Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Condensation between window panes

• 26-04-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've noticed condensation forming between the two panes on one of my double glazed windows. I assume this means the seal that holds the glass in place has ruptured allowing air to seep in? Can this be fixed?
    The window itself is a large wooden frame bay window approx 15 years old. All the other panes seem fine - the pane with the condensation is approx 180 cm wide x 30 cm tall. If it's possible to repair it I would opt for that rather than replacing the whole window.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

ercork wrote: »
    Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've noticed condensation forming between the two panes on one of my double glazed windows. I assume this means the seal that holds the glass in place has ruptured allowing air to seep in? Can this be fixed?
    The window itself is a large wooden frame bay window approx 15 years old. All the other panes seem fine - the pane with the condensation is approx 180 cm wide x 30 cm tall. If it's possible to repair it I would opt for that rather than replacing the whole window.

Its just the glass unit needs replacing not the window, repair is possible however it would need to be taken out and repaired in a factory, therefore you will need to fill the hole in the mean time, best to replace prob not much difference in the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Its just the glass unit needs replacing not the window, repair is possible however it would need to be taken out and repaired in a factory, therefore you will need to fill the hole in the mean time, best to replace prob not much difference in the cost

That's good to know, thanks. Any idea how much a replacement pane is likely to cost? Also if you can recommend anybody in the Dublin area that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Who2

The usual cause of condensation is the seal on the unit breaking down from using the wrong type of silicone to hold in packers. The silicon reacts with the seal if there’s any touching it and it then stars to disintegrate slowly allowing moisture and air to soak in , instead of the gas. The price per pane will depend on size and whether it needs to be toughened or laminated or even both. A smallish normal pane will cost from €40 euro up but you’ll have to pay then for measuring and fitting on top of it . A lot of the time it’s safer to just upgrade the windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Who2 wrote: »
    The usual cause of condensation is the seal on the unit breaking down from using the wrong type of silicone to hold in packers. The silicon reacts with the seal if there’s any touching it and it then stars to disintegrate slowly allowing moisture and air to soak in , instead of the gas. The price per pane will depend on size and whether it needs to be toughened or laminated or even both. A smallish normal pane will cost from €40 euro up but you’ll have to pay then for measuring and fitting on top of it . A lot of the time it’s safer to just upgrade the windows.

Thanks. It's part of a large bay window, 2m wide X 2m tall X 40cm deep. I'd imagine it would be very expensive to replace the entire window. Probably well over €1000? I'll look into just getting the pane replaced. It's 180cm X 30cm so will probably be a fair bit more than the €40 you mentioned. If anybody knows anybody reliable in the Dublin area you might PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Who2

ercork wrote: »
    Thanks. It's part of a large bay window, 2m wide X 2m tall X 40cm deep. I'd imagine it would be very expensive to replace the entire window. Probably well over €1000? I'll look into just getting the pane replaced. It's 180cm X 30cm so will probably be a fair bit more than the €40 you mentioned. If anybody knows anybody reliable in the Dublin area you might PM me.

The glass should be around 120-140 as it will need to be toughened about will probably be around the same as there’s two call outs, one to measure and one to fit, i would just go to your local glazier and get him to call over. They will know by looking at the pane whether it’s warm, edge, low e, etc and they should be able to match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement