Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Latest episode of Watchfinder & Co. on youtube is a really good video on Vacheron Constantin Pocket Watches

prepared to be amazed on what can be done, by hand, in the past :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

david wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of Nato's but love the Marine Nationale when threaded correctly with the caseback flush to your wrist. Wear very snug. Like this (not my watch, just a google image):

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0153/3399/files/How_to_Fit_the_Marine_Nationale_on_up_to_15_cm_wrists_1_large.jpg?v=1582620709

Hadn't seen that style of strap before, really like the look of them.

Tempted by this version on amazon seems well reviewed and a bit more affordable to try out than the NDC or Erika ones.

Just found these too.
    https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/collections/marine-nationale-straps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ryath wrote: »
    Hadn't seen that style of strap before, really like the look of them.

Tempted by this version on amazon seems well reviewed and a bit more affordable to try out than the NDC or Erika ones.

Just found these too.
    https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/collections/marine-nationale-straps

Thanks for finding the bronze hardware!
    Those are very nice indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

Anyone watch the Jenni Elle YouTube videos? Good reviews and I find her voice/accent incredibly hot, which is a bonus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

This is it wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Jenni Elle YouTube videos? Good reviews and I find her voice/accent incredibly hot, which is a bonus! :D

I did for a while when she started first.

Yes she's very attractive and she knows how to do videos but I got tired of watching her review one high-end luxury watch after another that I'm never going to buy. Now I don't watch her anymore.

I watch Tim on Caseback Watches instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

OmegaGene wrote: »

I bought a few things on Farfetch and I'm constantly getting ads for modified Rolexs from MAD Paris. MAD prices!

https://www.farfetch.com/ie/shopping/men/watches-4/items.aspx?view=90&designer=8374824

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Birneybau wrote: »
    I bought a few things on Farfetch and I'm constantly getting ads for modified Rolexs from MAD Paris. MAD prices!

https://www.farfetch.com/ie/shopping/men/watches-4/items.aspx?view=90&designer=8374824

you would literally want to be mad ourrof it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent watch box (not an aliexpress job)? Ideally I just want a five watch holder but six max. Anything up to €100 is fine, I just don't want something really poor quality.

Finally received my new crown and stem for my Bund
    I think I'll get a pro to fit it tho, as I'm certain neither of my skills or my tools for the little cut if one is needed.

Really looking forward to getting this one back on my wrist.

I don't know what sparked the notion but over the past few days I've been considering a little mod to my Sinn.

A hand swap from the current broad sword style to a skeletonized version.

Something like these with keeping the original second and GMT hands.

Any thoughts? Can pick up the handset fairly cheap and it's an easy enough job to swap back so I may well give it a go and see how it turns out.

520320.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are they lumed?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are they lumed?

Yep, my only real worry on that score would be a mismatched lume but the lume colour seems okay as an experiment at least.

attachment.php?attachmentid=520323&d=1595077027

edit: pp link
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/163711646280

I'm loving this. Brings me back to my childhood. A family friend had similar in gold. Probably the first digital watch i ever saw or touched.
    Too pricey right now but I'll certainly be on the lookout in the second hand market in a few years.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h52414130-american-classic-psr-digital-quartz.html

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I'm loving this. Brings me back to my childhood. A family friend had similar in gold. Probably the first digital watch i ever saw or touched.
    Too pricey right now but I'll certainly be on the lookout in the second hand market in a few years.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h52414130-american-classic-psr-digital-quartz.html

Cool looking watch

Funny enough,was just talking to a guy on the Bellmatics forum that used to collect LED watches from the 70s. They were quite unreliable and used up batteries very fast.He was saying about 25 years ago,you could find loads on eBay,but dried up and went into collections,now mainly find expensive examples needing repair,an example [Link]

0121-1_501ec5c3-6d73-4dda-ba28-b08638139fbf_1024x.jpg?v=1533545895

My favorite,Omega Time Computer.Love the bracelets from the 1970s,also the quirky way of setting the time

