Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Moving Abroad - Possibly Canada

2»

Comments

RayCun wrote: »
    But you'd have no problem paying rent for the same period?

yeah - and the rent is only €800 per month - happy days.

Lots of people don't want to get a mortgage. What's wrong with that?
    My brother is in his 50's and has lived in Geneva and now Brooklyn NY. He's rented all his life. My daughter is in Vancouver renting for 5 years, my other daughter in London, also renting. All in good jobs too. Buying and getting a mortgage isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

You either have to pay rent or a mortgage. If principal + interest is less than rent then you can afford it.
    I'm not from Dublin and would love to be able to rent a decent 3 bed house where I am for €800 a month.

Yes, i know we're very lucky. I don't take that for granted! It is always in the back of my mind that it is not my house though and the situation could change and we have no control of that. At the same time the thoughts of a 25-30yr loan not ideal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

yagan wrote: »
    I've lived in Australia too and can cite the money wasted on aircon in homes that could be insulated against heat.

To look at it purely from a tax save point of view then I'd be better just working under half the year in NZ and Aus, claiming back non-resident tax, rinse and repeat every year (as many do) but that's not a life. At some you got to settle somewhere.

What you end up needing to pay for indirectly leaves you worse off in NZ. I really loved NZ, miss the cheap venison, some great scenery and definitely a better sense of humour than aussies, but to go there because of taxation is just a non runner.

As I said, taxation is just one consideration, there is also climate and health care. Airconditioning costs are negligible compared to heating and they are optional - heating isn't. Can you put some actual numbers on these 'indirect costs' I'd like to know what you consider them to be as they obviously must be pretty substantial for you to refer to them.

You're talking about having €60k for a €300k house, so your mortgage will be €240k, you won't get even close to paying €150k over the lifetime of that in interest.

What kind of interest rates do you think you'll get in Canada. They between 3.15% and 4% here and pretty much the same in Canada https://www.superbrokers.ca/tools/mortgage-rates-comparison/

Over 30yrs with Ulsterbank at €1100 per month, it's €396k and that's if I'm luck enough to have a €60k deposit.

No intentions of buying in Canada.

RayCun wrote: »
    Over the lifetime of a 20 year mortgage?

I haven't worked it out as I haven't had a mortgage for a while, but my own circumstances are that after many years of home ownership, I am probably looking at break even when I sell and more likely a loss, if taking into account inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

RasTa wrote: »
    Go. Great place. Vancouver the best imo super hot summers and normal winters.

Normal winters but as a result full of homeless crack heads from the rest of the country that dont want to freeze to death in there own city during winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lots of people don't want to get a mortgage. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong at all, and renting should be a more supported option.
    It seems a bit contradictory to object to interest but not to rent, is my point.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I haven't worked it out as I haven't had a mortgage for a while, but my own circumstances are that after many years of home ownership, I am probably looking at break even when I sell and more likely a loss, if taking into account inflation.

I don't think that's typical.

I guess for both comments, I'm saying you have to compare the cost of renting to "house price + interest + property tax - expected value of property at end of mortgage".
    At 800/month, renting could well be better value

My current inclination would be to invest the proceeds from selling my house and to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I wouldn't do it op, I've done nearly 2 years in Canada and its a paper chase, first time I ever ended up in debt was there, but that seems to be the way of life. I tried warning a mate of mine who was adamant he was going only for him to come back a year later and tell me everything I told him was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Everyone should read last Saturday Irish times article on renting I cant link it but you might be able to find it somewhere.

Very big difference between a well off professional renting in a country with a culture of long term renting and middle-aged people with insecure or middling paid jobs in Dublin and renting in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You are not taking in to account the fact that you were housed when you had the mortgage if you had not had the mortgage you would have been paying rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You think Irish people can stand criticism of Ireland and are not thin skinned about it?

Every time someone on Boards talks of emigrating there is is fairly substantial number of people who don't take kindly to the implied national criticism.

I have now lived in Ireland for over 20 years and, to put it diplomatically, Kiwis wouldn't be the only people who would have those characteristics you refer to.

