Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens in the event of a cancelled flight during a storm?

• 26-04-2019 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I'm due to be flying out from Shannon tonight at 9pm just as Storm Hannah is in full swing.

So I'm really dubious of the chances of the flight leaving at all.

In the event that it's cancelled, what would I be entitled to under EU261, if anything at all seeing as its due to weather?

I'm getting a bus to Shannon, and if its cancelled, probably won't be able to get a bus home as the storm will be in full swing by then and I can foresee buses being cancelled.

So if its cancelled, I'll be stuck in Shannon. Flight is with Ryanair, do they have to put us up in a hotel for the flight?

Food and drink vouchers?

I'm due to fly out tonight and back Monday, so if they were to put us on the next available flight out, unfortunately I don't think that is until Monday so would be of no use to me.

Would like to know what normally happens in these scenarios if anyone is familiar.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

travel insurance ?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Don't think EU261 will apply because the weather is not within the control of the airline. I was due to fly on one of the snow days last year with Ryanair. They cancelled the flight and a full refund of the flight cost was offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Morby

Don't have travel insurance atm, this was an unexpected trip that just popped up last minute.

I don't mind the cost of the flights, they were cheap, but I have fairly expensive accommodation booked the other end that I'll have to forego if the flight is cancelled as it was non-refundable.

I hate not knowing whether I should make my way to the airport or not, very hard to know what to do. I'll have to keep checking the latest weather reports.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Morby wrote: »
    Don't have travel insurance atm, this was an unexpected trip that just popped up last minute.

I don't mind the cost of the flights, they were cheap, but I have fairly expensive accommodation booked the other end that I'll have to forego if the flight is cancelled as it was non-refundable.

I hate not knowing whether I should make my way to the airport or not, very hard to know what to do. I'll have to keep checking the latest weather reports.

Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Morby

Thanks, appreciate it. :)

Fingers crossed anyhow!

• Advertisement
Advertisement