Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Credits Married Couple

• 26-04-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

My family returned from 8 years in Australia in 2017. I had a baby that year so didn't return to work until June 2018 and had transferred all my tax credits to my husband. I started working part-time so left my credits with him. I now work 4 days with a variable 5th day where I do some contracting. He still earns significantly more than me (approx 20k) and together we have a joint income of 100k. Does it make any difference if my tax credits stay with him? He has a fixed salary and mine can be variable so from a budgeting perspective it works well as we know exactly how much he gets each month. However the extra 5th day nearly doesn't seem worth it as I get taxed so much on it.

Any advice would be much appreciated. The tax office pretty much said its our decision. I'm just wondering does it make any difference financially?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Tax credits & cut off are the two different parts of this.

Tax Credits : - Your credits are probably €1650 x 2 personal and €1,650 x 2 Employee credit. You can transfer all bar your own employee credit to the other. You've probably done this.

Cut-off : - Max any one can get at 20% is €43,550 with up to €26,300 at 20% for the other. So joint max at 20% is €69,800. As it appears you jointly exceed that and are both paying 40% on marginal income then there is no benefit by moving them apart from the psychological impact possibly of you paying more on your share of income as he has the bulk of the credits/cut-off. It's like a see-saw if you move them. One end goes up and the other goes down by the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mcswec

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes it is quite depressing when I see how much tax has come out of my pay cheque! But if jointly it doesn't make a difference then that's fine. It all goes into the same pot anyway :)

Thanks!

Advertisement