Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I see mark wahlberg is also wearing the weirs patek oddly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cyrus wrote: »
    I see mark wahlberg is also wearing the weirs patek oddly enough

Him and the Wahlberg's are Boston/Catholic/Irish and exactly the market Weirs pitched the watch at IMHO.

High net worth children of Diaspora wanting luxury diddly aye notions of "Irish".

That sounds like I'm knocking Weirs, or Patel even...
    I'm not, it's a beautiful piece.
    It's one I'd love to own, just in a different colour scheme :P

They are aiming at a niché and gaining share.

banie01 wrote: »
    Him and the Wahlberg's are Boston/Catholic/Irish and exactly the market Weirs pitched the watch at IMHO.

High net worth children of Diaspora wanting luxury diddly aye notions of "Irish".

He had a claddagh ring with an emerald on aswell!! Begorrah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not a fan of green watches to be honest. Possibly very dark green. It's fashionable now with the green sub being the one to have. The patek green has a carrolls of dublin look to it, but as you say, it's aimed at particular people and we've already seen 2, so the're doing something right.

Kicking myself I didn't pick up a cheapo(ish) Christopher Ward watch earlier on this year- they don't seem to have their 1/2 price or demo watch links anymore on their updated site . I wonder will we get deals again like we saw in the past. There was some decent bits of kit for under 300 euro but 500+ is just too much for these for me if I just want a second watch

https://www.christopherward.com/home#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

Kicking myself I didn't pick up a cheapo(ish) Christopher Ward watch earlier on this year- they don't seem to have their 1/2 price or demo watch links anymore on their updated site . I wonder will we get deals again like we saw in the past. There was some decent bits of kit for under 300 euro but 500+ is just too much for these for me if I just want a second watch

https://www.christopherward.com/home#

They do regular sales.

Damn!!!!! The below be handsome! I would not buy it in a million years but it is handsome.

https://www.christopherward.com/dress/c1-moonphase/C01-40AMP1-S00B0-CK.html#mz-expanded-view-53427177939

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They seem a bit like DFS or Harvey Normal in that regard - always a sale on. It must work for them, but I think it just devalues their RRP.

Eoin wrote: »
    They seem a bit like DFS or Harvey Normal in that regard - always a sale on. It must work for them, but I think it just devalues their RRP.

I've seen your exact quote nearly, in other watch forums. That's why I'm sceptical - I figure they'll try and make hay on some pent up demand before offering certain watches at discounts of 50% (which they've done in the past)- but reckon they'll go back to pre-covid sales tactics eventually once demand starts to plateau

I've seen your exact quote nearly, in other watch forums. That's why I'm sceptical - I figure they'll try and make hay on some pent up demand before offering certain watches at discounts of 50% (which they've done in the past)- but reckon they'll go back to pre-covid sales tactics eventually once demand starts to plateau

Some of their watches look really nice, and they seem to get really good reviews - but for some reason I just can't warm to them, I don't know what it is. It's not even the constant sale thing.

Some of their watches look really nice, and they seem to get really good reviews - but for some reason I just can't warm to them, I don't know what it is. It's not even the constant sale thing.

When I first started my watch exploration earlier this year (I'm a newbie to watches)- I seriously considered some of these- but I felt that it was the "marketing" rather than the watch, that did the talking.

I'd love a sub 300 euro Morgan chronograph quartz (which they had in the past) as I don't think I'd lose a whole heap of money over time and would enjoy it in the meantime. I was in the market for a "keeper", for a special occasion in Jan 2020 so I went for a Hamilton automatic eventually and love it. But I just don't think the high-end CW's live up to the likes of Hamilton at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just after watching this,my Trip to Prague in a nutshell:cool:

Really enjoy stories like these,especially from ordinary people,he even included the shop address in the comments:) [Link]. Japan is somewhere I'd love to visit someday.

Any tips for reducing play or rattling on a 60click bezel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Cyrus wrote: »
    He had a claddagh ring with an emerald on aswell!! Begorrah

16 years I lived here before someone let their guard down and said Begorrah in front of me.

Every Irishman in the room groaned and stared at him and then me.

A day later a taxi said it. The next day a pizza delivery guy.