Things I don't like about my own tribe too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is it not really difficult to migrate into Canada, like magnitudes harder than the U.S. and Australia? They'd be looking for special skills unless you have a relative/spouse who is Canadian or you are rich.

Anyway try. This country is a kip to be fair. Funny how my friend from Botswana even said Ireland is the "third world of Europe" lol. he was comparing it to the states obviously.

Does anyone know as well if you can migrate if you're HIV positive? I heard that renders you medically inadmissable.

Ireland has among the highest quality of life in europe,and the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ireland has among the highest quality of life in europe,and the world

You're clearly confusing GDP-PP (gross individual wealth) with overall 'quality of life' (once deductibles and factors are accounted for).

Yes it scores in the top5 on the Human Development Index (HDI) but that is only a composite statistic of life expectancy, education, and income per capita indicators.

It doesn't factor any deductables such as: crime, housing (x7 average salary for decent city pad?), pollution, unpaid-overtime and hours sitting in traffic jams, taxes, various living costs, health costs, sanatation, public transport, public facilities, weather etc etc.

When it does, it's way into the double-digits.
    Other 'Quality of Life' Indices put Ireland position 17 of 34 in Europe.

Citywise Dublin would rank close to London around 40-60th spot.
    Mercer's city index puts Vienna, Zurich, Auckland, Vancouver, Munich leaps and bounds ahead of any Ire or Uk city.

One EU city that has taken a rank tumble in recent years is Stockholm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Normal winters but as a result full of homeless crack heads from the rest of the country that dont want to freeze to death in there own city during winter.

They all stay in Hastings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Wasn't there a poll back in 2010 that said Ireland/UK were the worst nations to live in Western Europe? High suicide rates, high tax, lowest amount of sunshine, etc..

France and other Southern European nations were voted as the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭mulbot

Moved to Vancouver in 2014 with partner and child.(well lived just outside in port moody) loved the area etc, but bear in mind the expenses of the place in general. Rent, property costs, food, childcare all far more expensive than Ireland. Winters are crappy grey misty continuous rain, its what keeps the place so green, you might get a few days of snow in the downtown areas and surrounding suburbs. Plenty up around Whistler. I found it definitely wasn't a case of the grass is greener and that's why we moved back(nice experience though) . Pm me if you want more info.

I wouldn't do it op, I've done nearly 2 years in Canada and its a paper chase, first time I ever ended up in debt was there, but that seems to be the way of life. I tried warning a mate of mine who was adamant he was going only for him to come back a year later and tell me everything I told him was right.

Thank you! It's good to hear other people's experience's rather than just the good parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I find that many people that move abroad because they see the grass being greener on the other side move for the wrong reason. There simply isn't the land of milk and honey out there.
    There's no point in going on a nationality rant, f*cking off and then realise that you're the stranger abroad that has huge difficulties settling in.

It's perfectly acceptable to move out of personal reasons, maybe because family situations are difficult, there's a genuine chance you can improve your career you're passionate about or simply for a partner. Or even wanting to give your children a better shot in life because the standard of living is a lot higher and you can legally move.
    Think about what you'd like to gain from this move in the long term.
    Think about the ups and downs the society in another country brings.

I moved over to Ireland a few years ago and let me say I don't regret it, all in all it's a great country. Now I struggled a lot settling in, I came to accept that I'll never fully belong because I was brought up with different values. Some things about society I genuinely can't understand, some things I absolutely love. Sometimes I miss having amazing cakes and a good loaf of bread.
    But all these little things aside I benefitted hugely from this move because I come from a complex and difficult family background and this distance made me realise that I can only be my best when I'm not living on top of my relatives.
    The grass isn't greener in Ireland but all in all I absolutely love living here and it's a price I gladly pay for my overall increased happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

RasTa wrote: »
    They all stay in Hastings

They are all over the city. I seen them everywhere. i looked over my shoulder more times than any other city i lived in thats for sure. I had to go down hastings plenty of times aswell as i had a friend who lived near there. Its one crazy street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement