Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    It was a new episode, filmed with social distancing and all.
    Had a look at that particular watch and it's auction, I'd be honest from just the personal history of the AR watch last night, along with its owner being pictured wearing it on duty and also in RN promo shots from the time, I'd expect it to blow past the 2018 sale easily.

The original owner was a RN rescue Diver, watch is untouched and the appraiser even commented on not just the rarity of the dial, but also the original bracelet.

The whole segment was lovely, the excitement of the appraiser and the original owners history would really make one's ears perk up.

edit
    Some screengrabs over here.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/good-old-bbc-antiques-roadshow-5513.125571/
    Ahh, now I see why the estimate was what it was B. It seems to be a personal item Rolex with a military history, not an MOD issued Milsub with the different hands, bezel and fixed lugs. Still with the originality, provenance, pics in action and rarity of the dial etc I'd expect it to pass the Roadshow valuation, but not near an issued Milsub.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cyrus wrote: »
    i think you might be overegging his UFC earnings, even if he has a net worth of 100m, spending 1% of it on one watch seems excessive.

Maybe he is worth 2-300m but id be surprised.

If he has 100m he us earning 4-5mil a year off it easy in interest and investments. Dropping a mil on a watch is nothing, nor is it dead money, has resale value. Just another asset. His whisky tastes like crap btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Fitz II wrote: »
    His whisky tastes like crap btw.

It's Scotch?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I would honestly go for Tesco Value Scotch before Proper 12. The most flavorless stuff I have ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

i think you might be overegging his UFC earnings, even if he has a net worth of 100m, spending 1% of it on one watch seems excessive.

Maybe he is worth 2-300m but id be surprised.

Making 3 -5 million show money plus ppv points. He has 4 of the 5 highest ufc ppv of all time, if he didn't seem like such a scumbag id be delighted for an Irish sportsman making so much money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Careful now. He beat up the last guy who said that. Convicted for assault. How he can still travel to the USA with a criminal record is beyond me though :confused:

If he has 100m he us earning 4-5mil a year off it easy in interest and investments. Dropping a mil on a watch is nothing, nor is it dead money, has resale value. Just another asset. His whisky tastes like crap btw.

You'd like to think he has some decent financial expertise in his corner ....... plenty folk have squandered millions but to be fair to him he doesn't seem to be madly lavish. The i8 was almost an ecobox :pac:

I'm not a fan of the chap but I'd hate to see someone who has done so well financially squander it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

stuchyg wrote: »
    Making 3 -5 million show money plus ppv points. He has 4 of the 5 highest ufc ppv of all time, if he didn't seem like such a scumbag id be delighted for an Irish sportsman making so much money

im always wary of the figures quoted by the news papers for all of these things, plus he has a full camp / entourage to pay and plenty of tax id wager as well.

And i agree with you, parts of what he has done are admirable, but he seems to have that link to very bad element (like many who came before him) that drags him down.

Augeo wrote: »
    You'd like to think he has some decent financial expertise in his corner ....... plenty folk have squandered millions but to be fair to him he doesn't seem to be madly lavish. The i8 was almost an ecobox :pac:

I'm not a fan of the chap but I'd hate to see someone who has done so well financially squander it.

ah he is spending it alright :D hsi wife has a lambo suv, and he appears to have a fleet of cars, plenty of private jets aswell. :D more power to him.

But dont ever underestimate a fighters ability to squander massive fortunes, Holyfield and Tyson being prime examples.

............. but he seems to have that link to very bad element (like many who came before him) that drags him down.

There's a smell of wannabe scumbag off him tbh. Throwing sh1t at parked buses and throwing a slap at a 50 odd year old who is seated on a stool with his back to him. Deplorable carry on but very much wannabe style.
    Fair enough he's been seen pinting with Graham Whelan but that's all part of the wannabe thing also IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

ah he is spending it alright :D hsi wife has a lambo suv, and he appears to have a fleet of cars, plenty of private jets aswell. :D more power to him.

But dont ever underestimate a fighters ability to squander massive fortunes, Holyfield and Tyson being prime examples.