The stars must have aligned because I have never heard it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Any tips for reducing play or rattling on a 60click bezel?
    For the rattling it could be a perished/missing gasket. Play on the clicks, a worn clickspring. Can be fixed, there should be two spurs sticking up when you take the bezel off, increase the angle very gently with a pliers and refit.

Try dismantling, cleaning, greasing, straighten spurs, reassemble and it might resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pretty slick, G-Shock fitness tracking watch with basic smartwatch capabilites.

https://www.gshock.com/collections/move

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1
    I think for me it's the trident second hand, it's a bit like the big lume lollypop on the wrong end of some watches.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Some people really don't like counterweights on the second hand - would you be a fan of the Ball counterweight Blue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Some people really don't like counterweights on the second hand - would you be a fan of the Ball counterweight Blue?

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/emiin

The Normandy one? No. Just looks too complicated.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

blue5000 wrote: »
    https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/emiin

The Normandy one? No. Just looks too complicated.

Looks an awful lot better in the dark :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was going to order a Barton Elite strap for my Seiko Samurai but seen some reviews saying the spring bars are to thin for Seiko divers? Started looking I came across the Crafter Blue straps. Much heavier duty and shaped for the lugs. Anyone have both to give and opinion if it's worth the extra? It's more than twice the price.

Would probably prefer to just get the Seiko Z22 strap in Navy but it seems hard source at the moment online and there are fakes of it on a few sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I don’t have a Barton Elite, but I do have a Crafter Blue on a samurai.

It lives on the watch most of the time, and my samurai is pretty much my daily these days. It looks super, obviously fits the watch perfectly. I found it a much harder and less flexible material than I was expecting, I thought it would be a similar flexibility to the silicon straps, but it’s a lot tougher. I’m used to it now though, and it feels just right.

I do have a never worn orange Crafter Blue that just doesn’t suit the colour of my dial (Save the Ocean). If you want, I can stick it in the post to you to try out. If you like it, make me an offer, if not, post it back. At least you’d know what you think of the straps then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've a 22mm Barton Elite Silicone I don't use that you can try out as well if you want.

Send me on your address and I'll get it posted on Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.adverts.ie/20888222

About 2k over priced but a nice watch.

893bet wrote: »

It's on my to get wishlist.
    The price is very hopeful as is the sales spiel.
    "If" you can get on the waiting list?
    I know Harrods were closed until recently, but the wait list is only 3/4 months afaik for these.

Is this the one Fitz flipped recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks for the offers guys. Don't think the orange would suit my navy Samurai either dakar? I have an Orange monster I've been meaning to get an orange strap for but that has 20mm lugs.
    518912.jpg

What colour is the Barton you have hitemfrank? (never spotted the Father Ted reference before until I typed your user name out!)

Think I'll order the navy Crafter Blue think they look a better fit. The Samarui is quite a chunky watch and the Barton to my eye looks a little lost on it. I have it temporally on a Fossil 22mm silicone strap as I don't have a tool to resize the bracelet yet. I don't really like the big gap between the lugs it's a winey red though and the colour doesn't quite work.

518911.jpg

CB09-B-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

It's black with an orange underside. It wouldn't go with the blue but it would at least let you know how the spring bars work with the lugs.

Finally, someone has gotten the name reference :D

893bet wrote: »

Joke of a price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Ryath wrote: »
    Thanks for the offers guys. Don't think the orange would suit my navy Samurai either dakar? I have an Orange monster I've been meaning to get an orange strap for but that has 20mm lugs.

I reckon you’re right, navy is the way to go.

I’m on the lookout for a black or orange dial (or a grey dawn, but they’re creeping up in price all the time). The black one on Ernest Jones would have hit the spot, but they were sold out by the time I got to sit down to sort out a UK delivery address and Revolut.

The strap does finish the watch perfectly, I think it’s worth the extra few quid over a non fitted strap.

518915.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I have some money set aside for a Sinn 104, but I have recently been getting a major interest in the Tissot Le Locle chronograph. 1500 is at the higher end of the Tissot price point but with the rose gold (albeit pvd coating) and the pretty sweet valjoux movement I am suddenly torn between to two.

• Advertisement

Personally I'd find it hard to look past the Sinn, I think it's a cracking watch

Advertisement