Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/mint-vintage-1973-seiko-pogue-pepsi-6139-6005-chronograph--100-original--id15416460.htm

I think I'll have to just quietly put the Pogue away for a few years, half afraid to wear it now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

blue5000 wrote: »
    https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/mint-vintage-1973-seiko-pogue-pepsi-6139-6005-chronograph--100-original--id15416460.htm

I think I'll have to just quietly put the Pogue away for a few years, half afraid to wear it now.

I've seen them go for 500 euro and up...was that actual one on the moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I've seen them go for 500 euro and up...was that actual one on the moon?

Wow, that is some price for a Pogue, even in mint condition!

The Seiko Ref 6139-6002 used by William Pogue during his training to pilot Skylab in 1973 never went to the moon, but was worn by the man himself as he had gotten used to it in the run up to the mission, so the legend goes.

It is also notable as being the first widely available automatic chrono, beating the Swiss.

I've seen nicely restored ones going for £600 sterling, but that's bananas.

You have to be careful though. A guy I know in the UK bought one from a very reputable eBay seller only to find counterfeit dial, bezel ring and more inside it, on sending it to our collective tame horologist.

There was some to-ing and fro-ing before a full refund was issued.

Be careful out there, folks.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Wow, that is some price for a Pogue, even in mint condition!

The Seiko Ref 6139-6002 used by William Pogue during his training to pilot Skylab in 1973 never went to the moon, but was worn by the man himself as he had gotten used to it in the run up to the mission, so the legend goes.

It is also notable as being the first widely available automatic chrono, beating the Swiss.

I've seen nicely restored ones going for £600 sterling, but that's bananas.

You have to be careful though. A guy I know in the UK bought one from a very reputable eBay seller only to find counterfeit dial, bezel ring and more inside it, on sending it to our collective tame horologist.

There was some to-ing and fro-ing before a full refund was issued.

Be careful out there, folks.

There was one on adverts around dublin i think in or around the 500 to 600 euro mark? there a while i think

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Just got a call from Weirs to say there's a GMT master 2 with my name on it! :D i'll make sure to throw up some pics when i get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My Accutron Astronaut GMT is finally on its way to my greasy mitts!
    Can't believe it's over 2 months since I bought it, and I've yet to hold it, wear it or coo over it :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's an insane price for a pogue, any pogue, unless it's the actual one worn in space, which IIRC went for around 8000 a few years ago.

Speaking of insane prices and dealers smoking the waccy baccy... Hodinkee may have finally jumped the shark even to their oh so aspirational man bag and man bun loyalists. They announced a travel clock with their branding.

LETravelclock-3QFRONT_1024x1024.jpg?v=1595516881

Now a travel clock in the middle of a pandemic where nobody's travelling is one thing, but we'll let that tone deaf idiocy lay for the moment. Never mind it's another thing to go missing/get nicked if you're actually travelling. Worse it looks like something from Argos for 29.99. A cut price Braun design. Apparently it houses a movement they got from a batch that was never put into clocks back in the day. Turns out said movement is entry level junk, hence no pics of the movement on their site. Oh and you need a key to wind it, but that's a hipster "feature". The dial was lovingly designed by some typographer you've never heard of and the case is covered in hand finished leather(badly as even on their site the pics show sloppiness). A limited run of 100.

Now this is hodinkee so price? 1000 quid would have you sniff, 2000? Nope, not even close. 5900 of your Freedom Bucks. Six grand. Yeah... Oh and it sold out. They found 100 utter morons with six grand burning a hole in their pocket. That 100 such morons exist with that kinda disposable should illustrate to anyone wondering if the world is a fair place. :D

Still the comment's section went nuts so they closed it down. They've been roasted on social media for it, though again scarily the number of their fanboys that try to justify it is high.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Who the **** buys a travel clock in 2020? Almost 6k for it, surely they were fake sales? No one could actually buy that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

that's absolutely staggering. I'd almost be thinking along the lines of Cienciano on this one; is it a case that absolutely no one bought it so they just gave it fake sales? Think of the high quality Atmos clock you could get for that money!

They had an hourglass for €12,000 in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are serious morons on this score out there CC. They need leading into buying the aspirational "authentic" to make them feel better. Now that's the case with all sorts of goods, but with luxury goods you have to tread a very fine line or you fall on your arse. Hodinkee just did I reckon, though it'll take a while for it to really hit. Then again they've been selling a fair lot of crap in their online shop for years. Overpriced mid grade vintage stuff with no movement shots for example. Their articles have gone majorly downhill and they won't criticise models or makers now they're authorised dealers for most of them. Then again watch "journalism" with few exceptions has long been very incestuous and is almost always a product press release with different bylines of the usual suspects.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's an insane price for a pogue, any pogue, unless it's the actual one worn in space, which IIRC went for around 8000 a few years ago.

Speaking of insane prices and dealers smoking the waccy baccy... Hodinkee may have finally jumped the shark even to their oh so aspirational man bag and man bun loyalists. They announced a travel clock with their branding.

LETravelclock-3QFRONT_1024x1024.jpg?v=1595516881

Now a travel clock in the middle of a pandemic where nobody's travelling is one thing, but we'll let that tone deaf idiocy lay for the moment. Never mind it's another thing to go missing/get nicked if you're actually travelling. Worse it looks like something from Argos for 29.99. A cut price Braun design. Apparently it houses a movement they got from a batch that was never put into clocks back in the day. Turns out said movement is entry level junk, hence no pics of the movement on their site. Oh and you need a key to wind it, but that's a hipster "feature". The dial was lovingly designed by some typographer you've never heard of and the case is covered in hand finished leather(badly as even on their site the pics show sloppiness). A limited run of 100.