Was holyfield swindled out of his or did he spend it. Shaq tells a story of going to a rolls Royce dealership with Tysoe who bought three without ever looking at the car even

ah he is spending it alright :D hsi wife has a lambo suv, and he appears to have a fleet of cars, plenty of private jets aswell. :D more power to him. .........

What was the old adage...... if it floats, flys or f***s ....... rent it :D

Augeo wrote: »
    What was the old adage...... if it floats, flys or f***s ....... rent it :D

lot of truth in that, the upkeep on some of these things is mental.

Private jet you can rent for 10s of thousands but owning one will run into 7 figures very easily without flying very far in just maintenance, and operational costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

lot of truth in that, the upkeep on some of these things is mental.

Private jet you can rent for 10s of thousands but owning one will run into 7 figures very easily without flying very far in just maintenance, and operational costs.

Alas needing a private jet (and yes there are people who "need" a private jet) 7 figures can make sense than going half way with renting (and not getting the exact time slots you need).

Read a good article about why anyone would "need" a private jet and one CEO reckoned that it gave him almost 3 months of his life back between not waiting for flights and flying directly to local airfields instead of airports. To some people 3 months of their life is well worth 5-6 million.

Time becomes the most precious resource in the end for the uber rich - a private jet might make more financial sense than a Jacob and Co watch or Bugatti Veryon :D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Alas needing a private jet (and yes there are people who "need" a private jet) 7 figures can make sense than going half way with renting (and not getting the exact time slots you need).

Read a good article about why anyone would "need" a private jet and one CEO reckoned that it gave him almost 3 months of his life back between not waiting for flights and flying directly to local airfields instead of airports. To some people 3 months of their life is well worth 5-6 million.

Time becomes the most precious resource in the end for the uber rich - a private jet might make more financial sense than a Jacob and Co watch or Bugatti Veryon :D

i know someone who uses them extensively who has toyed with buying one, and even though its the thing he likes more than anything else about being rich he is still hesitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I would honestly go for Tesco Value Scotch before Proper 12. The most flavorless stuff I have ever tasted.

It’s just some labelled stuff produced in Kerry. Nothing mcgregor about it. That said if he like what he spends his money fair play to him.

It's Scotch?

Its blended Irish Whiskey only product of scotland can be called scotch. The scottish would be gutted anyone would think that bog water is Scotch.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Its blended Irish Whiskey only product of scotland can be called scotch. The scottish would be gutted anyone would think that bog water is Scotch.:D

But this guy, what's his name McGregor(?) he's gotta be Scottish with a name like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

But this guy, what's his name McGregor(?) he's gotta be Scottish with a name like that.

Blended Irish

63784478.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I read somewhere that he used to be on boards. Maybe I just spend too much time on here.

Fitz are you going to revive the 5 watches for a tenner thread?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that he used to be on boards. Maybe I just spend too much time on here.

Fitz are you going to revive the 5 watches for a tenner thread?:D

Yeah need to revive that, I have rules for the next one all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Its the jazzmaster maestro I am after, its a chrono!

h32766513.png

ALert Alert

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/hamilton-aviation-automatic-price-drop/19667644

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

ALert Alert

Nice watch but a bit too far in looks from what I am looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Yeah need to revive that, I have rules for the next one all set.

I assume UK are now outside scope of the rules......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In very general terms Mc is Irish, Mac is Scots. Hell Scotland itself gets its name from Ireland, as Scotti was the generic term for the Irish Gael as far as the Classical world went. Later on they amended it for clarity regarding place of birth. EG John Scottus Eriugena. He of the old five punt note.

1983-b-series-c2a35-banknote.jpg

Roughly translated as; John the Gael, born of Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fat bloke wrote: »

Cheapest one in good condition, on chrono24, full set, in the EU is €450. That price would have some room for negotiation and includes the sellers fee (iirc 6.5%). So, no not a good deal imho. If I were selling, I'd put it up for €440 and would accept €360 or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapest one in good condition, on chrono24, full set, in the EU is €450. That price would have some room for negotiation and includes the sellers fee (iirc 6.5%). So, no not a good deal imho. If I were selling, I'd put it up for €440 and would accept €360 or so

Is the €360 to allow for a €400 profit when you flip it ???

Advertisement