Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

funkyouup wrote: »

I reckon a better documentary would be the rise and fall of McManus watches.....

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

A 5 minute video would be giving that piece of **** to much attention:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A 5 minute video would be giving that piece of **** to much attention:)

I dont know....its a massively successful company and their success sheds light on what most people actually find important in a watch, and how easy people are to manipulate with promotions, endorsements and marketing.

The people who buy a MVMT watch likely get as much satisification as us on here with multi-thousand euro collections.

Maybe MVMT watches show up the entire luxury watch industry for the scam it is....after all these watches tell the time, are fairly reliable, are cheap and for the premium over the alibabba cost you get a little bit of marketing and branding coolness.

I think they are rubbish but I find them less pretentious than say Bremont or Christopher Ward and fall into the harmless category, or gateway watch.

I will watch the interview with great interest. Sounds like Teddy is growing some balls.

I was referring to mcanus.

Sorry I didn't recognize ones modus operandi. And thats all I have to say on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

That one of my personal favourites, it’s a champagne watch for lemonade money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

I would say Teddy is a complete tool, so far up his own ar$e in real life ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    I picked up a 4 pack of NATO straps for the grand total of £11.89 ;)
    Will stick up an opinion of tem at least when I have them tried out.

Received the straps this morning.
    I haven't fitted them to anything as yet so can't speak as to comfort but, the nylon material is a lot more flexible/forgiving than I was expecting at the price paid.

I was expecting it to be fairly rigid, it's not.
    The Bond and the Navy Blue are probably my favourites out of the selection, the tricolour is growing on me tho.

At the price paid I would have been happy with a Bond, the extra straps are a bonus and they are better than I had any right to expect them be really.

Will post an update after a little wrist time to let people know how the hold up.

488756.jpg

Will post an update after a little wrist time to let people know how the hold up.

Snuck the Bond NATO from this group onto my BDay present to sneak a comfort check while my Mrs is away overnight ;)
    I did promise a review of the strap on the wrist after all.
    Strap is comfortable enough, no real complaint on that front.
    The location of the fixed loop makes the buckle side strap just a tad short IMO but doesn't affect the comfort at all.

At €12.50 for an assortment of 4 straps delivered, I can't really complain at all.

I think I'll wear it til tmrw and hide it away before the boss returns

Goldsmith's in the UK having a sale with what seem at 1st glance to be big discount on Omega and Breitling.
    In my limited experience it's more that they are dropping the ticket price advertised to the actual sale price.
    Anyone have an opinion on their sale offering?

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/SALE/Luxury-SALE-Watches/
    These limited-time offers include £3,000 off the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M Co-Axial, and a huge £4,000 off the rose gold Constellation Co-Axial 27mm ladies watch.Goldsmith's current Omega discounts include three different models of Seamaster Planet Ocean 600m, each with a hefty £3,000 reduction.

There is also a £1,000 saving to be had on the Seamaster Aqua Terra 15m, and the Omega Constellation Globetrotter is down from £7,840 to £5,940.

As ever, Goldsmiths also offers finance options, where the aforementioned Seamaster can be had for £100.50 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

New to the forum, so hope it's ok to ask some advice/opinions. I'm looking at the the below IWC Mark xv. In my opinions its beautiful, but wondering about he price. Is it fair?

https://www.watchfinder.ie/IWC/Mark%20XV/IW325313/2009/item/131294

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

New to the forum, so hope it's ok to ask some advice/opinions. I'm looking at the the below IWC Mark xv. In my opinions its beautiful, but wondering about he price. Is it fair?

https://www.watchfinder.ie/IWC/Mark%20XV/IW325313/2009/item/131294

Its a ripoff. Here's the same watch from a legit dealer in the UK for 800 less, and that's the buy it now price! - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IWC-Pilots-Watch-Spitfire-Mark-XV-Gents-Size-Automatic-Ref-IW325313/153451450399?hash=item23ba6b501f:g:hEUAAOSwMUpcs1uB

Was browsing Reddit earlier and found a sub Reddit that is completely new to me, sparked my curiosity and may be of interest to our little corner of Boards.

There is a watch raffle sub, where users rather than directly selling their watch.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchURaffle?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
    List it for raffle with a price justification and a price set by that justified price / by number of tickets for sale.
    There has been some really fantastic pieces "sold" over there that way.

I may start buying raffle tickets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Was browsing Reddit earlier and found a sub Reddit that is completely new to me, sparked my curiosity and may be of interest to our little corner of Boards.

There is a watch raffle sub, where users rather than directly selling their watch.
    List it for raffle with a price justification and a price set by that justified price / by number of tickets for sale.

Interesting concept I must say and yeah some very nice watches.

