Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Wibbs wrote: »
    Could be this? Do you wind it until you can't wind it any more? It should have plenty of reserve over 24 hours on a full wind. A friend of mine inherited a handwind watch and he asked me to look at it because it was losing time and it turned out he wasn't winding it fully. He had the worry of "overwinding" it and breaking it. Unless you're a highland gorilla :D or take a pliers to the crown you can't overwind a watch.

So when I when I wind it, I'm winding it until it starts getting stiff to wind. I could wind more for sure but I guess I had the same fear as above that I might damage it. Should I wind until it won't wind anymore?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say yes. Wind until you can't wind it any more. The mechanism is designed to be fully wound and won't break. Even if someone was daft enough to take a pliers to a crown the crown is more likely to snap off than the mainspring breaking(unless it was a really old watch with a steel spring that was rusty).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd say yes. Wind until you can't wind it any more. The mechanism is designed to be fully wound and won't break. Even if someone was daft enough to take a pliers to a crown the crown is more likely to snap off than the mainspring breaking(unless it was a really old watch with a steel spring that was rusty).

Or a Heuer bund, or a really good bund homage :P

I only have 1 handwinder, its running an ST19 movement and 50 winds usually brings me to the point of noticeable resistance on the crown for the 1st wind if it's not been worn in a while.

I have the same habit as redlead with wearing my watch to bed!
    Glad I'm not the only weirdo that does it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For my manual winds I always wind until it can't be wound anymore (not just until some resistance) - like Wibbs states, manual winds are meant to to wound until the end (and it's likely the best time performance is from full wind rather than mid-wind).

And I take my watch to bed too... depending on how much bed activity there is (easy tiger - I mean shifting around in bed...which in Ireland actually means something else again :pac:)
    https://www.dailyedge.ie/getting-the-shift-3332738-Apr2017/

...it can actually add a bit of wind to an automatic movement too (which helps make up for a sedentary working from home state).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I sleep with my watch too, but that's probably because I'm still in the honeymoon period :p
    Unless you're a highland gorilla :D or take a pliers to the crown you can't overwind a watch.

Thanks for that Wibbs. It seems to be a persistent misconception that you shouldn't fully wind a watch, I thought that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

unkel wrote: »
    I sleep with my watch too, but that's probably because I'm still in the honeymoon period :p

I never wear anything in bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I never wear anything in bed. :)

The pertinent question is not what you wear in bed, but who you are sleeping with :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

^^The Rolex owner says he was stationed in Thailand 1973-76 and flew Air America. Air America was a secret CIA-financed airline, so the guy was probably part of CIA operations related to the Vietnam conflict.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks for that Wibbs. It seems to be a persistent misconception that you shouldn't fully wind a watch, I thought that too.
    It seems to be a long standing idea and you still see it from uninformed dealers who you see on ebay and the like saying a watch isn't working because it's "just overwound". I've even heard watchmakers wanting to pad a bill say the same, though that was before the interwebs. I'd reckon when automatics became more common around the 60's and 70's more people forgot about winding a watch and that informed the belief. These days when the vast majority of mechanical watches are autos and many newer buyers came from quartz, hand winders are a bit of a black area for many and understandably so. Even the definition of "mechanical" watch is usually conflated with "automatic".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

^^The Rolex owner says he was stationed in Thailand 1973-76 and flew Air America. Air America was a secret CIA-financed airline, so the guy was probably part of CIA operations related to the Vietnam conflict.

Just looked up the movie Air America (1990) with Mel Gibson,found he wears a Pepsi GMT-Master in the movie [Link]

Mel-Gibson-Rolex-GMT-Master.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I watched that nicky byrne and kodaline show last night. I think nicky had a speed master on a nato, the drummer from the band had a sub.

Anyway, the watches were worn to be seen, the cuffs were back, and the watch a feature of the style of each wearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Worth a look for anyone who isn’t a member he takes nice photos and has some lovely pieces !

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?486794-A-New-Year-2021-SOTC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Homer

Cyrus wrote: »
    Worth a look for anyone who isn’t a member he takes nice photos and has some lovely pieces !

“He takes nice photos” .. understatement of the year there lol
    Seeing them makes we want to get more creative with my watch pics!

