Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just on post. What’s the implications of selling a watch to a uk based buyer now? They are liable for import charges?

Yep, the watch will most likely be intercepted and then the UK buyer will have to pay 20% UK VAT on the total cost of the watch, including the cost to ship and insure + an admin charge for providing this service

You're better off trying to sell over here from now on. Or of course to a buyer in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, the watch will most likely be intercepted and then the UK buyer will have to pay 20% UK VAT on the total cost of the watch, including the cost to ship and insure + an admin charge for providing this service

You're better off trying to sell over here from now on. Or of course to a buyer in the EU

What about a watch bought before January and you are returning to retailer in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

OmegaGene wrote: »
    What happens in March ?
    I just bought a watch on eBay for 700 and the charges at checkout were alarming to say the least, so much for a deal and no tariffs

Goes to 23% from my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just on post. What’s the implications of selling a watch to a uk based buyer now? They are liable for import charges?

Yes - sadly as you are not a vat registered (in which case you could have taken off Irish VAT) it just means more cost for UK buyers.

Same for Sólás backers based in UK - I'm not yet VAT registered so there was no VAT on the Starlight models (good for Irish, not great for non-EU customers) - the next model will require VAT registration and it means there will be an increase in costs even from the fact that I'll need to add 21%/23% on final cost (I will be able to get the VAT charged on import refunded however but obviously vat on final cost is higher than vat on import cost.) So at that point I will be taking off Irish VAT for any non-EU backers in the future when exporting.

What happens in March ?
    I just bought a watch on eBay for 700 and the charges at checkout were alarming to say the least, so much for a deal and no tariffs

Unfortunately tariffs are different from VAT - apparently India imposes something like 50% tariffs on watch imports so it makes 0 sense for watch lovers to get a microbrand watch compared to say a Longines or an Omega

• Advertisement

Yeah sadly I hadn’t clocked onto that sooner, making the watch market all that smaller for us now sadly

We just need to learn more languages used in our EU neighbours - I'm sure lots of deals available in Germany and France :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Daily Mail so accuracy may be an issue but some might find it interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6452171/The-fascinating-stories-watches-iconic-people-history.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The thing that jumped out at me was Al Einstein's Longines has a later and wrong hour hand. /NERD!!! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

The image of Megan who wears Cartier.

Except in the one image they choose which shows her watchless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Bill Gates and Pops Francis both wear Casio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you use Instagram and follow some watch channels it would turn you off some of the more expensive models.

Great to see bill gates were a casio though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you use Instagram and follow some watch channels it would turn you off some of the more expensive models.

Great to see bill gates were a casio though.

Bill is a real everyman alright, with his 23 car garage in his 100m mansion and collection of Classic Porsche's including a super expensive 959.

Haha, he has given more money to charity than any other person who ever lived though in fairness to him.

Bill de Casio.

unkel wrote: »
    Haha, he has given more money to charity than any other person who ever lived though in fairness to him.

And thats a good thing, Rolex is a charity too so he should donate to them. He knows a lot about a great many things, and has achieved a great many things, however the guy is not into watches thats fairly obvious, so I dont know why his choice is given so much consideration, I doubt he thinks about it himself.

Fitz II wrote: »
    And thats a good thing, Rolex is a charity too so he should donate to them. He knows a lot about a great many things, and has achieved a great many things, however the guy is not into watches thats fairly obvious, .

It's not to me. No one needs to wear a watch today but Bill still has been seen wearing both the Casio Duro (Marlin) analogue diver which I own and the Casio W214H illuminator digital.

