Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    What is with the dot over 90? Why is that a highlighted feature?

Speedmaster fans have become so detail orientated that the little pip over the 90 on the chrono track is now a feature. Some are missing this and its a nod to the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

What is with the dot over 90? Why is that a highlighted feature?

The truthful answer is because they hope it will influence Speedie fans to buy this watch.
    Pre-1970s Speedies had a dot over the 90 on the bezel. Apparently this is a big deal for some collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Is there a reason for it? I get the pip at 12 on a dive watch but don't really get why they would put one at 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is there a reason for it? I get the pip at 12 on a dive watch but don't really get why they would put one at 90.

Cos da speedie space rockets do be going 90 boss! :P

I don't really know, but sure I'm sure many of us are auld enough to remember "going 90" being a synonym for really fast ;)

Maybe Omega do too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Means nothing. There is a dot at each of the numbers on the scale. Back in the 70’s I think there was a short run ( or maybe it wasn’t short, not sure) where the dot was over the 90 vs beside the 90. Could have been a print error, who knows.

These are in demand as they are rare. Omega try to ride them horses hard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    Not in 5 million circuits of the moon would I pay it. Old versions will firm in price at least.
    I'm just sorry I didn't hold onto my 60's example. In fairness I sold it twenty years ago so.. IIRC I sold it on for just over a grand, made a modest profit on it too(I think I got it for 800). Probably worth six or eight times that now? Ten times on Chrono24, fifteen times on hodinkee. :D Then again twenty years ago the supply was much higher and the customer base much smaller and the main brands had yet to push new prices into the higher luxury end to nearly the same extent as today(though the seeds of that were sown by the mid 90's). Omega's new Speedy is just a continuation of that kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Is there a reason for it? I get the COCK AND BALLS at 12 on a dive watch but don't really get why they would put one at 90.

FYP

Omega-Speedmaster-3861-10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jesus, you see the male genitalia everywhere Fitz. Problem is, now we all do too. What has been seen...

unkel wrote: »
    Jesus, you see the male genitalia everywhere Fitz. Problem is, now we all do too. What has been seen...

I have a problem I really do, I need help.

Fitz II wrote: »
    I have a problem I really do, I need help.

Next time you are staring into a patients mouth.

You know that dangling thing at the back of the throat.

Tiny cock.

I just ruined your job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Tiny gonad(s) surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Tiny gonad(s) surely?

That's the tonsils! :pac:

I love tacky meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Could anyone tell me if there's a list somewhere of watchmakers? i.e. like the RGI site or something?

I've a pretty small job to get done on one of mine (Longines 67 diver bezel install) and I was looking at a local jewellers, who have told me the guy there is a watchmaker. I've no reason to disbelieve them, just want to see if I can substantiate that before handing it over. It would suit me better than going into town or to Fast Fix in Dundrum or some place similar.

I know people will tell me to do the install myself, but I don't trust myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Hey can I ask a favour, I'm in a competition with wrist check monthly to design their new logo and win a £300 watch

Woul you mind signing up herehttps://www.facebook.com/groups/wristcheckmembers/?ref=share

And voting for option 1 in the poll https://www.facebook.com/groups/wristcheckmembers/permalink/2768145193406597/

Cheers I'd really appreciate it ��

Wrist check monthly is a watch subscription service like watch gang and they are going through a relaunch at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reckon they're all scams myself

So while there are no tariffs etc it seems VAT may be applied in either direction on any private sale or movement of goods to/from the UK?

This really will kill the market here as it’s so small. Spending 2-3k on TZ doesn’t seem so appealing all of a sudden if there is a risk of 20 percent on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

More space for domestic microbrands to take off then ;) :P

But yeah - I think it means we have to look further afield to get more esoteric 2nd hand market pieces - I’m sure there are very good French/German marketplaces too.

Though on the other hand - Sterling has fallen 20% since Brexit too so adding on Irish VAT only brings it up to parity right?

There’ll probably be people sending stuff up North and collecting it then - and I guess for really expensive pieces flying over and collecting in person would make it more worthwhile than having it sent over to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    More space for domestic microbrands to take off then ;) :P

But yeah - I think it means we have to look further afield to get more esoteric 2nd hand market pieces - I’m sure there are very good French/German marketplaces too.

Though on the other hand - Sterling has fallen 20% since Brexit too so adding on Irish VAT only brings it up to parity right?

There’ll probably be people sending stuff up North and collecting it then - and I guess for really expensive pieces flying over and collecting in person would make it more worthwhile than having it sent over to Ireland.

It’s messy on all fronts. Used to buy the odd thing from electronic forums in the Uk on the av front and it’s no longer worth it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In pre interwebs face to face days I got most of my vintage stuff from the UK, but since then I can only think of 3 watches I've bought from there. The majority has been from the Eurozone, mostly France and Italy. The Italians in particular seem to have been into watches as a thing before it became one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Have been watching Knight Rider Historians lately on YouTube [Link], highly recommend anyone who is a fan of the show, they have interviewed cast/crew from the show and own two of the surviving screen used Trans Ams used as K.I.T.T.

Have started to watch through Knight Rider myself tonight and spotted a Seiko 6139-7070 "Baby Jumbo" in the episode 'Deadly Maneuvers' by the character General Duncton played by Alan Oppenheimer

9HU2Kco.jpg

k6ybizn.jpg

eywqxbj.jpg

:D Continuing on with spotting watches in Knight Rider

Season 1 Episode 5 Not A Drop To Drink

GVfPxBh.jpg

Seiko 6139 600x "Blue Pogue"

uRR8g7W.jpg

Also from the same episode, Devon Miles with the nato :D (Going by the guys over on Knight Rider Historians, they interviewed Edward Mulhares niece, according to her every time he touches he ear like in the picture, it was a way for him to say hello to his family on tv.)

E4vSGTt.jpg

Season 1 Episode 6 No Big Thing

Have no idea what it is but looks like something Wibbs would wear :pac:

2ZYD8o1.jpg

What's knight rider?

Have no idea what it is but looks like something Wibbs would wear :pac:

What?!! :mad:

1z5i0z.jpg

Yeah. To be fair... :D

What better way to spend a rainy day watching Knight Rider and hunting watches :)

Season 1 episode 12 'A Plush Ride'

EDIT: Seiko 6309-7040 worn by the character Redmond played by William Lucking

9JEPE57.jpg

bCYCKfD.jpg

What better way to spend a rainy day watching Knight Rider and hunting watches :)

What's knight rider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

TV show from the early 80's featuring pre Baywatch David Hasselhoff.

And a talking AI car called K.I.T.T

hitemfrank wrote: »
    TV show from the early 80's featuring pre Baywatch David Hasselhoff.

And a talking AI car called K.I.T.T

So a kinda Mr. Ed for motorheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I would say closer to a redneck batman really.

• Advertisement

What's knight rider?

TV series from 1982 starring David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight, a former cop who joins a fictional organization called The Foundation for Law and Government,fighting criminals about the law with a car from the future called The Knight Industries Two Thousand (K.I.T.T based on a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am)

More info [Link]

Another very important watch I haven't mentioned, The Comlink, a way for Michael to communicate with K.I.T.T

dShF4gT.jpg

I believe it's based on a real watch, A Gala Radio Watch

wJAimf2.jpg

Advertisement