Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim Glens 200km Sportive 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

God that was a savage spin last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Missed it last year but hoping to give the 100k a go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cliodhna96

Hi I'm one of the volunteers who works on the Leitrim Glens Sportive every year. I am not trying to promote the event on this thread. I was wondering, as ye have completed the event, do ye had any advice on how to reach other interested cyclists? We are trying to increase the number of participants this year. We have basic social media (Facebook, Instagram) and some interviews on local radio.

Any advice would be really appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maybe contact as many local clubs as you can in the local area and ask them would they mind posting about it on their social media?
    Most clubs will try to keep member up to date on events happening locally so make sure they don't leave your event out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Presume it's on the cycling Ireland leisure events calendar? I did it last year but forgot about it this year. This thread reminded me of it so promoting it here is as good a place as any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cliodhna96

fat bloke wrote: »
    Presume it's on the cycling Ireland leisure events calendar? I did it last year but forgot about it this year. This thread reminded me of it so promoting it here is as good a place as any.

Yes it is. Oh brilliant! The registration is online only this year and closes on Thursday 15th Aug.
    Trialling it online only to help plan the amount of food needed at the food stops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Cliodhna96 wrote: »
    Yes it is. Oh brilliant! The registration is online only this year and closes on Thursday 15th Aug.
    Trialling it online only to help plan the amount of food needed at the food stops etc.

Myself and the wife are hoping to take part this year - we went up for a spin around Lough Allen using the route from another sportive I did a few years back (might have been your club actually? Was in October). Was a great spin, she loved the views back down over the lake as we headed up around by the windfarm.

But anyways - just on the 'online only' thing if I may:
    I do understand why of course (I've organised sportives in the club I used to be with), but if it were feasible I'd hold off with the cut-off as late as possible just because of weather. Even until the Saturday at noon if that was possible?

Just as an example this is how we judge it -
    Say it's the Thursday, and the forecast is looking a bit 'meh'....maybe 50/50 for a poor day on Sunday, then I'd probably not enter it. Again we add in petrol, it's an 80-eur commitment for us.
    So then along comes the forecast on Friday evening or Saturday - looks better now, might even be a nice day, but it's too late then to enter.

I know people have to be making food and need a good idea of numbers etc, and so it's hard to leave it late for closing entries. But anyways...if it was possible to extend that cut-off, I think that'd be a good thing to consider doing.

Love the website page for it by the way - and them new signs yee got look brilliant! well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

That sportive looks fantastic.
    I doubt I'll get to it this year but it's definitely on the list.
    Nice to see local authorities rowing in. A much more logical location than Kerry or Conamara or west Clare to stage a big sportive in. In theory at least, it's a good sized county with small population and scenic rugged terrain, perfect for attracting cycle-tourists. Everybody wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I'm staying in Dromahaire that weekend ;-) would be nice to do the 100km but don't think I'll get a pass. Was hoping to cycle home to Dunshaughlin instead

Advertisement