Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

Ok who in Dublin bought the VC from tz-uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893bet wrote: »
    Ok who in Dublin bought the VC from tz-uk?

Your one sold?

No a different one sold to a Dublin buyer. I tried trading mine toward it.

I am hoping it Cyrus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

@This is it - have you been playing with diamonds on your sapphire? :D

Sapphire is very hard to scratch - so I'd suspect that the blemish is more likely the AR coating on your sapphire surface having been scratched off somewhat.

I'm not sure Watchfix will re-apply AR coating however (it'd have to match the existing type that's on your watch - is it an Omega?)

The Starlight for example only has AR coating on the underside of the sapphire crystal - it's not as good as having AR on both sides but it means users won't ever need to worry about scratches on the crystal (apart from knocking diamonds into it :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

Thirdfox wrote: »
    @This is it - have you been playing with diamonds on your sapphire? :D

Sapphire is very hard to scratch - so I'd suspect that the blemish is more likely the AR coating on your sapphire surface having been scratched off somewhat.

I'm not sure Watchfix will re-apply AR coating however (it'd have to match the existing type that's on your watch - is it an Omega?)

The Starlight for example only has AR coating on the underside of the sapphire crystal - it's not as good as having AR on both sides but it means users won't ever need to worry about scratches on the crystal (apart from knocking diamonds into it :pac: )

It's a Tag. Yeah maybe it's the AR, hadn't thought of that. Is there anywhere you'd suggest that I could take it for inspection and possible fix? I doubt it's noticable to most but it does bother me. I'm willing to pay I'd the right job is done.

Edit, no diamonds, no :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@This is it, it's likely an AR coating blemish.

If the crystal is 2AR, it might be a cheap fix to take of the bezel and polish off the top AR coating completely. Than replace the bezel and carry on regardless.

I don't know if AR can be redone as such without actually replacing the crystal or some funky equipment to recoat the crystal.

Look something like this?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ar+coating+scratch&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk02b12zGtV-UpgVhudB0qToV-Xjlhw:1593364194064&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjmyKOWgKXqAhW8VBUIHTEYBVcQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1922&bih=967#imgrc=9sHtji5RW2xvcM

Seems like it happens with Tags:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=tag+heuer+ar+coating+on+crystal

You might have a look to see if those threads have any other solutions...

The quick/cheap "solution" to this is to strip the AR from the topside entirely. The nice/expensive way of curing this is to send back to Tag for recoating (until it gets scratched/scruffed again :/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watchfix are polishing off the AR from my aqua Terra. Should have it back tomorrow so will post results.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No a different one sold to a Dublin buyer. I tried trading mine toward it.

I am hoping it Cyrus.....

40th birthday pressie to myself !

Just thought of another potential solution - you could always get another AR coated crystal and install it (yourself or watchmaker) - and then sell the old crystal up on ebay for whatever people will pay for it - should be cheaper than sending back to Tag for a service.

• Advertisement

Rolex don't use any AR right? Or have they started using it now?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    AR coatings are a nightmare and mark far too easily for my liking, the problem is when you see it you can never look at the watch again without seeing it

Makes sense on the inside of the crystal but probably overkill for outside

It does make a large difference though having the double coated inner/outer coatings.

Spoke to my factory partner after 2 reviewers asked separately "is there AR coating on this?" - there's actually 7 layers (though I'm sure different compounds have different levels of effectiveness) - whereas if the top of the crystal was coated too the AR would perform a lot better.

I haven't a clue about watches, or how to dismantle them. Best if I leave it to a professional of replacing the crystal I'd say. Not sure how difficult it would be to remove the outter AR altogether or if it's advised against doing this yourself? I'm leaning towards going to a watchmaker and get their advise.

Here's an image of it, tough to get a decent pic unfortunately. As I said, hardly noticable to others I'd say but I can see it so it's quite annoying

I think it might be one of those things that "if you're not feeling up to it ask the expert". It's a slightly weird looking smudge (compared to the sharp lines you might find when AR is scratched off - presumably you've tried vigorously cleaning the surface already? i.e. pop some fairy liquid on a sponge (green side) and give it a good scrubbing - AR shouldn't be affected by that level of cleaning (though I can't guarantee that :D ).

The most I've done is water with microfiber cloth, I was afraid to do much more. Green side seems very rough!?

To be honest - even normal AR *should* resist a steel key scrapping across it (don't sue me if it doesn't :D) - though I wouldn't be sure about steel wire (and cleaning properties would be inferior to the green side).