I'm hoping one of our knowledgeable regulars can give me a steer as to an expected value?
    Friend has a 1962 Longines Flagship 9k in fair condition and recently serviced.
    Any opinions as to value?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon B between 7-800 quid, 1000 on a good day and depending on condition. Things like the original box and other stuff like that would add more. While Longines prices have definitely and more than rightfully strengthened in the last few years they still trail others like Omega. A similar Omega from the period would be at least double that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Quite a few people use this method to sell cars also. Raffle doesn't start until all tickets are sold. must check it out.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd reckon B between 7-800 quid, 1000 on a good day and depending on condition. Things like the original box and other stuff like that would add more. While Longines prices have definitely and more than rightfully strengthened in the last few years they still trail others like Omega. A similar Omega from the period would be at least double that.

Thanks Wibbs, he has €1800 in mind as a bargain price for it and tbh I thought he was stretching the appeal a little bit ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe if it was 18Kt gold, but even then.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm hoping one of our knowledgeable regulars can give me a steer as to an expected value?
    Friend has a 1962 Longines Flagship 9k in fair condition and recently serviced.
    Any opinions as to value?

If it was recently serviced your friend would be better off keeping it until the next service is almost due. The next buyer can then get it serviced.

Do you know what movement it has? Any pics?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Just watched this, and it wasn't bad, i think MVMT came out of it very well, they were open and seemed willing to talk about every aspect of their business and came out as the more likeable side.

blue5000 wrote: »
    If it was recently serviced your friend would be better off keeping it until the next service is almost due. The next buyer can then get it serviced.

Do you know what movement it has? Any pics?

I have a couple of pics that aren't the best quality so sharing them publically probably wouldn't do them any justice ;)
    I'll pm them to you if you are interested in a look tho?
    I'll ask him if he has any higher res available.

Edit
    It's a calibre 340, I can find one on chrono24 with no box/papers pitched at €2140 and is near perfect in the pics there.
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/longines/flagship-cal340-automatic-9ct-1962--id11535023.htm
    That may be where he is pulling his €1800 from?
    I always take chrono24 as at least 30% overpriced tbh but I know nothing at all about Longines or their desirability.

Time wrote: »
    Just watched this, and it wasn't bad, i think MVMT came out of it very well, they were open and seemed willing to talk about every aspect of their business and came out as the more likeable side.

I enjoyed it anyway, especially Teddy talking to the design guy who told him about the watch "restaurant".
    Think they came off as well as was possible under the circumstances. Quite the sucess story from a business point of view.
    Worst part was learning of the existence of that influencer with the mvmt one one wrist and a rolex on the other, absolute douche.

Worst part was learning of the existence of that influencer with the mvmt one one wrist and a rolex on the other, absolute douche.

Did you miss the "Alpha M" drama, people were loosing their minds

I just googled him there and wow, he's an even bigger douche than i first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So gents, does anyone have any suggestions about where to get 110/65 hands.

I've found this - https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hands-to-fit-minute-hand-hole-size-65mm-and-hour-hand-hole-size-1-10mm/

But is there anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Dropped into my local Omega shop here in the Middle East and was given a rough quote of €330 +/- 10% for a service on my seamaster. If I wait until I'm home at Christmas it will be July before I'm able to collect again at the earliest so I'd rather get it done locally. How does that compare to Irish/Euro service costs? Also how much should I expect to pay for a leather strap for my constellation. 18mm and I'd like to go genuine.

Time wrote: »
    I watched some of it, skipped through some sections but I believe I saw the salient parts.

Not really that interesting, mvmt are a fashion brand and (for me) there was no great mystery or anything that needed clearing up. They buy watches from ODMs and OEMs. They have some input in the design but mostly along the lines of multiple-choice. It's fairly standard for fashion watches.

I wouldn't waste my time or energy hating on mvmt or other fashion watches. I just have no interest in them, I wouldn't buy one, wouldn't recommend them to a friend.

• Advertisement

My U2 SDR was finally delivered this morning.
    Deal was done with a friend who was closing up a dive school and getting rid of stock and equipment he had accrued.
    Came with a silicon Sinn strap, that is IMO brilliant.
    Lovely buckle only issue I have with the strap is that its a "cut to size" version, so whilst now it fits me nicely...
    If I sell it on it has to be to someone with either the same, or smaller wrist size as me.

I got a great price on it IMO as it needs a little TLC, that said the case and crystal are in mint condition.
    Its only ever been used as a demo, and then on a different strap. It needs a service and due to being in a box and banged about for a while :(

I do need to get the hands adjusted as the seconds hand is occassionally rubbing over the minute hand and causing the hand to get hung up.
    Will post up a photo or 2 later, I'm very taken with the AR the glass is almost completely unnoticeable unless I smudge it.

Advertisement