Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Mark Wahlberg has a really cool watch collection, and very few of the "bust down" nasty diamond watches. He has a lot of Rolex but he has some of the all time great complicated Pateks. Dont see him with all that much AP, mostly Patek and Rolex.

That Seadweller is hilarious on that boy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wahlberg seems to me a guy who likes watches and makes his own choices of what he likes. Many of the others give the impression they're either wearing them as freebies for premieres and the like or have a pet dealer who makes the choices for them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Oh yeah, add Jacob & Co to the richard milles and iced out patek in the "i just want something expensive on my wrist" brigade. Great that they include the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Unfortunately McGregor seems to have that green Patek too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I hoped nobody would mention that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mailforkev wrote: »

In fairness he has some lovely watches, that being one of the less nice ones imo

If you're worth several hundred million, like Mark Wahlberg, you might as well pick up the right accessory if you are going out to celebrate "St Patty's Day" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

The green one, McGregor's, is a Weirs anniversary watch I believe. I think they are beautiful, though I could never pull one off (or most likely afford one)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mailforkev wrote: »

I think there was only 25(?) made. I wonder what the list of owners looks like?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Jude13 wrote: »
    The green one, McGregor's, is a Weirs anniversary watch I believe.

See my post about Mark Wahlberg's one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If I found that a 'celebrity' like McGregor owned the same watch as me, I'd be forced to defenestrate it.

On the other hand...
    gettyimages-1199949939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

unkel wrote: »
    See my post about Mark Wahlberg's one ;)

Apologies, it was pre coffee.

I hope they all get the thrill us minions get of grafting and then eventually getting to buy a watch we love.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I hope they all get the thrill us minions get of grafting and then eventually getting to buy a watch we love.

In fairness to both of the above owners of the Weir's Patek, they haven't exactly sat on their hands / stayed in bed to make the money that they have made. So far play to them for buying expensive watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness to both of the above owners of the Weir's Patek, they haven't exactly sat on their hands / stayed in bed to make the money that they have made. So far play to them for buying expensive watches!

They bought them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

They bought them?

Actually very likely yes - when it's a limited edition of 25 even celebrities aren't given freebies.

Though Mark Wahlberg probably didn't buy it himself (since Weirs required for the buyer to turn up in person and were vetted to try and ensure they aren't just looking to resell elsewhere) - I think one of the green Pateks was resold for $500,000 recently.

So Conor probably bought it himself (I think there are photos?) and Mark probably got an Irish friend to buy it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Even more likely is Patek contacted Mark to see if he had interest.

These were all ready sold before anyone else even knew they existed.

Different world.

Boards Exclusive !!!

538390.JPG

It would depend on whether Mark is a long time Patek buyer - but entirely possible too - though it would make Weir's statement that they only sold to people in person and Irish vetted slightly less true.

All Ferrari Enzos were sold in advance to pre-selected customers. Makes luxury products all that much more luxurious when you know that others with enough money can't actually buy it and you were hand picked :D

Maybe it's a form of "thank you" to long time customers too - if they decide to move it on they know they will get a mark up on sale - i.e. 1 million euro Enzo goes on aftermarket for 3 million due to rarity - so offering a 1 million ferrari to you is a "gift" to you as an appreciated ferrari buyer.

Boards Exclusive !!!

I think you should stick to being a tourist. Not a journalist :pac:

BBBBBut I 'bought' that glossy magazine in Weirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Does anyone know what stage is customs at? If a package has been sorted in the parcel hub is it safe to assume that it has made it through?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Does anyone know what stage is customs at? If a package has been sorted in the parcel hub is it safe to assume that it has made it through?

Yep, customs is before sorting.
    If it's showing as sorted at portlaise or citywest it's all yours ;)

That doesn't mean customs charges aren't applied though.
    Anpost collect at the door.

Thanks Banie, I guess I will have to wait and see!

https://www.google.com/search?q=conor+mcgregor+patek&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk011MsJN45mNjCYKsmXdh3MZx7R4BQ:1609866225904&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=qSFfO7Pmdc8xMM%252Cgvjr2IPuz0MkjM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRVamZnPQEDAsRBtzT5pcMZGYwIoA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5k5-Eo4XuAhXiVRUIHVgxAcoQ9QF6BAgPEAE&biw=1920&bih=966#imgrc=MJuVvMmeKulHUM

Just had a search to see Conor McG wearing his green Weirs Patek and to be fair he does seem like to be quite a loyal patron of Patek in the first place anyway (3 pieces) - so maybe not too surprising he'd be offered model no.12 of 25 of the triple date Patek:
    https://thejjreport.com/sport/conor-mcgregors-watch-collection-worth-over-1million-including-timepieces-from-luxury-brands-rolex-and-patek-philippe-the-sun/

Has a pretty toned down Breguet too:
    NINTCHDBPICT000419905496.jpg

Oh and here's where I hear about the Weirs Patek - sold from Avi & Co (after getting it for the €90k I guess) to Grant Cardone for $500,000:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGqEZDilm4X/?hl=en

That's a nice flip that even Rolex submariner buyers can't dream of I guess ha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Imagine walking around with this lump on your wrist

Conor-McGregor-Instagram-@_thenotoriousmma-14.jpg

Cienciano wrote: »
    Imagine walking around with this lump on your wrist

Shudda bought a G-Shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/search?q=conor+mcgregor+patek&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk011MsJN45mNjCYKsmXdh3MZx7R4BQ:1609866225904&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=qSFfO7Pmdc8xMM%252Cgvjr2IPuz0MkjM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRVamZnPQEDAsRBtzT5pcMZGYwIoA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5k5-Eo4XuAhXiVRUIHVgxAcoQ9QF6BAgPEAE&biw=1920&bih=966#imgrc=MJuVvMmeKulHUM

Just had a search to see Conor McG wearing his green Weirs Patek and to be fair he does seem like to be quite a loyal patron of Patek in the first place anyway (3 pieces) - so maybe not too surprising he'd be offered model no.12 of 25 of the triple date Patek:
    https://thejjreport.com/sport/conor-mcgregors-watch-collection-worth-over-1million-including-timepieces-from-luxury-brands-rolex-and-patek-philippe-the-sun/

Oh and here's where I hear about the Weirs Patek - sold from Avi & Co (after getting it for the €90k I guess) to Grant Cardone for $500,000:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGqEZDilm4X/?hl=en

That's a nice flip that even Rolex submariner buyers can't dream of I guess ha :pac:

Hasn’t he been busted by ballerbusters as a complete fraud ? Based on that I’d doubt he paid half a million for a watch.

I don't really know who Avi or Grant C is so perhaps you're right (I did a quick wiki on Grant C and saw he's involved in the US undercover billionaire TV show?) If he's a billionaire 0.5 million would be peanuts potentially... if he's just the host of that show then could be a fraud - no idea(!)

In any case - I don't think Weirs (or Patek) will be giving me a call any time soon (except maybe Weirs to tell me an Omega service I ordered has come back in).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

New speedmaster launched

https://youtu.be/CizeeuIiZcI

Approx 6100 euro RRP for standard version on bracelet
    7k for sapphire sandwich.

Not in 5 million circuits of the moon would I pay it. Old versions will firm in price at least.

• Advertisement

What is with the dot over 90? Why is that a highlighted feature?

Advertisement