Yeah nice but remind me a lot of stock publicity shots you see everywhere in the watch industry. I'd have preferred if he had put a bit of his own personality into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

He makes me want a 5513 badly always. And I don’t even like subs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Taking good photos is an art in itself

Not my proudest **** Omegagene but any port in a storm....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=537991&d=1609583471

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I think you deserve at least a weeks suspension from the forum for this! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Have read some great posts on Tz,must get around to making an account. Not a big fan of Rolex but this Air-King Date caught my eye

FRshs9m.jpg

Nice bit of history to go along with it [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

The older Air Kings are much nicer than the more recent variations I reckon.

Not a big fan of Rolex but this Air-King Date caught my eye

FRshs9m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Apologies for those that can’t view but the below caught my eye.

If you were told it was 2 years old you would believe it.

42 years and the design as fresh as today’s version.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?486823-FS-Rolex-Datejust-Rare-Blue-Buckley-16030

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks, if you buy a watch privately for say 300 euro from the uk. What happens if the buyer insures for full value re brexit?

You pay customs as it’s over 150 euro? What about vat?
    Thanks.
    Mick

Fitz II wrote: »
    Not my proudest **** Omegagene but any port in a storm....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=537991&d=1609583471

Should have added a NSFW tag to that attachment :P

Good photos make a big difference (when it comes to sales, advertising etc.) Just seeing how the professionals set up all their reflective pieces and lights makes my head spin.

Getting something lit well is more than half the battle in studio photography - Archie of course just looks naturally gorgeous :pac:

Hi folks, if you buy a watch privately for say 300 euro from the uk. What happens if the buyer insures for full value re brexit?

You pay customs as it’s over 150 euro? What about vat?
    Thanks.
    Mick

My understanding is that you will be importing from UK just like if you were importing from US - so anything over 22 euro is liable to Irish VAT (this exemption itself is being removed by Ireland later this year).

It does mean that currently if you buy cheaper goods from Amazon.co.uk like a 20ish pound watch tool etc - you get it cheaper as Amazon will remove UK VAT but won't impose Irish VAT - useful if you have Prime for free delivery and get a 15% discount off lower priced items.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    My understanding is that you will be importing from UK just like if you were importing from US - so anything over 22 euro is liable to Irish VAT (this exemption itself is being removed by Ireland later this year).

It does mean that currently if you buy cheaper goods from Amazon.co.uk like a 20ish pound watch tool etc - you get it cheaper as Amazon will remove UK VAT but won't impose Irish VAT - useful if you have Prime for free delivery and get a 15% discount off lower priced items.

So what’s the best thing to do if you want to avoid charges? Obviously you risk loosing an item but if the seller sends it tracked for 15 pounds it shouldn’t incur any charges? Will an post check all items to see if they might be due customs? Feels like would be a lot of post they need to to check?

You can get something posted to Northern Ireland to say friends and family and send down to Dublin without any charges?

Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

What's the craic with buying online from Switzerland? Would you be hit with extra costs when it arrives in Ireland?

*edit* did some searching in this thread and looks like it's a yes on the extra charges. 21% until March.

So what’s the best thing to do if you want to avoid charges? Obviously you risk loosing an item but if the seller sends it tracked for 15 pounds it shouldn’t incur any charges? Will an post check all items to see if they might be due customs? Feels like would be a lot of post they need to to check?

You can get something posted to Northern Ireland to say friends and family and send down to Dublin without any charges?

Thanks,
    Mick

Looks like you can have a gift sent under 45 euro and it’s exempt from charges?

Customs charges will not apply if the item is a gift with a value of under €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

hitemfrank wrote: »
    What's the craic with buying online from Switzerland? Would you be hit with extra costs when it arrives in Ireland?

*edit* did some searching in this thread and looks like it's a yes on the extra charges. 21% until March.

Correct - customs duty and VAT apply from Liechtenstein and Switzerland. If you are buying make sure they price it ex-VAT otherwise there’s a double liability. Was in discussion with an AD from the former on Chrono24 who was well versed in EU import tariffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks,
    Mick

Is the customs barrier now in the Irish sea for goods coming out of England? I think this is how brexit honoured the good Friday agreement. Everything's a bit up in the air at present.

I think I read on the parcel motel thread of someone ordering something from aliexpress and they had it the next day. Looks as if aliexpress have a depot/warehouse in the North.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Just on post. What’s the implications of selling a watch to a uk based buyer now? They are liable for import charges?

Advertisement