Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    I do need to get the hands adjusted as the seconds hand is occassionally rubbing over the minute hand and causing the hand to get hung up.

Dropped the Sinn into JJ Kenneallys this morning to have the hand binding issue sorted and whilst its there I'll have them check the seals and pressure test it too.
    As its been sitting for quite a few years I may as well get it checked over before adding it to my nascent rotation ;)

I'll throw up a pic or 4 when I get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Does anyone know who DHL e-commerce hand packages off to once they get to Ireland. Do DHL try deliver it themselves?

I bought a watch that was then shipped with them which has supposedly had two failed delivery attempts and currently sat at the 'pick up point'. Nothing came through the door to say missed delivery or where to collect.

DHL customer support is being less than useful currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

No idea, but have heard multiple similar stories of logged failed attempts but no physical indication of such, eg card to say they called etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So I was able to track down the watch.

DHL sent it to London and then handed it off to a company called Interpost in Slough. They then sent it on to Ireland where An Post were to deliver it.

So An Post supposedly missed two deliveries, left no note and said it wasn't in their parcel collection centre when I checked with them during the week.

Hopefully they still have it on Monday morning so I can pick it up before work.

*Edit* and DHL tracking doesn't mention Interpost anywhere in the tracking information for the DHL e-commerce tracking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A few years back now after DHL tried to charge me a daft amount of "taxes" for books I ordered from overseas, when books are tax exempt here(as a general and very cool rule), I said never again. The pricks tried to pursue their course, but I told them to eff off via legal means and they slithered off. But never again will I use those gouging **** if I can help it. Ditto for ebay's global shipping ripoff and a couple of others.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Always wanted a green one, nice to read its comming back -

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news/the-alpinist-will-make-a-comeback-in-jan-2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭micks_address

funkyouup wrote: »
    Always wanted a green one, nice to read its comming back -

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news/the-alpinist-will-make-a-comeback-in-jan-2020
    Cool...I might go for a black one..seems like a price bump to about 650 euro?

Cool...I might go for a black one..seems like a price bump to about 650 euro?

Its looking that way Mick, even the used ones on chrono24 are marked at between 600-700, the more i look at the green one the more i think i need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

the more i look at the green one the more i think i need one.
    Same here. Will still like to see the black version as well

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

the more i look at the green one the more i think i need one.
    Same here. Will still like to see the black version as well

If the green one floats your boat, see if you can nab one of the current models around 400 euros as the new ones will probably be a lot more expensive. Unless the upgrade to 70hr reserve is worth the extra few hundred quid to you.

• Advertisement

Getting a used green one for 400 might be a problem, i havent looked that deep but from chrono24 and ebay their isnt much for less than 600. And its only number 3 or 4 on my most wanted list so it would need to be a serious bargain:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭micks_address

Getting a used green one for 400 might be a problem, i havent looked that deep but from chrono24 and ebay their isnt much for less than 600. And its only number 3 or 4 on my most wanted list so it would need to be a serious bargain:D
    While I was in the US there was a few around 450 dollars.. I sold mine for 450 euro.. it was in mint condition.. don't regret selling it but I would like a seiko around that size and price with a black dial so we'll see what new one looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Will the new ones be released in Europe?

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Will the new ones be released in Europe?

Never even occured to me it could be JDM only, its just a wait and see i guess.
    Came across this version also, referred to as a "Red Alpinist" because of red wording on dial, beautiful watch.

490191.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw this on reddit, thought it was worth a repost here, it looks that good. €800k though!

KavkAhq.jpg

Full thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/d3rjko/jaegerlecoultre_gyrotourbillon/

I'm considering doing a little Lume restoration and am looking for a steer from anyone here who does their own?
    1st off, none of the watches are old or even valuable ;)
    Nor radioactive.

I'm looking for advice on a good value Lume powder/binder?
    Along with a steer on the steps, I'm assuming remove old lume? Then apply new stuff slowly in thin layers?
    How best to remove old stuff? Q-tip and water? Or is a solvent of some kind needed?

Are these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F251911242063 any good?
    Or best avoided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Watchmaker completely dissembles a Rolex Submariner. Then you see a speed up single shot of him putting it all back together. Very satisfying.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

dinorebel wrote: »
    Watchmaker completely dissembles a Rolex Submariner. Then you see a speed up single shot of him putting it all back together. Very satisfying.