He's obviously a man with exquisite horological taste. :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rolex is a charity too
    Not quite. It's a non profit private foundation under a particularly(and typically) Swiss law. When Wilsdorf moved the company in its entirety from England to Switzerland after WW2, because of a post war bump in taxes on luxury items he set it up as a foundation under Swiss business law and some of the monies go back into charities through the foundation(IIRC he came to that part of things after his wife died around that time). As a private foundation it doesn't pay various corporate taxes it otherwise would and as a private foundation it doesn't have to post financial reports, nor does it report to shareholders or the market, so it's also a bit of interesting book keeping. How much the foundation actually gives to charity is like everything else about the internals of the company a closely guarded secret and under Swiss law it doesn't have to declare them, nor require a certain percentage to keep their non profit status. It could give lots to charity, or feck all, we'll never know.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite. It's a non profit private foundation under a particularly(and typically) Swiss law. When Wilsdorf moved the company in its entirety from England to Switzerland after WW2, because of a post war bump in taxes on luxury items he set it up as a foundation under Swiss business law and some of the monies go back into charities through the foundation(IIRC he came to that part of things after his wife died around that time). As a private foundation it doesn't pay various corporate taxes it otherwise would and as a private foundation it doesn't have to post financial reports, nor does it report to shareholders or the market, so it's also a bit of interesting book keeping. How much the foundation actually gives to charity is like everything else about the internals of the company a closely guarded secret and under Swiss law it doesn't have to declare them, nor require a certain percentage to keep their non profit status. It could give lots to charity, or feck all, we'll never know.

The joke doesnt really work with that explanation.
    It's not to me. No one needs to wear a watch today but Bill still has been seen wearing both the Casio Duro (Marlin) analogue diver which I own and the Casio W214H illuminator digital.

Does one ever own a Casio Duro (Marlin) analogue diver or is one just holding it for the next generation?

Does one ever own a Casio Duro (Marlin) analogue diver or is one just holding it for the next generation?

He's obviously too intelligent to fall for that Patetik philosophy.

The joke doesnt really work with that explanation.
    Oh you'd be surprised how often I've heard.read that charity thing said and believed in earnest. :D

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh you'd be surprised how often I've heard.read that charity thing said and believed in earnest. :D

Jeez tough crowd

Casio MRW200H
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bill is a real everyman alright, with his 23 car garage in his 100m mansion and collection of Classic Porsche's including a super expensive 959.

That's what makes him wearing a casio so good.

Good instagram page: https://instagram.com/celebwatchspotter

Ever wonder who buys the ridiculous coloured ROOs or terrible Richard Milles? Wonder no more

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Casio A159W worn by the great John Candy in one of my favourite movies,Planes Trains and Automobiles :cool:

ptacasio.gif.747e20065fa9fb864256e9ca5eb46837.gif

Unkle Buck is better

8KYpf-hW_400x400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

I am watching the sopranos (I know 10 years after everyone else) and lot of nice watches.

One episode had a Timex shown 5 times I would say that the fbi were using. I guess they were trying to show that’s all the FBI could afford while the mob were all about the gold day dates.

Casio A159W worn by the great John Candy in one of my favourite movies,Planes Trains and Automobiles :cool:
    "I have 2 dollars and a .... CASIO!" :)

Although the internet says it's an A159W, that's a modern 80s style watch, not a model that actually existed in the 80s. I have no clue what model it actually is, they made a lot of models in that style at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

893bet wrote: »
    I am watching the sopranos (I know 10 years after everyone else) and lot of nice watches.

One episode had a Timex shown 5 times I would say that the fbi were using. I guess they were trying to show that’s all the FBI could afford while the mob were all about the gold day dates.

Watched a video by The Urban Gentry about watches in The Sopranos, not a fan of his videos but found it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Any suggestions for sending watches insured to uk mainland? 1k to 1500 ish
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

That's good fun. My respect for Mark Wahlberg has just gone up a lot:

538328.jpg

538329.jpg

He even has the cool Weir's Patek!

538330.jpg

Also spotted that David Beckham's young lad wears a James Cameron. He's a model, so very skinny and he looks about 7st / 44kg. You can see that the weight of the watch is actually dragging him down to one side, he can't stand up straight and he has injured his biceps :eek:

538331.jpg

Advertisement