0140_71dfd293-286b-4b6f-9f10-b0f404aa0751_1024x.jpg?v=1533545895

LlftyRk.jpg

They have even started to make replacement LED Modules as spare parts are long gone,interesting article on the PLT-1 Module [Link]

Even Roger Moore wore one during his first outing as James Bond in Live and Let Die

hzygmrb12uny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Any suggestions on a metal bracelet for a SEIKO SAMURAI.
    I don't find the original seiko bracelet comfortable.
    Anyone tried strapsco, miltat or strapcode?
    A boards search shows me everyone putting rubber straps on them.
    Thanks

Cool looking watch

Even Roger Moore wore one during his first outing as James Bond in Live and Let Die

hzygmrb12uny.jpg

Apparently the James Bond one was indeed, a Hamilton. They sold off the name "Pulsar" to Seiko some time back so they can't use that name now- or so the link below states.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/3/23/21191283/hamilton-psr-pulsar-digital-watch-price-50th-anniversary-remake-oled-lcd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's the story with buying on chrono24, is it normal to offer a lower price than the asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cienciano wrote: »
    What's the story with buying on chrono24, is it normal to offer a lower price than the asking?

Totally depends. Some listings allow offers to be made. Some don't..no harm no foul if you can offer and it's lower than the buyer wants. They simply reject or counter offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

the grey market guys are usually very competitively priced in the first place so low balling doesn't really get you anything other than a flat out rejection. Private sales you could get a nice discount by asking the same as anywhere I guess. I got a great deal on a Max Bill for my wife last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I bought a watch on Chrono24 earlier this month after making a few offers with various sellers which were refused. In the end the offer I made for the watch I bought was refused too, but the seller made a counteroffer which I was happy with. The seller was a reputable jeweller in the UK, it shows that some businesses on C24 are open to negotiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

eljono wrote: »
    I bought a watch on Chrono24 earlier this month after making a few offers with various sellers which were refused. In the end the offer I made for the watch I bought was refused too, but the seller made a counteroffer which I was happy with. The seller was a reputable jeweller in the UK, it shows that some businesses on C24 are open to negotiation.

Which dealer on the UK?

Pm if you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

893bet wrote: »
    Which dealer on the UK?

Pm if you prefer

PM sent

Cheers, it's a private seller. So might be room for a discount judging from prices on other sites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

There's a guy selling a 16233 Rolex Datejust, champagne face and diamond dials for €4900 negotiable locally to me. Deal or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Chrono24 allows the seller to say whether or not they want to accept offers on the asking price (a bit like fleabay does). It's probably not much in the grand scheme of things, but I've also questioned the shipping price in the past and had a bit shaved off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

ebay is slightly different in my experience where you can ask for 4k for an item and have offers on and you would expect to get €3800 ish and all day long it is low ball offers of €2k CASH TODAY and when a seller declines the abuse you get is unreal

i have always made offers if i think it is a little steep and most of the time they are accepted and if not i move along

This. But alas, you don't even have to go as far as eBay to get this sort of abuse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

ebay is slightly different in my experience where you can ask for 4k for an item and have offers on and you would expect to get €3800 ish and all day long it is low ball offers of €2k CASH TODAY and when a seller declines the abuse you get is unreal

i have always made offers if i think it is a little steep and most of the time they are accepted and if not i move along

This has worked in reverse for me too. If a seller has been browned off with low ball offers all day and mine is the first reasonable offer, say 15-20% off the asking price, it's accepted pretty quick.

I reckon if you're new to selling online don't have 'make an offer' as an option.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I actually find the eBay option OK to use - you can set auto-reject/accept options, and offers & counter offers are all done by clicking buttons, which removes some of the... emotive responses. If I remember correctly, it's chrono24 who have combined the offers system with the messaging interface, which makes it easier to get pissy replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Have anymore Milgauss been found in biscuit tins lately? That was a great thread on here.

Other than that, I have a bid in on a watch, bidding has slowed and it's a waiting game now.I'm not going higher, it would be too close to new price.

• Advertisement

Well, I offered 15% lower and it was accepted, so happy days

Advertisement