Now this is hodinkee so price? 1000 quid would have you sniff, 2000? Nope, not even close. 5900 of your Freedom Bucks. Six grand. Yeah... Oh and it sold out. They found 100 utter morons with six grand burning a hole in their pocket. That 100 such morons exist with that kinda disposable should illustrate to anyone wondering if the world is a fair place. :D

Still the comment's section went nuts so they closed it down. They've been roasted on social media for it, though again scarily the number of their fanboys that try to justify it is high.

What may be funnier is that there is chance they will trade for above RRP on second hand market......would not surprise me.

Wouldn't surprise me either, though the reaction has been far more negative across social media and other sites, even non watch sites. They've had howlers before, but not to this degree. Never mind what were they thinking. Travel clocks died a death many years ago and in the vintage market even big name and far far higher quality examples than that hodinkee crap will struggle to see north of 1000. More like a couple of hundred quid. Now we can say that a mechanical wristwatch is an anachronism, but it's far more functional in both physical terms and even social proof terms than a travel clock. Then again the Dink one will never travel. It'll sit on some easily swayed eejits shelf as an arbiter of his "taste" and "authenticity". I wonder will any of the buyers regret the purchase and strip one down to show the "quality" to the world? Maybe, though I doubt it. The conned don't like to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I genuinely believe there's a thriving market selling junk to rich idiots. Been trying to think up something to enter that market.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I genuinely believe there's a thriving market selling junk to rich idiots. Been trying to think up something to enter that market.

And poor ones! I'm poor and have some awful tat in fairness :pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    And poor ones! I'm poor and have some awful tat in fairness :pac:
    China says "hold my beer". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I used to be into antiques and the Victorians had watch stands for their pocket watches. They were made of different materials notably wood or pottery. I think a simple wristwatch stand to display ones watch by your bedside could be made in China covered in fake leather and would sell retailing for €10-20.

Maybe they've already done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I used to be into antiques and the Victorians had watch stands for their pocket watches. They were made of different materials notably wood or pottery. I think a simple wristwatch stand to display ones watch by your bedside could be made in China covered in fake leather and would sell retailing for €10-20.

Maybe they've already done it?

like this?

https://thewatchstand.com/

there are cheap versions obviously

id need my rug rats to get a little bigger before id try something like that, i use a breitling travel case with the foam insert and zip, safe :D

I made a stand like that for a pilots watch years ago. Out of wood like a section of aerofoil aircraft wing. I gave it to someone, again years ago. I'll try and dig pics up. Might do another actually. :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    China says "hold my beer". :D

I'm saving for a Pangolin! That'll really ingratiate me with our new overlords :D

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    like this?

Ahhhhm...
    Cyrus, link the cheap ones! :pac:

By a weird synchronistic quirk...
    I have been thinking about some kind of similar Airfoil type watch stand for the Accutron when it gets here.

Want something that will hark back to the Blackbird and tie in with a little SR-71 display I have when I'm not wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cyrus wrote: »
    like this?

id need my rug rats to get a little bigger before id try something like that, i use a breitling travel case with the foam insert and zip, safe :D

No that's not the kind of thing you'd slip into an overnight bag. Something like a solo watch case with a rigid flip cover that would serve as the base when it converts to a bedside watch holder for your night at a Premier Inn.

Birneybau wrote: »

There is. I imagine the guys at hodinkee sit around the table to pick a mental price out of their holes. Has to be ridiculous enough so people think it's possibly worth it, but not completely ridiculous so people won't buy it. Too cheap and people won't think it's exclusive or good quality. The €12k eggtimer was obviously too much. €1k and people might think it's a "bargain" and not good enough.

Just crazy when you see what you can buy for that money. It's the type of shít you'd see on Goop

Cienciano wrote: »
    There is. I imagine the guys at hodinkee sit around the table to pick a mental price out of their holes. Has to be ridiculous enough so people think it's possibly worth it, but not completely ridiculous so people won't buy it. Too cheap and people won't think it's exclusive or good quality. The €12k eggtimer was obviously too much. €1k and people might think it's a "bargain" and not good enough.

Just crazy when you see what you can buy for that money. It's the type of shít you'd see on Goop

i remember watching a Bentley documentary and they have a special unit for building customer requests. One customer wanted a picnic basket. It looked lovely... cost 44k...

i remember watching a Bentley documentary and they have a special unit for building customer requests. One customer wanted a picnic basket. It looked lovely... cost 44k...

Bentley has some good ones. A dashboard clock is €160k optional extra

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20151110-bentley-bentaygas-234000-option

Doug demuro's channel is amazing for stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Cienciano wrote: »
    Bentley has some good ones. A dashboard clock is €160k optional extra

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20151110-bentley-bentaygas-234000-option

Doug demuro's channel is amazing for stuff like that.

And now for the weekend score… - I think a watch review channel could use that format too :D

If anyone is in contact with FG outside the realm of boards?
    He may well have more than a passing interest in a thread over on the helpdesk at the mo ;)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/114161141

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Honestly you’d miss FG around this place - when does his holiday expire?

david wrote: »
    Honestly you’d miss FG around this place - when does his holiday expire?

Ya really would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

banie01 wrote: »
    If anyone is in contact with FG outside the realm of boards?
    He may well have more than a passing interest in a thread over on the helpdesk at the mo ;)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/114161141

Was wondering where he had gotten to, hopefully he’ll be back to us when his time is served

Advertisement