The stuff that can ruin mineral crystal/AR tends to be things like sand (quartz etc.) which is more abrasive than steel.

Green side *should* definitely be ok. I've run my steel keys across watches to demonstrate that it's fine - in fact our phone glass screens are fine too (and higher end phone screens are coated too) for steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funnily, I've been looking at a 5600E as my next purchase! They're lovely.

The missus treated me to a Casio W218H in blue recently (we're both students, so smaller gifts are how we roll!) so that's been a nice change the past week. Hadn't realised how much bulkier my G-Shock GA-110 was until I got the W218H.

And funnily I am selling the G-Shock because I also own a blue Casio F-108H, a white Casio W-214HC and 2 orange W-214H. These are all robust enough for anything I do, so the G-SHOCK could go.

Cyrus wrote: »
    40th birthday pressie to myself !

Noice! I guessed as much! Congrats! Great price point compared to the current generation!

Dibs on flip!

Noice! I guessed as much! Congrats! Great price point compared to the current generation!

Dibs on flip!

I was seriously contemplating selling a few watches and buying that patek calatrava and then realised it wouldn’t have gotten worn enough

Delighted to have snagged this just missed out last go round .

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    I was seriously contemplating selling a few watches and buying that patek calatrava and then realised it wouldn’t have gotten worn enough

Delighted to have snagged this just missed out last go round .

That Calatrava was lovely but lacking in versatility. Would need to be part of a large high end collection to justify having the cash tied up in it. Kash comes up with goods repeatedly!

That Calatrava was lovely but lacking in versatility. Would need to be part of a large high end collection to justify having the cash tied up in it. Kash comes up with goods repeatedly!

That was the other thing that gave me a pause he sold a brand new one 5 years ago for 14k I know times have changed but still !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Rolex don't use any AR right? Or have they started using it now?

Inside only.

Got my aqua Terra back today and seamaster 300m

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200629161620343-COVER.jpg
    upload image link

Will post the 300m later. Looks like a new watch. Really missed the watches...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My Seamaster 300m is identical. I got it serviced a few months ago and it came back like new too. Well worth the wallet sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1579657141/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.jJ-Eb69PK8JH

I've been making my way through this book the last couple of weeks. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for something watch related that's a bit different. The author is a photographer so the book is basically a collection of beautiful photos of watches belonging to various people in the art / horology world mainly, and a corresponding page written by the watch owner explaining the story behind that watch, how they got it, a story related to it, or their philosophy on watch collecting in some cases. There is everything from Casios to rare vintage Rolex in it.

It's not about the actual technical specs of any of the watches. An example of one is a Timex that Bill Murray took off his wrist and handed to a waiter in a restaurant because it had great lume and the lighting was poor. There is a funny story around that. The author also got access to some brands archives to take photos of some very rare pieces. Cartier wouldn't even tell him the location, they just told him to be at a certain location and would take him from there. It's essentially a coffee table book but a very enjoyable one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

After 3 months my faith in the international postage system has been restored, Fiat tractor timing device arrived today.
    518321.jpg

518322.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Have been looking through some of John Bentley's(TheTigerUK) posts on TheWatchSite. Really cool guy,first heard about him from a recommendation from here,knows pretty much everything Seiko and has some collection.

In some of his posts he mentions buying watches at watch fairs. Found this one in the UK [Link] .Reminds me of the Coin Fairs in the RDS,assume there isn't something similar in Ireland as not the same demand.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been and what are they like?. Not sure if the prices would be as competitive as online,but would be great to see them in person and get the chance to talk about watches:)

12983837_1727781077467566_8784402988770991327_o.jpg

:( Really missing my pilots watch now:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Have been looking through some of John Bentley's(TheTigerUK) posts on TheWatchSite. Really cool guy,first heard about him from a recommendation from here,knows pretty much everything Seiko and has some collection.

In some of his posts he mentions buying watches at watch fairs. Found this one in the UK [Link] .Reminds me of the Coin Fairs in the RDS,assume there isn't something similar in Ireland as not the same demand.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been and what are they like?. Not sure if the prices would be as competitive as online,but would be great to see them in person and get the chance to talk about watches:)

12983837_1727781077467566_8784402988770991327_o.jpg

:( Really missing my pilots watch now:P
    Wibbs just whitewashed his bathroom.

Advertisement