyes on the wrist). Any particular reason you won't be able to try before you buy?

Can try on a speedmaster 42 at will.

There are loads on this forum. Loads on adverts. In every AD also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given that the Seiko Arnie recently became one of the de-jour watches of the forum ;)

We now have a few floating around amongst us.
    Has anyone given any thought to post warranty expiration mods?

I don't know why, but every time I look at mine I'm tempted to try a domed sapphire.

Am I just weird?

I'm not blaming my tools. Phone is a Google Pixel 3 XL. The problem is the person behind the camera :p

Nope same problem. I can only hope someone knows me from these forums and will expect the thing I'm selling to look much better in the flesh!
    Ah Jesus the pixels are about as idiot proof as possible when it comes to photos...a steady hand and some light helps... I took all.oir holiday photos last year on a pixel 3.. had some printed in albums recently and the quality is awesome

• Advertisement

I think I might be improving a tiny bit. Did the 10 past 10 thing and all :p

Linky

I think I might be improving a tiny bit. Did the 10 past 10 thing and all :p

Linky
    Looking good! - one step at a time - I guess the buzzing bee didn't hit it off with you?

Prompted by 893bet and also by Relative Time's effort in photographing my watch (and doing a better job of it than I had) I brushed up on some watch photography techniques too - about 6 hours of photography/post processing but it's a start too:

uL7i5kXh.jpg

I got a little tired towards the end so the burning was doing pretty haphazardly - I'm also waiting for a drawing tablet to come from Amazon which should speed up post-processing considerably :)

You'll get some background in the main Sólás thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You'll get some background in the main Sólás thread :D

That's a bloody huge improvement TF!
    Lovely idea to do a combination front/back shot too.

banie01 wrote: »
    That's a bloody huge improvement TF!
    Lovely idea to do a combination front/back shot too.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058090293

It was a "homage" shot :P

Looking good! - one step at a time - I guess the buzzing bee didn't hit it off with you?

The alarm is charming. The whole watch is. But it's a little bit small for me and with the incoming watch I know I will only be wearing one of two watches all the time. Or even just the one :eek:

Looking better. Sooner you get the best pictures up on the website and Kickstarter the better. Ideally before the big reviews hit and drive traffic.

Best movement shot I have seen so far.

Thanks - on thinking about what you said I've put up the prototype photos as a placeholder for now on both the website and kickstarter preview page.

Just measured myself there - 6.75" wrists - a Stowa MO has a large dial/thin bezel. With the Speedmaster it's got a much bigger bezel and the dial area might be smaller than the Stowa actually (in terms of how it would look to your eyes on the wrist). Any particular reason you won't be able to try before you buy?

3 hours away from the nearest AD and I don't really want to travel in the current situation.

Any opinions on the FOIS and the Racing?

quattro777 wrote: »
    3 hours away from the nearest AD and I don't really want to travel in the current situation.

Any opinions on the FOIS and the Racing?

Between the two I'd choose the FOIS - as I've a broad arrow version myself (the moonphase version).

There's a WUS thread on just this topic - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/speedmaster-moon-watch-vs-new-speedy-racing-909124-3.html - I believe the person went with a Speedy Pro in the end :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bought a few watches recently and wanted to offload a couple I had that got little wrist time.

One was a G-Shock DW5600E, which I had for several years but was still in very good nick.

I stuck it up on that auction site and it seems to be getting a lot of interest. On less than 2 days and already 220 views with 20 watchers.

They must be very popular watches. Will be interesting to see what it fetches. Hopefully a few of the bidders will lose the run of themselves!

Funnily, I've been looking at a 5600E as my next purchase! They're lovely.

The missus treated me to a Casio W218H in blue recently (we're both students, so smaller gifts are how we roll!) so that's been a nice change the past week. Hadn't realised how much bulkier my G-Shock GA-110 was until I got the W218H.

Advertisement