Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail Camera recommendation

• 26-04-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for the above? I’ve been looking into them but the range is huge, no glow and low glow etc etc. My main preference is something that won’t attract enough attention to it self to get stolen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Variations on price,name and retailers.but you shouldnt pay more than 70 quid for one of these days,on Ebay Wish or Ali express.Have used them for four years,then they die from our Irish rain .They are the easiest to use,as they are or were Meteor chip compatible.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=trail+cam&rlz=1C2GGRV_enIE751IE751&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH3pCGyu3hAhXUqHEKHUp2Dy8Q_AUIDygC&biw=1292&bih=599#spd=1216392046438676269

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yea agree with Grizzly 45. The cheap ones off Wish etc are very good for the price. They do what their meant to do, and you get a few years out of them. Between theft, and damp weather, it's not worth paying big bucks for one IMO. LIDL have one for 90 euro, coming up shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Eddie B wrote: »
    LIDL have one for 90 euro, coming up shortly

Yesterday -

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=18669

311961_07.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Ended up buying an apeman one from amazon.de. Amazon.uk won’t ship them to Ireland apparently.

J.R. wrote: »

Robbing F"""rs!!!:eek:
    Ancient technology that has no SMS function.They are going for 30 quid out of China with free postage.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Robbing F"""rs!!!:eek:
    Ancient technology that has no SMS function.They are going for 30 quid out of China with free postage.

What does the SMS function do.

Kran wrote: »
    Ended up buying an apeman one from amazon.de. Amazon.uk won’t ship them to Ireland apparently.

Which Apeman Kran.

What does the SMS function do.

Sends you the pics straight to your email or phone.And if you can figure it out,it will also send a movie clip to you if you so shoose of what triggerd it .

Sends you the pics straight to your email or phone.And if you can figure it out,it will also send a movie clip to you if you so shoose of what triggerd it .[/quote

What is the approximate cost of such a function.

Is there an issue with which IR it has. Some have 940 nm. Others 850 nm IR. Which is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Went for this one APEMAN Wildkamera Fotofalle 1080P Full HD 12MP Jagdkamera Weitwinkel Vision Infrarote 20m Nachtsicht Wasserdichte IP66 Überwachungskamera mit 2.4" LCD Display https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07KPFSGCN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vMiXCb0KDAXZE

The 940 is harder for animals and humans to see apparently.

Kran wrote: »
    Went for this one APEMAN Wildkamera Fotofalle 1080P Full HD 12MP Jagdkamera Weitwinkel Vision Infrarote 20m Nachtsicht Wasserdichte IP66 Überwachungskamera mit 2.4" LCD Display https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07KPFSGCN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vMiXCb0KDAXZE

Can't find it on the GB website. It has a viewing screen which is a must on a trail cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sends you the pics straight to your email or phone.And if you can figure it out,it will also send a movie clip to you if you so shoose of what triggerd it .[/quote

Cameras are about €70 - sms card and a monthly charge of about €10 -

Chiparus wrote: »

Cameras are about €70 - sms card and a monthly charge of about €10 -

If they are nearby not worth it. But other than that excellent value for money.

Between 40 and 250 euros.Depending on whom you buy the camera off.It's an inbuilt function in the more "advanced "[Now over 6 yerars since I posted about them here first] models.
    MYTH!! The Infra red flash only activates for micro seconds to take a picture in darkness and stays on for as long as you have set for a movie clip.What alerts animals is the shutter noise and the electronic micro whirr.It doesnt seem to bother them mind,they just jump t on hearing it ,or look in the direction of where the noise is. Solution is simple,put the camera ,if you can a bit higher up the tree,post etc.
    The problems I have had with these are;

Like outside PIR lights,that are triggered with branch movement in windy conditions,you will have that problem

Direct sunlight being able to trigger the camera reflecting off a wet field.

Cattle,being curious and stupid beasts,seeing something new in their enviroment,standing non stop in front of it and wasting all the credit on the Sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Between 40 and 250 euros.Depending on whom you buy the camera off.It's an inbuilt function in the more "advanced "[Now over 6 yerars since I posted about them here first] models.

MYTH!! The Infra red flash only activates for micro seconds to take a picture in darkness and stays on for as long as you have set for a movie clip.What alerts animals is the shutter noise and the electronic micro whirr.It doesnt seem to bother them mind,they just jump t on hearing it ,or look in the direction of where the noise is. Solution is simple,put the camera ,if you can a bit higher up the tree,post etc.
    The problems I have had with these are;

Like outside PIR lights,that are triggered with branch movement in windy conditions,you will have that problem

Direct sunlight being able to trigger the camera reflecting off a wet field.

Cattle,being curious and stupid beasts,seeing something new in their enviroment,standing non stop in front of it and wasting all the credit on the Sim card.

Great craic hanging one in woodland alright, if you're not careful all you get is a memory card full of lovely pictures of waving branches.....

I presume they can see the IR light and if it flashes it will spook them. As in foxs.

I presume they can see the IR light and if it flashes it will spook them. As in foxs.

I had one set to take 3 pics, never seemed to spook deer.

Got plenty of pics of people with guns in my lease who should not have been there.;)
    And plenty of branches !!

One camera was stolen unfortunatly - it was 12 feet up a tree!

That is a good idea to put the pir up high.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I had one set to take 3 pics, never seemed to spook deer.

Got plenty of pics of people with guns in my lease who should not have been there.;)
    And plenty of branches !!

One camera was stolen unfortunatly - it was 12 feet up a tree!

Some of them can be locked into a metal security box that can be chained/bolted onto a tree.

• Advertisement

Some of them can be locked into a metal security box that can be chained/bolted onto a tree.
    Yea they were a good idea when they were €200 each , now that they are €30-70 it really is not worth the cost of the security box.

Advertisement