Tweezers, screwdrivers, and Mark 1 eyeballs - now thats how you do it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Being shortsighted, particularly in my left eye I generally don't even need a loupe. :eek: Though in fairness all I'm OKish at is taking them apart, getting them back together and working, now that's the trick. :D Particularly if the main gears are all under one plate. And all I've fiddled with have been time only handwinders and early quartz which are handily very modular(though I'm paranoid about static killing them).

If you want to try S the basic tools aren't so expensive and get an old and cheap pocketwatch to practice on. Though after getting OK with a pocketwatch movement, the first time I tackled a wristwatch was a whole other ballgame. Many many years ago the watchmaker my dad brought his watches to, would let me and the Da watch him work(mostly so him and the Da could talk about fishing :D) and I remember him saying that wherever he trained they would get the students to work on women's watch movements to text their skills. Movements that would be the size of a cent piece or even smaller. :eek:

Mad though how once your eye is in on those scales, working on something like a phone or laptop is barely worth a thought. You can fly around. So even if all you do is take apart a big pocket watch and through trial and error get it running halfway decently, I reckon it's a handy skill for your mind and hands. I knew a couple of watchmakers way back who were headhunted by Intel IIRC.

Actually medical types and particularly surgeons tend to be into watches and quite the few I've known IRL and on forums also have a go at watchmaking. Hmmmm.... "But doctor, the artery is only 3mm across, we can't suture that?".... "Hold my beer". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Really taken by the look of the Nomos club sport neomatik, anyone seen it on sale or secondhand for a reasonable price? Or recommend any alternatives that look similar?

I've been looking for some alternative straps for my U2 and while the H-Link is lovely.
    Tis a bit beyond my poor pocket at the moment.
    In my search I came across this pu12.1.6-Silcone-Rubber-Strap-in-Black-w-Red-Stitching.jpg
    It was delivered this morning and the strap itself is lovely, really supple rubber.
    The clasp is a bit on the "tin" side.
    If only there wasn't a taper, my Sinn buckle would already be on it.
    Great value too at $16.99 including delivery from www.strapsco.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Really taken by the look of the Nomos club sport neomatik, anyone seen it on sale or secondhand for a reasonable price? Or recommend any alternatives that look similar?

If you go for a similar watch you'll never really be happy. Wait for a used one, put a wanted post on some of the fora and save up in the meantime. Usually a few get offered for sale when something new is launched from Nomos as ppl trade up to the new one, register on the Nomos site for news. Is it the black dial you are interested in?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

blue5000 wrote: »
    If you go for a similar watch you'll never really be happy. Wait for a used one, put a wanted post on some of the fora and save up in the meantime. Usually a few get offered for sale when something new is launched from Nomos as ppl trade up to the new one, register on the Nomos site for news. Is it the black dial you are interested in?

Cheers, yup black dial one indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

FYI - alpinist (017) on TZ UK for 325 GBP, which is a shade under 350 euros. Looks to be in good condition. Bargain considering what they are going for now and will go for in the new release.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?458458-FS-Seiko-Alpinist-Sarb017

Probably for the best i dont have an account on there :) Wish i could justify it but i just dont have the cash for another watch, thanks though!

Was up late the other night struggling with pain relief.
    When in one of those happy quirkes of fate, I saw a lovely programme on BBC4.
    Nicholas Parsons, enthusing and investigating Breguet's Marie Antoinette watch.
    Lovely documentary, and Parson's love of clocks, clockwork and Breguet's innovative solutions and designs really shine through.
    Its on again on the 6/10 at 9p.m and is well worth a watch ;)

I'll get me own coat :P

Bloody fantastic documentary B and Nicholas Parsons is a brilliant host and guide and a true blue timepiece enthusiast/complete dingbat as well. And he's 93 FFS. I quote: "My passion for clocks started in the 1930's". :eek: If I had half his energy nigh on half a century behind him... :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bloody fantastic documentary B and Nicholas Parsons is a brilliant host and guide and a true blue timepiece enthusiast/complete dingbat as well. And he's 93 FFS. I quote: "My passion for clocks started in the 1930's". :eek: If I had half his energy nigh on half a century behind him... :)

It really is fantastic!
    Even leaving aside the technical brilliance of the watches...
    The story of the theft of the collection and its recent return could make a movie in and of itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ryath

Watched it myself last night great documentary. Had recorded it earlier this year but never got around to watching it and like yourself just happened to catch it yesterday. The watch really is an amazing piece of watchmaking history. Didn't know much about Parsons either he's quite an interesting character.

Advertisement