Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying tonight during Storm Hannah

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We're all rooting for you here but yeah, the incoming is in a hold so I reckon it'll be off to Dublin and yours will be cancelled (or you'll be bussed to DUB)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are currently discussing what to do in the hold may divert to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Yeah, we're all in the boarding queue, flight is circling overhead In Shannon trying to land currently, but may be diverted to Dublin, in which case, its game over.

Thanks for all the replies guys, you're keeping me going! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

on fourth circle - they seem determined to try and land :)

Gusting 60 knots they are diverting now

• Advertisement

Yeah, diversion. Booo... sorry OP. Hopefully you get bussed up or something and get out even if its a bit late

Yeah, looks like it's on it's way to Dublin now. So game over :(

Strangely (and frustratingly for OP). Looks like LGW flight is descending to try a landing...

EDIT: Seems they just dropped to 22000 perhaps for flight comfort.

Diverting Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Couple of Aer Lingus Regionals approaching Cork. If the Ryanair plane is currently in a holding pattern, what chance do those lads have? Would not like to be a passenger on those flights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

I certainly don’t envy the turboprop passengers on their way into Cork from Manchester right now

TPMP wrote: »
    Couple of Aer Lingus Regionals approaching Cork. If the Ryanair plane is currently in a holding pattern, what chance do those lads have? Would not like to be a passenger on those flights!

Yeah, I've noticed that too. ATR must have higher limits than 738?

Lower limits actually. But the ATRs can use Runway 25 at Cork which has more favourable wind direction at the moment. Runway 25 is not long enough for the jets, they have to land on 16 which has a crosswind that is (way) out of limits tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    I certainly don’t envy the turboprop passengers on their way into Cork from Manchester right now

Rather be one of them who get to land at their destination rather than hold for an hour and then divert.

Lower limits actually. But the ATRs can use Runway 25 at Cork which has more favourable wind direction at the moment. Runway 25 is not long enough for the jets, they have to land on 16 which has a crosswind that is (way) out of limits tonight.

Yup, was just checking Wiki for rwy lengths and realised that was reason.

Give those Pilots 10 out of 10 well done

Waiting to try and get a hotel room from Ryanair now.

It's howling with the wind here in Shannon now and sounded very eerie, like something out of a horror movie.

Anyone know if I'd be entitled to claim under EU261 as I've lost out on a fair chunk for a non refundable hotel I have paid for in England.

Don't have travel insurance unfortunately as it was a last minute trip that came up.

Any chance of recouping some costs under EU261?

Never been in this situation before so it's new to me

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

To the best of my knowledge, EU 261 does not provide for compensation where flights are delayed or cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. So it’s a tough break there, unfortunately. Hopefully they might get you on your way in the morning.

Yup, 261 does not cover for weather delays/diversions. Out of the airlines control.

Maybe worth sweet talking the hotel, saying its a weather cancellation, great hotel, would love to stay there again, fantastic customer service, blah blah blah. You mightn't get anywhere at all but its worth the email!

no airline will risk flying during this

*clears throat*

• Advertisement

faoiarvok wrote: »
    *clears throat*

Sure, we all know that some people with no actual expertise or knowledge talk complete and utter..... you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Joegriffin2019

Ahhh OP gutted!!! Was following thread and hoping your plane got down. Anyway hope you managed to get somewhere for the night.

So guys, just to update;

Flight got cancelled, luckily got put up in the Radisson in the grounds of Shannon Airport, I had visions of slumming it on some hard moulded plastic chairs for the night, so not too bad.

Got booked on a flight out of Dublin to Manchester, so en route there as I type.

Hasn't been a complete disaster, been making lots of travel buddies along the way, so just making the most of it.

The 6.25 bus from Shannon to Limerick was either running late or a no show, so got a taxi from there to Limerick to nab the bus to Dublin.

Gonna be a long day yet of more travelling, hut hey, these things happen, it's only a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

As an aside, anyone know if I can claim back taxi costs and possibly a breakfast in Dublin Airport?

We were given any meal or drinks vouchers yesterday so all I've had to go on the past 24hrs was a quick sandwich at the airport yesterday evening.

By the time the flight was cancelled all places had shut up shop for the night and the hotel had stopped serving as it was about midnight by the time I got there between all.

Not looking to take the piss, but some reimbursement for out of pocket expenses would be appreciated after all the setbacks.

Thanks for all the info yesterday guys, I was updating everyone in the queue as everyone assumed everything was hunky dory as they called us for boarding and were checking boarding passes etc... Your expertise and help was most appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Morby wrote: »
    So guys, just to update;

Flight got cancelled, luckily got put up in the Radisson in the grounds of Shannon Airport, I had visions of slumming it on some hard moulded plastic chairs for the night, so not too bad.

Got booked on a flight out of Dublin to Manchester, so en route there as I type.

Hasn't been a complete disaster, been making lots of travel buddies along the way, so just making the most of it.

The 6.25 bus from Shannon to Limerick was either running late or a no show, so got a taxi from there to Limerick to nab the bus to Dublin.

Gonna be a long day yet of more travelling, hut hey, these things happen, it's only a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

As an aside, anyone know if I can claim back taxi costs and possibly a breakfast in Dublin Airport?

We were given any meal or drinks vouchers yesterday so all I've had to go on the past 24hrs was a quick sandwich at the airport yesterday evening.

By the time the flight was cancelled all places had shut up shop for the night and the hotel had stopped serving as it was about midnight by the time I got there between all.

Not looking to take the piss, but some reimbursement for out of pocket expenses would be appreciated after all the setbacks.

Thanks for all the info yesterday guys, I was updating everyone in the queue as everyone assumed everything was hunky dory as they called us for boarding and were checking boarding passes etc... Your expertise and help was most appreciated! :)

Morby, put it down to experience....that's the joys of air travel. Hope the onward journey goes well. :)

That's all, it could have been much worse, no one was injured or died, these things happen, all part and package of travelling, I've probably been lucky so far in that it's my first time to experience such an event, it's no big deal by a long shot.

Live and learn as they say! :)

Pity they couldn’t get you something out of Shannon but glad to hear you’re somewhat sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I’d check with Ryanair. While your not entitled to 261 compensation, they still have a duty to look after you including the cost of the bus to Dublin.

I’m not one hundred percent sure but I’m 99 percent certain they still have a duty to look after you. They’d have had to bus all the passengers that got diverted back down to Shannon.
    Plus something to eat. Look into it once you get to Dublin and maybe follow it up with an email during the week. Enjoy your trip anyway.

Oh. Another note. Take out annual travel insurance. It’s only a few quid and is piece of mind and would have covered you for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Yip just checked. While your not entitled to compensation to compensation you are entitled to be looked after. Keep all your receipts. They’ll prob say that cause it was weather related they donT have to offer you anything, thats just Ryanair being Ryanair.

Google flightrights.ie

Thanks everyone!

Just boarding the new flight from Dublin now, beautiful day here, you'd never think that Storm Hannah wreaked her revenge last night.

Fingers crossed this one goes without a hitch!

I'll see you all on the other side :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You are entitled to out of pocket expenses, so the cost of the bus to Dublin is on Ryanair also your breakfast.

Advertisement